Review of Reef Maniacs Miniature Beckett Skimmer

jc85

• SRC Member

Yes. Its has been running on MD40. Never change.

Sure. Will arrange with you. Been busy with work while preparing for my In-camp. :cry2:

Hi jc85,

Don't mind I asking ...for 72 hours of break in for a beckett skimmer is pretty long isn't it ?

I am saying this because .... usu they start skimming almost like 2 to 3 hours later ? I mean I am not talking about there are alot of oily stuff on the beckett or what !

Correct me if I am wrong.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I happened to be present to witness the initial test run of the mini-beckett on a MD55 (too powerful and too turbulent). Within 10 mins the top layer of the bubbles were already tea colored. So in fact, the skimmer has already started skimming. But due to the presence of oils, etc on the inner side of the acrylic, the rising of the foam was hindered. I think break-in time refers to the period needed for the foam to be able to rise with high efficiency (to reach the collection cup), not the time needed for the skimming to be noticeable. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

In actual fact, the skimmer starts to collect skimmate after ard 24hrs. Did not post any pictures due to the power failure incident.

Imho, even if the break-in takes 2days (athough it is actually 1day in my case) is still acceptable. My old weipro took me almost 1week to break in (although they are both of different class). The reason why I believe it takes me 1 day to break in is due to my new pump (MD40). Bro weileong is right, the tube on the MD40 when new has a layer of grease in them.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member
I happened to be present to witness the initial test run of the mini-beckett on a MD55 (too powerful and too turbulent). Within 10 mins the top layer of the bubbles were already tea colored. So in fact, the skimmer has already started skimming. But due to the presence of oils, etc on the inner side of the acrylic, the rising of the foam was hindered. I think break-in time refers to the period needed for the foam to be able to rise with high efficiency (to reach the collection cup), not the time needed for the skimming to be noticeable.  ;)

Actually, I do get some "green tea" bubbles within an hour of running. However, they are not "sticking" to the wall of the tube thus I cstill onsider the skimmer (skimmer and pump as a whole set) as not skimming.

In my personal term, when there are dirt/skimmate (not neccessary on the collection cup) that start to stick to the wall, the skimmer can be consider as broken in. This is because as long as these dirt do not re-enter the tank, the skimmer has done its job. ;)

I noticed the brown grease in the MD40 (not present in the resun MD55) after I tried to use it on my old EV-240. So I guess those using the MD40 better take it apart and clean it with hot water or whatever to remove the grease first. Makes a world of difference.

Even the PVC pipes sometimes also have some chemical and oil... a bit off topic but after I changed to a acylic sump, my beckett is still breaking in at this moment.

In future will soak/wash everything in hot water first or run one round with hot water to get rid of those grease so the skimmer can break in faster.

so the MD55 is too powerful for it?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Supporter

Hi jc85,

Don't mind I asking ...for 72 hours of break in for a beckett skimmer is pretty long isn't it ?

I am saying this because .... usu they start skimming almost like 2 to 3 hours later ? I mean I am not talking about there are alot of oily stuff on the beckett or what !

Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi Surfedelic,

The so called breaking in time normally only happens on the first run..

There's a number of reasons that do attribute to this long initial period.. mostly have to do with chemicals or oils from either the acrylic manufacturing processes or even the equipment that runs them jus like what Weileong had mentioned.

Do take note that this only happens on the very first initial run.

After the first run, you will begin to notice skimming within minutes of running the Becketts....

I also noticed that the breakin in time differs esp. when the acrylics used comes from different batches. I have build skimmers that starts foaming immediately and others that took 3-4 days before any results are shown..maybe resulting in " that skimmer only draws out water " rumour going around... :heh:

but once the initial run is completed.... results would often be satisfying... ;)

Thats why reefers here suggest giving the acylic tubes a good wash before firing up new skimmers.