Know any local car forums

Tanzy

but hor..even if it is very fuel efficient as claimed or not in reality...

the price may put off some others who have other priorities, like boot space, cabin space, ride comfort....for all these features, i think the rx8 fail miserably..hehe

for that price, there are many other choices :)

but road tax wise, i think it can definitely be the lowest or one of the lowest for a sporty car, no debate on that :D

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

The RX8 presents a good compromise because it has 4 doors and can sit 4 adults comfortably (better than 325Ci convertible). $700/year road tax for 215bhp is well worth the money considering the rest of the competition will be at least 2000cc engine if not more. If anyone is interested, I think you can bargain with the dealer for another $2000 discount.

STI WRX going at $131K with extras and Nissan 350Z going at $156K but first year road tax free (>$4000 discount). Both cars come with Brembo brakes!

I'll be getting my ride early August.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
now i wonder what colour is your new car :rolleyes:

You will know make, model and colour if and when you see it. :P

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

From the way I see, he's got a crush on the RX8. I think it will be either black or red.

Think I must save some money to upgrade my ECu in I want to drive beside you. hee hee

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

congrates Tanzy,

The RX8 is a good car. Just that my wife think it's too flashy for me. She doesn't want too much attention driving it or with me driving it.

Now Tanzy is cyclops or cyclopeeze? :P

• SRC Member
The RX8 presents a good compromise because it has 4 doors and can sit 4 adults comfortably (better than 325Ci convertible). $700/year road tax for 215bhp is well worth the money considering the rest of the competition will be at least 2000cc engine if not more. If anyone is interested, I think you can bargain with the dealer for another $2000 discount.

STI WRX going at $131K with extras and Nissan 350Z going at $156K but first year road tax free (>$4000 discount). Both cars come with Brembo brakes!

I'll be getting my ride early August.

Now that you're at a critical junction of deciding, my advice is to be absolutely sure which is more important- a car that looks good, or a car that just goes plain fast. Cars that do both probably cost twice as much. I was fortunate enough to be in the same position (RX8, Evo, STi), and in the end decided on an STi largely because I couldn't afford an Evo. :P

Personally, if money is no object and outright performance is the most important, I'd say go for the Evo 8 MR. It's the cheapest sub 5 second 0-100kmh car ever produced. The STi is a cheaper choice at almost 20k less, and would probably be the performance bargain at the moment. I drive an STi and can't complain for the money........Porsche owners give you a wide berth of caution on the roads :whistle

IMO, The RX-8 is a car that looks good. It's also got good reviews on Best Motoring in Japan. While performance is good enough compared to most other cars, it can't hold a handle to the STi or the Evo performance wise, so it's going to be a handicap should tracking at Pasir Gudang or Sepang be something you'd want to engage in at some point. My neighbour had a 250 PS RX-8 6MT and changed his car to an Evo 8 like 6 months after owning it. He thought the performacne was over-rated. Do note that the torque curve for the Rx8 is not really favourable for city driving, as the power only comes on the higher bands, pretty much like a Honda VTEC.

• SRC Member

Indeed. If going for performance, Evo rank 1st, closely followed by STI. A little more budget will be WRX (just don't get blue).

These are my fav Jap rally cars.

I almost went for a WRX or STI but stop short because I'm a sucker for hatch.

Though the RX8 is a good cross between looks and performance at an Ok price. Best attraction is still doors and road tax. And Cyclopeeze! :P

orgasbt:

you just got the car not long, why want to sell?

something wrong with it?

i think your present ride is good, if wanna change, go for the mazda6?

moving from your current ride to mazda3 not too much a jump :)

those car sales engineers all grinning widely in most showrooms, fat fat wallets every month :lol:

• SRC Member

Benz,

OK, but also busy now. If there isn't a chance, when I'm back for good there will be loads.

orgasbt,

Mazda 3 looks very fast but performance doesn't match its looks. I think the Corolla Altis is cheaper and slightly faster. Avoid Subaru TS 1.6 at all cost and don't join the plague of WR-Act bengmobile on the roads.

Have you considered Chevrolet (Daewoo) Optra?

Chris,

The Evo costs about $20K more than the STI WRX and looks uglier. Actually, you should choose the mica blue if you get the STI WRX because the colour is unique to the STI WRX. If you see a normal WRX with that blue, it must be sprayed.

As for me, I'm not a hatch fan because I'm a RWD fan.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

mazda 3 sports with the giant 17 inch rims is horribly slow in pickup.I drove my friends one and well. glad its not my Car. Subaru TS haha. Get a japanese Car. Like tamiya cars. can change everything

• SRC Member

European car can also change everything. No diff as long as it is performance oriented.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

I am back. For a while.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Yep. If you want to tune, make sure it is performance built, Jap or Euro doesn't matter.

That's the reason why the A4 1.8T is more exp than the A4 2.0mu.

• SRC Member

I don't think there's a Audi forum but I did find BMW Singapore forum and Volvo and Saab forum. Lots of modding and tuning going on in there.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

actually for continental cars, i have a softspot for volvo....

a little break away from the mainstream continentals like mercedes, BMW...

previously they look totally boxy, at least now look slightly better...

anyway my eyesight must be quite bad, coz i always cant differentiate the s60 and s80 from far, especially from the rear...hehe

the s80 seems like a macdonald's UPSIZE of the the s60 :P

• SRC Member

The S80 T6 is one good coffin rocket! 0-100 in 7.2 sec and 380nM of torque. All twin turbo goodness to beat most unmodded cars on the expressway in Swedish comfort. I love driving my father's S80 but it is old and COE was very high when he bought it so it has been exported.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Audi and VW are tuned by the same mod company, Oettinger and ABT. In S'pore, the company doing it is Autovox.

Actually, I like the new Volvo V50. The S80 too Exec looking.