Getting a new car, which make and model?

pangz

Sure its got a small engine, but its all about power to weight ratio, right.

If you want to up the stakes then the Fit 1.5 VTEC should do the job nicely.

I am sure you will find that the std Jazz moves as quick or quicker than most 1.6L cars(autos that is)

You are right about the Skoda, very under rated here. VW/Audi floorpan, engines and quality for small car prices.

If Ford improve the focus then they move the goal posts again.

I would also like to quash the impression here that any Japanese car manufactured outside of Japan, eg Thailand is substandard quality.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

IanJ,

You drive a Jazz right?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Why not the Daihatsu with the turbo charged engine, seen it and it seems pretty decent and powerful! :)

Cute. 1.3L Turbo YRV with 95 bhp. Comes with gear shift buttons on the steering wheels. What I meant was a 3.0L V6 in a small car, like a Clio. That goes!

S60 all turbocharged too. T5 and S60R very fast in a straightline. Moderately reliable. SM Motors has good service (used to have an S80 T6). Road tax, insurance and fuel consumption will be points of consideration when comparing with a new 1.6L.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Tanzy

Sure i bought a Jazz.

I am used to driving rather bigger cars, my last car being a Saab 9-5 3.0V6 Turbo estate. My wife always having small cars like March, 106 etc i get to drive the other end of the spectrum. Having 27 years of driving many many cars over huge mileages, i get a good feel for whats good, whats not, what is easy or not to live with.

We test drove all the main contenders here, twice.

The Jazz was smooth, quite and never felt like a small car behind the wheel, it drove very well and also had the best usable space.

The Corolla was good and a worthy contender, in the end it was less practical, more expensive and a longer waiting time. The various Nissan's and Mitsubishi's in my opinion were not in the same league. The Focus really set the benchmark, but was S$10,000 more expensive.

For a simple, easy to drive, cheap to run car in Singapore, the Jazz is hard to beat.

Thats not to say it appeals to everyone

• SRC Member

Small cars with huge power are great. The A3 1.8T (second hand can get about 80K). Very rare somemore. Or Golf GTI? Want something bigger...go for A4 1.8T or 2.0mu.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Getting a 2nd hand car is great, but like what tanzy said, need to consider the rest of the factors, road tax, insurance and blah blah.

Audi A4 is in a different league compared to the Altis or the Jazz man. Cant get too small a car too, need to fit at least 4-5 person in the car. so i think they are out for me.

• SRC Member

IanJ,

You've got to be at least 45 this year and you bought a Jazz? That must be a really good car then! You didn't buy because you had no choice but because you absolutely love it to death.

I've been driving for about 6 years and my first car was a Mazda 121. It was pathetic! Reliable but horrible to drive. I must be mad when I choose that car over a Suzuki Swift GTi!!! I thought it was practical and cute. Now that I've matured and regained my sanity, I'm all for fast cars.

pangz,

Ultimately, you need a car to suit your driving style and your needs. We can never decide for you because we are not you (but what you really want is an Aston Martin, trust me). It's Saturday, show rooms will be crowded, VERY crowded, so get an early start and test everything that has a steering wheel!

Ask loads of questions too. Don't ask questions like fuel consumption and handling, they will plain lie to you. You need to get the finance calculated, tie down with which bank (Borneo Motors is with HSBC), finance rebates and offers, insurance (say no to NTUC), warranty duration, extra perks like V-cool etc, options available, local or factory leather, that sort of stuff.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Tanzy

Spot on with the age. The Jazz really is that good, however it would not be my choice if i had to drive to KL back and forth on a regular basis, wheel base is too short for that type of driving. I do not normally fit so well or am i so comfortable in a small car, the Jazz is very roomy. The 1.5 Fit was even smoother, faster, but i can buy a lot of corals for the S$10,000 saved.

Its a pity that car choice is so limited here and so expensive(and overpriced for some makes).

• SRC Member
Its a pity that car choice is so limited here and so expensive(and overpriced for some makes).

If you ask me, all cars in Singapore are overpriced. <_< It's just that some are extremely overpriced.

pangz,

Also, remember you need to know how much cash you have on hand. You will need money for insurance, registration, downpayment, first month's loan, road tax (if in the rare event it is not included).

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Speaking abt small cars having small engines, does the jazz consume as much fuel as say matrix?

i've heard JAZZ FC at 18~19km/lt at its best n 8km/lt for MATRIX at its worst... do ur calculation from here ;) IMO all KOREAN cars have very bad FC.. my last car was a korean car.

hearing comments on ppl on what is a gd car is not enough... u have to test drive the car urself.. no point buying car A (everyone say this is a good car) if u dun like the handling of the car.. so list n test drive all the cars u have in mond... lastly remember to squeeze them dry for freebies

Hey Tanzy, no prob regarding the finance part, my dad had it planned out. Thanks for your help! There's two drivers in my family(including myself), so will be trying all types of cars to see which suits us best.

Btw, was thinking about it. Why no one mention anything about chevrolet? No reviews on it?

• SRC Member

I did mentioned the Optra earlier. It is starting to have quite a following in Singapore.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

actually from what i understand, the book states how many km / litre.... it is true... it's tested on a 60km/h speed... so starting and no stopping, no slowing down no accelerating.. just constant... that's why u don't achieve that kinda consumption... i don't know abt salesman who lie though abt the FC of a car :P

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

my uncle got a whole car wash kit for free... but nothing much... they have like a pack, u pay a certain price and get leather seats, wooden interior(stickers) and sports rims... rather worth it...

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member
go for renault megane

But then it's french with french built quality.

post-36-1093875548.jpg