Return piping (suggestion)

sunny03

• SRC Member

As tonight is a boring night

i was thinking of a piping system for my return to my 4ft tank

do you think this kind of return able to get rid of the dead spot around the tank better den having a return pipe

there are 4 outlet (black arrow) to the tank 1 inlet (red arrow)

if this is possible i will carry on with each outlet into the stragtic placement in the tank

post-9-1086967859.jpg

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

must see if your overflow pipe is wide enough to allow 6000l of water to pass through first.... just connect a one-way valve to the pump BEFORE fixing the returning branched out pipes.. actually 3 outputs works better as each will have approximately 1900+ liters depending on how high is the main tank from the sump.. my tank has 4 returns 2x3000l/h and 2x2500l/h.. got 4 one way valves and returns are built directly into the main tank. its just a 3ft tank so i get around 27 turnovers per hour.. no extra power heads needed!! returns are placed stragetically to elimiate dead spots and the best part is all are hidden in live rocks! one more thing.. remember to fix a ball valve too so that the pump can be taken out for servicing..

cheers! :angel:

• SRC Member

i thought the 2 output nearest to the input will have the highest flow coming out????

I notice that in rainbar, in general the hole nearest to the input is aways the strongest and the one at the end the weakest....

so instead of having the four output arrange in a striaght line formation, why not try a spider like formation with the output equal distant from the input? should generate some interesting pattern....but then will be challanging to place in the tank.....

Just a suggestion, use a SCWD to alternate the currents and if you are only facing strategic spots and not as a main circulation i do not see any problems :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

1. For the both end i intend to use a reducer and reduce the outlet. so that i could attach to the LR frame that i made for the LR so that i could get rid of the dead spot behind the the LR.

2. for the other two outlet one will be using SCWD to create current the other will be using as spare or to channel water to other parts of the tank. or i might stick to 3 outlet depends on the pump output.

3. will be using ball valve for all the outlet to control the flow

4. of course will added in a check valve just in case..........

5. Will make a durso pipe around 1.5in do u think is the durso pipe able to cope with the flow ?? ( i also have a hole drill on the side of the tank just in case the durso cant cope with the flow )

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices