Another 2 version DIY skimmer

chipson1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sponsor

hi chipson,

is the swirling or the direct injection is better? i see all ur skimmers are the swirling type.....

im in the mist of diying the becket too.....

what i ve read is that if u have a short reaction chamber, a direct injection will be better. the swirling is for those who have tall reaction chamber.

im doing a direction injection type for my skimmer....btw, it will be @ 2.5ft in height.

anyone have a better explaination. please help.... :thanks:<_<

• SRC Member
hi chipson,

is the swirling or the direct injection is better? i see all ur skimmers are the swirling type.....

im in the mist of diying the becket too.....

what i ve read is that if u have a short reaction chamber, a direct injection will be better. the swirling is for those who have tall reaction chamber.

im doing a direction injection type for my skimmer....btw, it will be @ 2.5ft in height.

anyone have a better explaination. please help.... :thanks:<_<

Hi Dr,

I don't think there is much difference between the swirling and direct spray in term of skimmate result, it's more like a trend. Similar to type of skmmate, there are much arguements about what skmmate is better, wet or dry.

It works both way, the PM Bullet 1 to 3 all use direct injection, of which their reaction box is taller than the swirl one, and a baffle is needed to prevent micro bubbles being released into the sump.

PM XL and Pro all use swirl method, they either eliminate the box or shrunk the size of the box, if swirling technic is employed no reaction box is needed, the box is more for production convenience, the swirling technic will also prevent micro bubbles escape into the sump.

Cheers! :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• Sponsor

what u have said is true......the swirl type will have a smaller base which the direct type will need a bigger base which require a baffle.

i really hope my beckett will be as successful as urs.......donno will look as great? :lol:

btw, thanks for sharing........i have learn alot from u on this beckett project.

cheers

• SRC Member

I think to DIY is simple, to make it nice and pro will have to pay a price, nevertheless, nice or urgly looking skimmer has no bearing on the performance. Keep it up.

Cheers! :whistle:whistle

Chiposn1

• SRC Member
very encouraging......cheers.

i have got it cut to size........but i worry my gluing portion will be messy.... :lol:

try not to remove too much of the protective paper...if not will be like me....

not very easy to seal, but not tat difficult afterall....just gotta plan it precisely and JUST DO IT!!!

• SRC Member

This is really a good skimmer. I have test run this unit for 1 day on my Iwaki MD40 and it skimmed 5minutes after the installation.

But too bad, someone has already ordered that unit.

This is my 24" beckett done by Chipson and it break in after 1 day. The pic shows the skimate after 3 days running it.

post-9-1089081143.jpg

• SRC Member

Another pic on the skimmer.

Currently, I'm having a LR tank only with

1 yellow mimic tang

1 six wrasser

1 frishery angel and

few yashia gobies.

Very low bio-load in my tank and the skimmer is able to skim some quality skimmate. Will try to adjust for more dry skimmate.

post-9-1089081455.jpg

• SRC Member

This is my beckett skimmer running on a Resun MD40 pump. The skimmer height is 24 inches. Set it up yesterday afternoon and this is the result shown. Pardon the photo quality as using handphone cam.

My tank has a very low bioload.. one YT, one royal gamma, two harlequins, two cleaner and one crab <_<:lol:

There is some green tea colour skimmate in the collection cup. The skimmate is still quite wet at this point of time. The water level was set high to assist in the breaking in process. Will lower it down soon to get dryer skimmate.

I used a MD55 initially to run the skimmer but the pump was too powerful for it. Changed to a MD40 and the results was instant.

The materials used are top notch and great product. No regrets. :) Special thanks to Chipson for his patience and time .. Cheers

post-9-1089639402.jpg

Life is a Cruel Teacher. It punishes you first and then gives you the lesson

• 3 weeks later...