salt

decentkid

• SRC Member

Me me .... in fact there is a previous thread on salts .... i use Kent and it works well for me.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I had some experience with Kent Marine sea salt. When mix with water, there is a lot of white particle floating all around and its a lot. :sick: Then I started a thread in SRC for advise and some reefers commented that its because of the high water hardness from the tap water. But I do not face any problem with other brands......so.....I guess maybe that pack I bought is spolit. Even a friend of mine (a reefer as well) bought Kent Marine salt also but he doesnt face this problem.......strange for me lor....... :huh:

Can anyone tell me where i can buy Corallife Salt. I have been to several places to get this product but all no stock. Dunno what happen lately and it seems that this brand is getting popular and more popular...Don't you agree? Maybe because of the cheap price point compare with other brand and also their strong positives feedback comparison to other brands.

What's your opinion? :thanks:

• SRC Member
Can anyone tell me where i can buy Corallife Salt. I have been to several places to get this product but all no stock. Dunno what happen lately and it seems that this brand is getting popular and more popular...Don't you agree? Maybe because of the cheap price point compare with other brand and also their strong positives feedback comparison to other brands.

What's your opinion? :thanks:

IME don't use coralife salt.

was using it for 2 years untill i recently discovered the high content of nitrates in newly mixed coralife salt. also the calcium and alklinity values are not consistent with each packet of salt i buy. meaning you get very unstable and inconsistent water.

high calcium, high NITRATES and low Alk values, in my opinion can be dangerous for you tank. maybe not all bags of coralife are bad but a few of mine were, and that was enough for me.

i'm using Marine environment dual phase formula. a little more expensive but at least you know you are paying for the quality. ;)

click here and here for more details.

• SRC Member

Ya using ME dual phase also after recommendations by Henry. IMO its easy to dissolve and was told if the package states for 50gallons, it is 50 gallons (Don't know how true, never test).

Previously using Tropic Marin Salt and its quite difficult to get it dissolved.

Ya using ME dual phase also after recommendations by Henry. IMO its easy to dissolve and was told if the package states for 50gallons, it is 50 gallons (Don't know how true, never test).

Previously using Tropic Marin Salt and its quite difficult to get it dissolved.

IME, ME salt is a little harder to dissolve than Tropic Marin. but hv to use quite a fair bit to achieve the salinity (1.023) that i want.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Marine Environment user here also. Good salt, easy to dissolve, got that little magic bottle of liquid which contain trace elements no found in other salts. Don't know true or not lah but have been using it without problem since switching from Tropic Marine.

• SRC Member

IME don't use coralife salt.

was using it for 2 years untill i recently discovered the high content of nitrates in newly mixed coralife salt. also the calcium and alklinity values are not consistent with each packet of salt i buy. meaning you get very unstable and inconsistent water.

high calcium, high NITRATES and low Alk values, in my opinion can be dangerous for you tank. maybe not all bags of coralife are bad but a few of mine were, and that was enough for me.

i'm using Marine environment dual phase formula. a little more expensive but at least you know you are paying for the quality. ;)

click here and here for more details.

High nitrate is your newly mix salt water might not be your salt problem. It could be the water you use to mix the salt with. Unless you use RO or DI water, you'll get nitrate coming from your tap water.

• SRC Member

High nitrate is your newly mix salt water might not be your salt problem. It could be the water you use to mix the salt with. Unless you use RO or DI water, you'll get nitrate coming from your tap water.

true but then how come when i mix marine environment salt i test and find no nitrates? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I agree with Ryan. I use ME for one tank and CL for another tank, the nitrate level I measure at the same time gives me 2 readings. The tank used with ME salt show no nitrates while the other >20.

IMO & IME, now I intend to stick with ME.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

IME, ME salt is a little harder to dissolve than Tropic Marin. but hv to use quite a fair bit to achieve the salinity (1.023) that i want.

Hi,

Can you advise on how to mix the Little Bottle content? Is it to dissolve all the salts together with the Little Bottle solution and fresh water? I thought the Little Bottle is suppose to pour in the salt pack and mixed it. Later, I think of it, it seem not logical, but to dissolve the whole pack of 50 gallon of salt with water and little bottle solution also don't seem logical too because I need to have a big container to store the water. What should it be, hope can give some advise. Thanks

Charlie

i am using marine enviroment too !! think that is the best salt ... seem that paying a higher price give better result . was using red sea previously

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Hi,

Can you advise on how to mix the Little Bottle content? Is it to dissolve all the salts together with the Little Bottle solution and fresh water? I thought the Little Bottle is suppose to pour in the salt pack and mixed it. Later, I think of it, it seem not logical, but to dissolve the whole pack of 50 gallon of salt with water and little bottle solution also don't seem logical too because I need to have a big container to store the water. What should it be, hope can give some advise. Thanks

Charlie

normally i just pour the whole bottle into the main tank

even making partial water changes