Eliminate Powerhead killer

Eric

• SRC Member

Due to the recent death of my 2 x baby blue tang & many other fishes including a 3" yellow tang in the past, I was forced to do something to the powerhead to prevent similar incidents again.

After some thoughts, a simplest diy as shown below has help me prevent more deaths. I'm using a 1400l/hr resun powerhead, the suction is quite strong despite the use of the "mesh" provided. Its simply a magnet to the LS who swims too near to it.

Now the gap between the suction has been reduced greatly, this will prevent the fishes from swimming into it and get trapped by the vaccum.

I know its kinda ugly, but at least now I can sleep in peace and worry not abt the number 1 LS killer - Powerhead.

Eric

post-9-1092130696.jpg

• SRC Member

bro eric, no offences.but that design doesnt eliminate the problem.the fishes can get suck thru the pipe inlet.

what i did was i use 4 pcs of light difusers and make it to rectangle shape that the size just enough to slot the powerhead 'mesh' inlet.

• SRC Member

Now then I realised how my yellow tang die!!! <_<

Weeks ago in the morning, I saw my yellow tang stuck to my resun Power head and I was thinking that it must be the ich that kills it....then the fish floated and suck by the power head.....sigh! so sad.......I need to do something about it as well........now I am very worry about my cuke!!!! :ph34r:

Eric, thanks for sharing...... ;)

• SRC Member

my blue tang also stuck in the powerhead.....lucky was still home and notice it....it was stuck for 1 hour.....heng, still survive without any visable injury.....same happened for a orange hermit crab....kind of funny seeing it coming out of the shell to escape the power head... :P

unforunately, the snail in my office didn't have such luck....got suck in and pollute my tank.... :cry:

• SRC Member
Eric, i thought you got a sump and why not just use your return pipe to blow across your tank?

Return pipe alone from my 5500l/hr pump not enough to circulate flow across my 2.5ft depth...........I need at least 2 x PH with 4 outlets to blow at different angles in order to see detritus get lift off to the overflow............but still alot of detritus at the bottom half of my tank........I think I might need to invest on 2 x tunze streams.

Anyone have experiences with tunze 6060, can the flow reach 2ft depth if its mount on the top? Is the tunze bracket adjustable so I can tilt the flow slightly downwards to blow the bottom area of my tank?

Eric

Return pipe alone from my 5500l/hr pump not enough to circulate flow across my 2.5ft depth...........I need at least 2 x PH with 4 outlets to blow at different angles in order to see detritus get lift off to the overflow............but still alot of detritus at the bottom half of my tank........I think I might need to invest on 2 x tunze streams.

Anyone have experiences with tunze 6060, can the flow reach 2ft depth if its mount on the top? Is the tunze bracket adjustable so I can tilt the flow slightly downwards to blow the bottom area of my tank?

Eric

point downwards? u might get sandstorm as well.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png