Maldives

clammy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
we dont really get to see the "bottom" ;)

what is the average depth? n the deepest u went in pursuit of the mantas and all the macro?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

the last pic is a sea slug right??? Norman, what is it? tot u have the nudibranch waterproof guide? can u id it?

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

It is a Maldiven law of MAX 30m depth regardless if you are nitrox, or deep diver.

The mantas at the cleaning station is actually at a quite shallow depth of around 16m.

Average dive depth is +-25m.

At the reefs and bommies, its covered with corals, live and dead, and rocks. so not the silty or sandy bottom that we are use to.

Cant see the bottom as at the walls and drop offs, they just seem to go forever, unlike at tioman or dayang where we can actually see the "ground bottom" at around 41 meters max.

• SRC Member

errr.. just a question.. might sound silly, if u go beyond 30M, when u surface, they arrest u izit??? B)

• SRC Member

HAhaha..

I asked the exact same question!

The instructor just gave me this "sick" look, and reminded me that they have the rights to bar me from diving anymore, and had my name in the blacklist so that no matter which resort i go, they wont allow me to dive... And i couldnt risk dat... can i? :D

• SRC Member

what if u accidently decend to 32M to take a pic and realise it later after the award winning shot and immediately ascent to 28M or something like that??? still kenna the same ban izit??

if so, wah lau... better set the max depth in dive comp to 30M :unsure:

• SRC Member

think the crux of the law is "intentional or accidental". Most dive operators will give warning etc first. And under some situations like being sucked down into "washing machines" (which can be common in maldives), there is very little one can do to counter scuh situations. guess bo bian just have to sit out 1 or two day of diving til the operator gives the green light.

But as with all legislation, there is always a grey area, and the law have to take into account each situation.

And it is also compulsory for ALL divers to wear a dive computer in the maldives. Guess this rules are just to ensure safe diving practice and to entail that diving is fun. :)

• SRC Member

dun have that slate in hand. go back and find....

clammy, you are being humble, you are very good already, but think you need to take note on the composition of the those landscape, the bridge shot would do better if you put it off center slanting abit. :)

now, who wants my reefmaster ? :lol::P

• SRC Member

oh.. forget to add that this blacktip sharks can be seen all around the island by the beach. Range from 1foot to about 1 meter. cute fellows, but shy. tried to take a pic of them underwater while snorkelling but failed.

post-12-1085556301.jpg

Edited by clammy

• SRC Member
Superp :lol: .....how I wish I can dive!!!....nice! :P

Go learn how to dive lor...

• SRC Member
u mean like this? or refering to other bridge?

the other one.... its better to see the whole bridge but not dead at the centre unless theres something at the end thats of interest.

and look out for the horizon... most of the time we just forget about it. End up have to tilt the head to look at the pic. :P

• SRC Member
For those whose will like to visit Maldives, not all resorts provide drinking water, the last round of my 5 days 3 nights trip, it cost me US$25 for plain mineral water. Better pack a luggage of drinking water here b4 depart...... :blink:

clammy, does the resort u went to, provide drinking water?

• SRC Member

Go learn how to dive lor...

I want leh....but my Mdm ask me to wait for her.....and yet she travels so much......Sigh! .......life of a married man......cannot own time own target!!! Fortunately she supported me on my reefing hobby! ;) ....not too bad after all.....hahaha :P

• SRC Member
I want leh....but my Mdm ask me to wait for her.....and yet she travels so much......Sigh! .......life of a married man......cannot own time own target!!! Fortunately she supported me on my reefing hobby! ;) ....not too bad after all.....hahaha :P

buy mask and snorkel then.. swim in your tank.. hahaha... but becareful, it is a very expensive sport to take.. and addictive too... hahaha..

It is good that she wants to learn with u.. can buddy her.. like me :P only disadvantage is that u cannot stare or ogle at other bikini-clad babes now... :(

• SRC Member

Haha,

Right on! The resort i was at also dont provide drinking water.

I was on Fullboard, yet lunch and dinner no drinks provided also. Breakfast got coffee and fruit juice, so at least no need spend more on drinks.

There is an "all inclusive package" provided by most resorts and that will include all drinks, including alcoholic drinks. But then, each package cost US$35 per pax per night for the duration of the stay... :shock::shock::shock:

I was told water was expensive there also, therefore, i dabao those instant milo mix, and two big bottles of mineral water from changi airport.. guess wat, even tho 5star resort, they dont provide kettle! :pirate::pirate::pirate:

And for your reference,

a can of coke US$3.75

a can of tiger US$4

Mineral water (Evian) 1.5l US$5.00

Mineral water (local) 1.5l US$3.00

Well, even the dive operators dont provide water during dives.. So, we really spend quite alot on drinking water after a day out in the sun, breathing compressed air! :angry::angry::angry:

• SRC Member
Wah!!!...drinking water more expensive than BEER!!!

Then i'll rather drink seawater :lol:

i think i bring my own Hyflux or desalination machine... :( how to tahan with the drinking water like that price...

• SRC Member

Yalor..

at 1st i also tot of trying to save on spending on water...

but then if comparing to wat most other people are spending (US$35/day/pax)

i figure, wat the heck.. just drink lah.. wont hit that sum also...

Somemore, its really quite weird to save on essentials like drinking water on a holiday trip.

But, that said, still can feel the pinch when ordering coke..

End up trying their cocktails, or fruit punch as even tho cost more, at least feel like more worth the money mah!

Just a tot for people who are planning to go:

If going there for short trips like 5days or so, can really consider bringing bottled water in the hand carry or something. Dont need to bring much clothings as we wont get much chance to wear them anyway. Most of the time in swim wear.

For non divers, its really a beautiful place, and not that costly for a short trip too. Just try to do at least one dive to experience the beautiful underwater.

And think about it: its only 4 hours away to such a beautiful island paradise. And to get to a similarly beautiful place like Redang, needs 10 hours journey. So for those highflyers with high paying jobs but limited time off, the maldives is definitely one of the more appealing destinations for those who love the sea.

post-12-1085641169.jpg