Is mysis shrimp complete diet for angel?

• SRC Member

Dear All,

I bought a Blueface angel fish recently and it has been doing well in my reef tank. Not eating the coral. It is a greedy eater and eats about 3-4 cubes of frozen mysis shrimp a day.

Other than mysis shrimp, it does not eat anything else. I have tried to soak the NLS pellet in garlic juice and feed to it with the mysis but it will just skip the pellet, and go straight to the mysis.

My question is, is mysis shrimp a complete diet that angel fish can survive on it alone?

Thanks,

Patrick

Bro, if would be much better if your angels have a balanced diet, like a bit of blended food, abit of pellets and some plant-based foods... Maybe you would wan to starve the fella for a day and feed pellets the 2nd day, dun worry, it wouldn't die and in the long run when it starts eating pellets, its better for it!

Juz my 2 cts... :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Blueface is not difficult to keep, and given of time, it will start to eat everything you offer to him, but sadly it include your coral . May be you will see him give a good habit several months or years, but he will soon or later eat your coral, and FYI blueface is the most scariest big angel, he will not hesitate kill your new angel without any mercy. That's why i donate my 4,5 years blueface to my sea world, as he is too fiercing.

• SRC Member

wow...sounds like I need a FOWLR tank huh? I also heard that Blueface cannot tolerate any other angel fish. So it has to be one and only one angel in the tank. But in my opinion, it is the best looking angel fish, so I don't have a problem with that. Just hope that it will be trained up to just eat pellet and frozen food and don't touch my coral.

wow...sounds like I need a FOWLR tank huh? I also heard that Blueface cannot tolerate any other angel fish. So it has to be one and only one angel in the tank. But in my opinion, it is the best looking angel fish, so I don't have a problem with that. Just hope that it will be trained up to just eat pellet and frozen food and don't touch my coral.

Then it wouldn't be a problem if you think blueface is your No.1 angel and if you happy enough with one angel. Try to give the BF as much as nutrition as possible if you don't want you BF fade in color. Once settle, your BF will soon take pellets, but as i said you also put your coral in danger. IMHO

• SRC Member

The funny thing is that I did a search on the Central Reef and there were a few threads on Blueface but most people say their Blueface settling quite well, and become a "model citizen" after a while. So could this be luck?

As for me, eventhough I also like Majestic and Regal, but one blueface in my reef tank is enough nightmare for me already. I don't think I want to go through sleepless night again by introducing more angel into my reef tank.

BTW, do you think Majestic and Regal will be more well behave than Blueface in a reef tank?

Thanks,

Patrick

FYI, I've been wrote many times with Mr. Greg Schiemer, he is a best friend of the famous Mr. Julian Sprung. Greg has been tried almost all kind of angel in his 10 feet reef tank, any species you name it. but he find only regal angelfish is the most tolerateable fish to keep in the reef tank second choice is majestic angel. The rest are behave very sweet either in months or years before start to picking the coral. He suspect also some (or many, sorry i forgot) of dwarf angel also behave like this, as far as i still remember coral beauty is the most tolerateable in reef tank.

Read somewhere that sponges are essential as part of angelfish diet if not they will have nutritional problems in the long run. An incomplete diet has been linked to head and lateral line syndrome (HLLS). That's why in the states for commercially prepared angelfish frozen foods they incoporate sponges.

Alternatively if you stick to mysis you should enrich them with selcon. Can be found at eaquarist. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/