Learning Car Driving

Vinoth

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Just passed my Basic Driving theory test. Now i would like to learn driving after getting PDL. Any place to recommend? Is it best to join a driving school or learn from private instructor?

Pls share ur experience and ideas.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

hmmm priv is helluva lot cheaper but u don't guaranty that the instructor is a good one unless u get some good recomendations... learning from sch is good because u know those instructors are trained and they are supposed to follow a schedulde as stated in a booklet upon enrolment at a center.

as a priv learner, your TP test i think is only 4 times a year? im not to sure la but i know it's really little! :P as a student the the sch, monthly? bimonthly? :heh:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

I got my licence from BBDC.

in my humble opinion, if you want your licence fast, go to a school. but be prepared to be extorted for money. its quite expensive, as compared to a private instructor. and if you don't take the "assigned instructor" scheme, you may get different forms of advice/opinion on driving styles.

the good thing about school is that if you are a fast learner, and you do decide to splurge $10+/- extra *on top of the lesson fee* on the "assigned instructor" scheme, you can actually take your test after having 14 lessons, instead of the compulsory 23! (I think those are the figures). I may be wrong, but assigned instructor is sure as hell faster than random assign.

I heard SSDC is full to the brim. my friend is only learning once a week due to the schedule. you may want to check out BBDC.

• SRC Member
hmmm priv is helluva lot cheaper but u don't guaranty that the instructor is a good one unless u get some good recomendations... learning from sch is good because u know those instructors are trained and they are supposed to follow a schedulde as stated in a booklet upon enrolment at a center.

as a priv learner, your TP test i think is only 4 times a year? im not to sure la but i know it's really little! :P as a student the the sch, monthly? bimonthly? :heh:

Sorry...What's meant by TP?

• SRC Member
I got my licence from BBDC.

in my humble opinion, if you want your licence fast, go to a school. but be prepared to be extorted for money. its quite expensive, as compared to a private instructor. and if you don't take the "assigned instructor" scheme, you may get different forms of advice/opinion on driving styles.

the good thing about school is that if you are a fast learner, and you do decide to splurge $10+/- extra *on top of the lesson fee* on the "assigned instructor" scheme, you can actually take your test after having 14 lessons, instead of the compulsory 23! (I think those are the figures). I may be wrong, but assigned instructor is sure as hell faster than random assign.

I heard SSDC is full to the brim. my friend is only learning once a week due to the schedule. you may want to check out BBDC.

Assigned instructor means the same instructor for all the classes? Normally how much it costs?

if I remember correctly, it should cost no more than $80 per lesson for assigned instructor. and yes, its normally the same instructor.

you either chose those who teach as a single person or those who teach via tag team style. sometimes instructor A is busy/on leave/reservist, so instructor B takes over. vice versa. (=

and TP = short form for driving test. and its true. private students have fewer TP slots as compared to school. first TP test for school is three weeks within booking. retest is six weeks after booking. compared to three months and four months for private. and you get the drift on why people go to school if they are hard up for the licence. (=

• SRC Member

not 80 bro...

50+ non peak hour 60+ peak hour lesson

10 for fixed instructor. pay once only i think...

DON'T go to ssdc unless you are willing to pay for at least 25 lessons before you are allowed to book you test.

go comfort or the new one at kovan.

i head that its faster there.

my friend finished in 14 lessons at comfort.

since lessons are the same price, you save alot if you go comfort instead of ssdc.

• SRC Member

go sch la..

it's faster..but only thing is that more $$ la..

each lesson(100min) $65+

have to take at least 25 lesson before you can book for the test.

book a fixed instructor is 8bucks for a lesson.(why waste?)

hope these helps ;)

I seriously wouldn't recommend SSDC for anybody. I have three friends learning there now and all of them have difficulty booking for lessons due to the lack of vehicles/instructors.

unless you are in no rush to take your licence. but do remember the centres have this sort of annual fee that you have to pay, and if your course duration stretches pass the year, you have to pay again.

• SRC Member
Vinoth...where do you work? and what time do you start work? driving centres don't open that early for sessions. earliest also 8. coz TP starts test at 7.30 if I'm not mistaken.

I work in orchard and i start work between 11 and 12.

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member
not 80 bro...

50+ non peak hour 60+ peak hour lesson

10 for fixed instructor. pay once only i think...

DON'T go to ssdc unless you are willing to pay for at least 25 lessons before you are allowed to book you test.

go comfort or the new one at kovan.

i head that its faster there.

my friend finished in 14 lessons at comfort.

since lessons are the same price, you save alot if you go comfort instead of ssdc.

Kovan? There's a new driving centre at Kovan?

I am going to learn driving too and if this is so, Kovan will be so near my place...

• SRC Member

Vinoth bro, since u stay at yishun, it's best u go to SSDC. nearer.. their 1st time passing rate is the highest.. 51%. lol.. im one in the percentage.. ;) who says SSDC need at least 25lessons? tat time i only bought 22 tickets b4 my TP.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Personally i recommend BBDC. It may be too far for you. But over there, the passing rate is higher (no car etc), and more free slot (Can chiong your lesson).

If you are not hard up on money go for school, easier to pass. Reason, in school, you always practise in the circuit. so circuit should not be a problem for you. And when you go on road test. At timing like 10-12, 2-4 no car at all, so passing should not be a problem too. Morever, if you from school, the instructor will close 1 eye.

If you are confident of your driving skil and/or you dont have so much money to spare and/or have lot of time. Then take private. Can save you quite alot, think at least 500-1000. But provide you dont fail too many time, else end up the same as a first time pass school learner.

Cheers and good luck

• SRC Member

I'm for BBDC... passed there 1st time after the min number of 20+ lessons..

Main reason for going there is that the place is more driver friendly, less heavy vehicles, more small roads etc... so passing rate also quite high...

I've had many friends who went private but didn't pass in the first few tries, so I still advocate going to a school...

At BBDC I chose the non-fixed instructor instead because I wanted to make sure I could handle different people, if not when you keep sticking to same instructor then suddenly not used to the examiner sitting beside you... (er.. donno if I making sense or not.. not feeling too good)

Okay good luck with ur driving..

• SRC Supporter

i registered myself at bbdc since feb, have not gone to take the theory test yet. was told i have to attend lessons before i can take the test,but i have friends who went straight to take the theory test without having lessons.. anyone done that before?

the test im talking abt is the TP test i think the 1 that u practise at the computer than go for it.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

BBDC is good. At least 6 years ago it was good for me. I had a Fixed instructor and took 20 lessons. Start to finish <3 months to get the license. Of course, pass on first time but even if I failed the first attempt, second test date was only 2 weeks away max.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif