Bottled Bacteria

marcvelous

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Just started cycling my 2 x 1 x 1ft tank one week ago and was wondering if anyone can recommend any ways to accelerate the process.

I am currently using four pieces of dead rocks and about 2 inches of grade 1 sand. Threw in one market prawn and started dosing Nutrafin Cycle one week ago.

Does anyone have any feedback on this product? Tried searching through the forum but not much write-up on this product.

Any other products that are good in encouraging beneficial bacteria growth and colonisation?

I live in the Bendemeer area. Any kind brothers wanna lend me their LR just for the cycling process?

Any feedback welcome!

Thanks!

was using Nutrafin Cycle during my cycling too ...but my cycling took very long dun really know whether it help :o

i think the best way is to get some cure live rock and sand from fellow reefer to kickstart the process.... :D

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Why the hurry?

I'm in this hobby to keep fishes, not enjoy seeing an empty tank with rotting market prawns in the house.

LOLOL.

I know of the method of borrowing LR from fellow reefers. As mentioned, I live in the Bendemeer area but have yet to see anyone come forward with an offer to help :(

• SRC Member

Patience is a virture bro. ;)

Do it the proper way n save urself frm future water prob

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

;) That's the word bro..

Use the cycling period to do more research. ;) Goodluck. :)

true.... u can always use these 1 month period to plan further what lifestock to get, landscaping, filtration improvement.... a lot of things is easier to be done now then latter when all the life stock are inside the tank....

• SRC Member
Why the hurry?

I'm in this hobby to keep fishes, not enjoy seeing an empty tank with rotting market prawns in the house.

I believe we are all in this hobby to keep fishes. Including me. :lol:

Patience bro, like what the others say. Don't rush the cycling, its possibly one of the critical stages to a successful tank.

Spend the time(while the tank is cycling), to do planning and further research.

• SRC Member

Yeah, I know. Words from wisdom from the AT before:"The only things that happen fast in this hobby are nasty ones"

Please try and understand where I am coming from, or rather, please do not misunderstand.

As mentioned, I am cycling my tank using washed sand and dead rocks. Since there is no bacteria to begin with, I am worried that the cycling process will literally take forever.

That is why I am asking about the effectiveness of bottled bacteria.

I am more than wiling to wait 1 month or even more for the cycling to be completed. I did that before with my previous tank (which was using LR, not dead rocks)

If there is no bacteria in the water tank to begin with, there can be no chance that the bacteria will multiply and colonise the rocks, right? :erm:

Which is why I have to add bacteria to start the process right? :nc:

Now, all I am trying to ask is, which is most effective.

Why do u need to borrow LRs n remove them when the bacteria settled down?

IMHO buy uncured LRs from lfs or cured ones by reefers in the pasarmalam here.

Because I have a prohbia for hitchhikers and unwanted lifeforms which in the past has proven almost impossible to eradicate. I ended up with dead rocks with hitchhiker! LOL :P