Cyno in my fuge

hi there,

I used to be running a cannister filter until my nitrate shoots thru the roof and thus decided to convert to a sump. It had been 2 weeks since i converted to a sump. I used to have cyno in my main tank b4 the sump.

My config is

Main tank : 3x1.5x1.5 ft with 2x150w MH 6hr lighting

sump: 3x1.5x1 ft with 2x39w PL 24/7

bioload - 2 damsels, 4 small firefish, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 hawkfish, 3 shrimps, 1 algae benny

I had dump a pack of rowas in my sump as well as some carbon bag. DSB of 6" with some aglae to reduce nitrate.

However, cyno started growing in my sump. May i ask if this is normal? what else can i do to remove the cyno?

thanks

• SRC Member

I also have cyno in my main tank.. but not in my sump. What you can do is to cut down on your photosynthetic period. For now i am not switching on my lights for 2-3 days. Today is the first day and when i checked just now.. the cyno seems to be weakened abit. However i am still worried on whether my corals will survive without light or not for 3 days. :(

• SRC Member
hi there,

I used to be running a cannister filter until my nitrate shoots thru the roof and thus decided to convert to a sump. It had been 2 weeks since i converted to a sump. I used to have cyno in my main tank b4 the sump.

My config is

Main tank : 3x1.5x1.5 ft with 2x150w MH 6hr lighting

sump: 3x1.5x1 ft with 2x39w PL 24/7

bioload - 2 damsels, 4 small firefish, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 hawkfish, 3 shrimps, 1 algae benny

I had dump a pack of rowas in my sump as well as some carbon bag. DSB of 6" with some aglae to reduce nitrate.

However, cyno started growing in my sump. May i ask if this is normal? what else can i do to remove the cyno?

thanks

Isn't it better to have cyno growing inside the sump then to have it inside the main tank? I wouldn't bother abt it if its growing inside my sump........grow faster better , can export more nutrients out of my water.

Eric

• SRC Member

Dont worry about it.....at least it is growing in the sump.......change the water in the sump more often........and reduce the lighting period........and on the light in the sump only when the light in the main tank is off. I had the same problem as well........now my refugium is like a planted aquarium........clean clean and full of copods......kekeke :lol: .....

my sump can be over-runned by cyano bacteria at times. but like what somebody said, its better to have it grow like a wild fire there than in your main tank. what I do is that I just break the water surface tension with my hand *by moving my hand on the water surface* every few days, and by individually pulling out strands of cyano.

so far my main tank has no cyano....*crosses fingers*

:P