do you feed your corals?

ryan

• SRC Member

hey guys...

i was just wondering if you guys feed your corals...

my tank is mainly LPS and i don't feed plankton...

only throw in frozen cyclop eeze once a day during feeding time...

i know some guys feed manually daily on top of plankton...

how many of you do? please indicate here and what you use to feed thanks!

i'm worried my corals don't get enough food and cannot totally depend on lights...

especially my prata... ;)

please advise!

thanks guys!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
DT plus golden pearls once every 2 days. And mysis for hammer, bubble, brain etc once every week.

JustinK, where to buy mysis?

For my LPS and SPS I feed them with mixed Cycloeeze,GP,phytoplankton twice a week & silver fish or prawn meats every sunday.

Ryan, GP is cheap and good........you might wan to consider it.

Eric

Both LPS and SPS don't take phyto...they are carnivorous corals and need animal based foods. Consumers of phyto are mostly filter feeders like clams, scallops, sea squirts, sponges, etc.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

so you guys manually feed individual corals daily or weekly with mysis and brine shrimp and cut up prawn?

how do ya'll do it without the fish stealing the food?

when do ya'll feed?

and how much?

thinking of getting the aquapharm 5in1 coral food...

any comments?

GP still better? :P

• SRC Member

usually the corals just grab it and will extend it polyp to engulf the food. I fed by plate coral by just leaving a piece of Market prawn near it's mouth then the sides of the mouth would extend and pull it in and swallow it slowly... I squirt Mysis shrimps and soaked pellets into each polyps of my cup corals and sun corals... they have shown significant growth under this feeding regime.. sun coral polyps multiplied from 20+ to around 60 heads! cup coral colouring up and showing much much better expansion can see skeletal growth also... my hairy mushrooms and yumas also take small pieces of prawn meat... I also feeed my bubble coral prawn meat.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
Both LPS and SPS don't take phyto...they are carnivorous corals and need animal based foods. Consumers of phyto are mostly filter feeders like clams, scallops, sea squirts, sponges, etc.

FuEl

so what do you feed your LPS, SPS ... what food/brand ? i will be building up my tank with LPS, SPS ... so its good to know what selection of food is available for them...

currently.. feeding prawn for anemones and phytoplankton for clam, sponges and filters feeders..

CHEERS !

LiveRock

• SRC Member

sorry need help also.

when i put a small piece of prawn into the mouth of the prata, before it closes up, some fishes will take it away. frustrating to see that happened. :(

also, how to feed the bubbles ?

when i put in frozen brine shrimp or even mysis, either the fishes will eat them up or the water current will suck it into the overflow. this leaves no chance at all for the corals to eat. :angry:

please advise. thanks a zillion. :thanks:

• SRC Member
JustinK, where to buy mysis?

For my LPS and SPS I feed them with mixed Cycloeeze,GP,phytoplankton twice a week & silver fish or prawn meats every sunday.

Ryan, GP is cheap and good........you might wan to consider it.

Eric

Mysis shrimp lor, just squirt into the mouth ;) i always get mine at ML :)

• SRC Member
also, how to feed the bubbles ?

when i put in frozen brine shrimp or even mysis, either the fishes will eat them up or the water current will suck it into the overflow.  this leaves no chance at all for the corals to eat.  :angry:

please advise.  thanks a zillion.  :thanks:

Take a dropper, suck up the shrimp, stick it into the mouth gently :pinch: and just squirt it, your bubble will take it in straight away. Your fishes will have no chance of even getting near it :lol:

i put silverfish inside my bubble....i thik it help seem to get healthier ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10