Cured Or Uncured/dead Lr?

• SRC Member

i think it would be safer to say the rock is dying . not dead.if its a dead piece of rock its not gonna smell like anything at all. die offs on the rock will cause water to smell bad. especially during cycling some people experience this.

Smell is due to the presence of ammonia, and dying/decomposing stuff gives off ammonia. Therefore water will smell bad.

Theoratically, a really really dead LR (without the decomposing stuff) shouldn't smell so bad as it would not be releasing ammonia.

Right? I think.

• SRC Member
my own exp

bought at 1.00pm, uncle help me wrap with newspaper with abit of sw and bagged as if like a fish

keep inside office else in the car till abt 10.00pm

when open, smell big time :evil:

however, it went away after 1 day in water :P

wa.. 9 hrs... i saw 1 LSF owner pack the LR with seawater when the buyer say he will be back home in about 4 hrs...

• SRC Member

Hello,

Just setup my 3ft tank...only two days old.

Currently in the tank are coral sand (C1) and a few Live Rocks.

I notice that my tank water smell bad too. Reading this tread, it would appear that my LRs are dying.

Do I do water change during this period to get rid of the smell (how much % of the water to replace)? OR leave it as it is and hopefully the smell will go off soon (tyically how soon)?

Please advise. Thanks.

• SRC Member
Hello,

Just setup my 3ft tank...only two days old.

Currently in the tank are coral sand (C1) and a few Live Rocks.

I notice that my tank water smell bad too. Reading this tread, it would appear that my LRs are dying.

Do I do water change during this period to get rid of the smell (how much % of the water to replace)? OR leave it as it is and hopefully the smell will go off soon (tyically how soon)?

Please advise. Thanks.

just leave it to cycle..... if yr water still smells bad 3 weeks later... then change...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.