Help identify this 'plant'?

Well, in the initial 'rush' as a newbie, I went and bought this 'plant'. Its the red one on the left side. I have NO idea what it is and need some help identifying it. That way I can do some research on it.

Also I notice this these translucent membraneous 'stuff' around the edges. Can anyone tell me if its dying or its a sign of growth or sign of disease? I got 2 of those in my tank and the other one only have a bit of the membraneous stuff.

While on that 'rush', I went and bought the Maiden's Hair plant as well. Its that green tuff on the right. Any recommedations if its good or bad for fish/corals/etc?

All help appreciated.

post-6-1091465087.jpg

The red thing is a sponge.

Only 2 possibility what the white translucent tuffs are

1) Dead tissue

2) part of the siphon intake/outlet (you'll know which one if you off all water currents and observe how particulate matter move around the sponge)

Sponges need alot of feeding with phytoplankton. I suggest either Supreme blend by Aquaz or bioplankton by liquidlife USA. Invert a container over the sponge everyday and squirt some plankton inside to feed it. This is to concentrate the plankton so that you won't have to add alot to your whole tank.

The maiden's hair is actually turtle weed. I find these guys rather impossible to keep in the long run unless your tank is nutrient rich and you give them intense light. It is not harmful but herbivorous fish like tangs might eat it all up. :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Bought some turtle weed for my blue and yellow tangs, but I guess they're like my kids...don't wanna eat their veggies...! :P

On the sponge, the white part is probably dead...same thing happened to my blue sponge after my starfish got to it...can remove it by hand, I found...the other thing about sponges is that u need to try to remove any air bubbles trapped inside of it, or it will slowly die off; sponges cannot expel air bubbles on their own...in my case I kind of shook it in the water and a heck of a lot of bubbles came out...