WTB : New Lightings

• SRC Member

My tank 36 x 24 x 18 inch.

Presently using Coral Sun 10000K FL and another actinic blue tube.

Want to upgrade the present lighting.

Can someone help to recommend what kind I should use. :bow:

Also, is there anyone selling. Thank you. :thanks:

• SRC Member

besides the eight fishes, it is my intention to keep corals. i know there are many different types of coral, soft and hard, and generally they will thrive well with good lighting.

hence my request for recommendations and desire to upgrade present lightings.

• SRC Member

lightningstrike, thanks for your recommendation. :thanks::bow:

for the benefit of those who may be reading this, the height of my tank is 24 inches, and a width of 18 inches. that being the case, light penetration would be deeper and i tend to agree with bro lightningstrike that MH appears to be the better choice.

• SRC Member

If you are going for MH, you might wish to consider my lights which I am selling at this thread

German-made MH Light Set For Sale

All information on the light set are in the thread but in case you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact me.

Please feel free to ask around for advice but I think the general consenus is that my lights are good enough even for a 4ft tank so your 2ft depth is no problem even if you wish to keep corals and clams.

Cheers!

• SRC Member
yeah get the german MH from Marvellous.. best deal ever, somemore got chio chio hood..... :)

the chio chio hood with me liao lah...i took over the tank with the hood....but then again, i sold the hood at a lost cos i managed to get a lighter hood for free....

:D

go for MH....it is not as terribly hot as most reefers think....with good air circulation between the MH and the water surface, the increase in water temperature is not tat bad....

i'm running a single 150W with no chiller....when MH is off (1 fan running) water temperature is less than 27, with MH on (2 fans running) temperature is still less than 27....but if that is now lah, after the heat waves.....

during the heat wave period 3weeks back, my tank was running up to 30 (sometimes more) with MH on....without MH on it was slightly less than 30....well at least i now have 1yr's time to save money for a chiller...b4 the next heat wave comes.....

• SRC Member

yeap....very good price.....VERY GOOD Deal

but 150w might not be able to penatrate deep enough for aa 24inche depth....

you might also want to take out all the ballast to reduce the weight...my went from abou 10kg to 3 kg!!!

• SRC Member

suggest u for for a deep sand bed to 6 inches, with have a least 2 X 250W MH and 1/4hp chiller. U dont need a branded items but the MH bulb and ballast must be good reliable brand as the light emitted is really what ur corals need. So I suggest German goods on MH

• SRC Member

First of all, let me thank all fellow reefers for their recommendations of my German made MH Lights

If your tank depth is 2ft and you are going for DSB of about 6 inches, the blance depth is only 1.5ft.

Regardless, my MH lights are actually 2 x 150W; 10,000K instead of the commonly touted 1 x 150W. If you ask around, most people will tell you that they are good enough for a 4ft tank, much less a 3ft. Again, the details can be found on my sales thread. Honestly, I do not think anyone will tell you that $500 for a german-made MH is expensive. Since I don't consider myself an expert, you might wish to ask for more advise but 2 x 250W is way overkill. More for 5ft tank, I think.

The lights were used for less than 4 months before I had to give up my 3ft tank due to work.

I am now planning to setup a smaller, perhaps nano tank just so that I do not give up the hobby entirely. (Anyone wanna give valuable advice?!)

I will be travelling for work tomorrow and be back by Monday so I may not reply to your queries as quickly as I would like. Please feel free to contact me via PM or email if you are interested.

Cheers

My tank 36 x 24 x 18 inch.

Presently using Coral Sun 10000K FL and another actinic blue tube.

Want to upgrade the present lighting.

Can someone help to recommend what kind I should use. :bow:

Also, is there anyone selling. Thank you. :thanks:

Bro,

if u upgrading to MH, do consider Marcvelous lights.... for 3 feet tank, i tink if u use 1x150W the sides of the tank would be pretty dark... the 2x150W spreads the light around pretty evenly and give the LPS the amount of light they need.... having the 2 actinics would give u a good blend of PAR and actinics... its also a colour dat i tink most people find pleasing to the eye....

IMO, definitely a very good set of lights and great price!! :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg