warm water corals

• SRC Member

hello there

I have a small tank and do not want to consider a chiller but I do monitor the temperature. Every night, I would top up evaporated water with fresh water stored in my fridge. As such, the temp are within 30-31 degrees.

I find corals so fasinating but resist buying them because I want to be able to keep them alive and flourishing....

right now, I have only mushrooms. I have tried others like hammer heads, jewel coral but they failed to survive.

I wonder, is there a group of corals that thrive in warmer waters? Does a Sun coral stand a chance?

Thanks for any inputs..... cheers! :-)

• SRC Member

The temperature is high for a marine tank. If you can't keep hammers or anchor corals at that temperature, I won't recommend trying others because the anchors are very hardy.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Any chance of adding some fans to help lower the temperature?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

My tank a 2 footer also had the same situation. It really didn't make sense to me to top up water everyday...what if I am away for a few days?

So had to move the chiller from my FW over to this little one. At least the FW could still survive.

• SRC Member

Morgan has his tank out in his porch directly under the sun, only covered by a piece of acrylic, as such his tank is always about 30C or higher even with a fan blowing. Guess what? He has all kinds of corals in his tank. Temperature might not be the deciding factor here.

Hey guys

Do not get the wrong idea. Coral cannot survive if the temp stay at 30~31 constant long term.

Yes my tank gets direct sunlight from 9:30 to about 2:30 and the water temp get to about 30C in the afternoon.

32C on really hot days. But night time temp is around 27~28.

I have a fan blowing 24/7.

This kind of temp is not really suitable for all kind of corals. I know that fox coral cannot tahan the heat, also elegant coral. So far the rest are OK and growing.

• SRC Member

You managed to keep Acros in that kind of temperature...???

WOW.... That's amazing... thought to sustain them, at least a temperature of 27 C....

hey... share share lah... then maybe I don't need a chiller by then...

:D:D

Could it be becos of your large volume water that brought about stability...

• SRC Member

Thanks for the inputs..

I do have an AC fan blowing directly at the water surface and it is on 24/7.

tigershark, where did u get the dC fans or did u DIY?

U must have a DC supply to drive them, rite? How do u mount them?

Here is a tricky question:

What are the pros and cons between using fans and a chiller? I mean, is reducing the amount of water evaporation by keeping the water cool better

than topping up with fresh, new water using fan blowing? Beside the obvious, one should also consider the cost of a chiller and running it. If chiller fails, is a disaster be expected?

Also, I know that the ocean maintain its stable temp. mainly because of it's enormous size but it also experience a lot of evaporation too.... 'topping up' is in the form of rains and river flow...

Back to the basic question: It seems to me that to be really successful, keeping the water from overheating is an absolute must. Maybe there is no such thing as a warm water coral :-) Guess I have to stick to my mushrooms...

• SRC Member

What are the pros and cons between using fans and a chiller? I mean, is reducing the amount of water evaporation by keeping the water cool better

than topping up with fresh, new water using fan blowing? Beside the obvious, one should also consider the cost of a chiller and running it. If chiller fails, is a disaster be expected?

Also, I know that the ocean maintain its stable temp. mainly because of it's enormous size but it also experience a lot of evaporation too.... 'topping up' is in the form of rains and river flow...

Back to the basic question: It seems to me that to be really successful, keeping the water from overheating is an absolute must. Maybe there is no such thing as a warm water coral :-) Guess I have to stick to my mushrooms...

I think it has alot to do with the size of your tank... having the understanding that if there is a large amount of evaporation from a small sized tank, changes in your salinity would be substantial.....

Most likely would affect your invertebrates health....

And again in regards to chiller, a smaller volume of water would require less time to chill and less operation time of the chiller therefore resulting in lower running cost...

The initial cost of purchasing one might be high but if a proper HP Chiller in respect to tank size/volume is done.... would result in a reasonable cost....

You are right, there are not much "warm water coral", only dead ones...

;)

BTW Morgan,

What's the total volume of your 8 footer???

Hey guys

I am not sure I hold or want to hold the record, maybe someone out there could have a tank more like a swimming pool with sharks. :lol::lol:

ep4546

I am basically a very lazy person so if it too hard I would give up the hobby. :P

Seriously now, I clean the glass once a week if I up to it but then there are times I do not do it for a month.

Top up water every day (no choice)

That about it.

Oh yes feed some of the corals every now and then. (which is not frequent enough)

• SRC Member
Thanks for the inputs..

I do have an AC fan blowing directly at the water surface and it is on 24/7.

tigershark, where did u get the dC fans or did u DIY?

U must have a DC supply to drive them, rite? How do u mount them?

use a AC to DC adapter...i got a 1.0 amp rating adapter, bought for $22 enough for me to run all the 4 DC fan i have. If you are runing only 2 pcs of 80mm fan, 0.5 amp is more than enought... Using a DC fan is much more safer than AC ones as if an ac fan leak.... you will in trouble..... some of my DC fan were bought from Sim lim tower...i'm a CPU overclocker last time and I need quite a few fan to bring down my chasis temp, as close as room temp, by doing that, my CPU temp would cool down more.... you could actually look for those deserted/unwanted old computer and tear out the DC fan from their PSU....

• SRC Member

hmm...................

about the largest tank thingy.............I've heard of a local fella who keeps a 12 feet reef tank..........he lives in a bungalow

so his tank is entirely drilled into the wall

with the system in another compartment underneath the tank :)