warm water corals

• SRC Member

Hi wedgee

It is tigershark that did the DC fans.. and since then, I have also tried.

Just open the PC casing, locate where the CPU is.

Usually, there will a fan and heat sink attached to the CPU by clips.

You have to apply a bit of pressure to disengage the clips to release the heat sink.

The DC fans are mounted to the heat sink by screws so unscrew them and viola! you have you DC fans.

You will need an AC adaptor (found in every DIY shops) to power 12V into these. Connect many DC fans by parallel.

You can attach the fans to light fittings to pump out hot air to keep temperature low. You can screw them in or use double-sided foam tape.

Make sure you do the expose any bare wires, always taped them with good quality tape to prevent shortage.

• SRC Member

OIC! You were talking abt the fans used on the CPU itself! Those ARE quite hard to remove indeed (tried it once, and my fingers got sore)...but wat abt the fans on the tower casing and power supplies? Those look bigger and more useful? THANX AGAIN :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Need not worry about power shortages in such DC set up. I oftenly have water getting into the wires joints but no electric shock whatsoever, DC 1 amp will not give you the shock. Need not tape the joints as it gets sticky after time. But one thing is that when water gets to the wire, the copper wire will dissolve under the electricity and dangerous to the tank. No amount of taping will water proof it.... just get 2 wire casing, screw the fans onto it, and wire within the casing.... maybe can go sim lim to buy any DC switch to switch them on and off easliy...

just my 2 cents worth :)

• SRC Member
I have a small tank and do not want to consider a chiller but I do monitor the temperature. Every night, I would top up evaporated water with fresh water stored in my fridge. As such, the temp are within 30-31 degrees.

I find corals so fasinating but resist buying them because I want to be able to keep them alive and flourishing....

right now, I have only mushrooms. I have tried others like hammer heads, jewel coral but they failed to survive.

I wonder, is there a group of corals that thrive in warmer waters? Does a Sun coral stand a chance?

Thanks for any inputs..... cheers! :-)

IMO,

mushrooms, polyps are quite alright items for temperature range at 30-31...

HAve a friend who possesses mushrooms in his 31 C tank.... seems alright to me.....

Heard clams can be keep in this temperature range too... but require lots of light.......

Anyone wants to help with whether Sun Corals can be kept in this temp. range???

• SRC Member

Hi Phang

My Sun Coral just died due to brown jelly. I fed my Sun Coral but my water is always around 29-30 degrees. I guess it contracted the disease from the Hammer Coral which was the first to contract this disease. :(

Did someone say clam can survive high temp? I'd would be delighted to have a small one to start!!

• SRC Member
Hi Phang

Did someone say clam can survive high temp? I'd would be delighted to have a small one to start!!

Think for clams.... light is more an issue than temperature... need lots of it...

Of course, anything would get roasted in higher than normal temperature....

I have a reef buddy who keeps 3 clams in his 31 C tank.....

Anyone like to confirm the above???