Small white insect crawling on tank wall

• SRC Member

Hi ..

noticed that on my tank's glass wall there are a number of small white crawling insect on it ... as small as 1 mm in length (some even smaller)... their movement is like jerking or hopping about.

what are they? how to get rid of them?

I only have 2 fishes in my 3 feet tank (yellow and purple tangs) and they are free from white spot / ich ...

it irritate me seeing those things crawling on the wall like nobody's business ... wonder if there are fishes actually feed on them ??

anyone to feedback please ... thanks a million !!

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member
;) tink they are copepods!....any pix?...if true...buy mandarin fish n see the results!! :D

OKie. .. this weekend getting help ... go buy a green mandarin fish and hope to wipe off all those nasty looking copepods.

no pics ... no digital cam.

anyone got a mandarin for loan ? ... :lol::lol: ...

Thnaks people !

CHEERS!

Rocks

Strange thing is that I dun see any copepods in my tank but the mandarin still alive after months!! :lol:

Most pods like to hide among the crevices of the LRs as such it is difficlut to see them if you have sufficient covers.

Pods that appears in the open will not last long in a tank with fishes like Mandarins. :evil:

My mandarin has been with me for 9mths liao and I have only seen it eating my mysis a few times only. So I guess the pods in my tank is keeping it alive. B)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hey!

You are blessed with copepods! These creatures are very handy as food for mandarin fish!

Actually I think many fishes will recognise them for food, like dotty-backs.

If you do fancy mandarin fish, then you're lucky to not have to try to ween them to eat prepared foods!

Cheers!

• SRC Member
Hey!

You are blessed with copepods! These creatures are very handy as food for mandarin fish!

Actually I think many fishes will recognise them for food, like dotty-backs.

If you do fancy mandarin fish, then you're lucky to not have to try to ween them to eat prepared foods!

Cheers!

marcvelous,

got a small spotted mandarin and at the same time got a couple of Blue Green Reef Chromis .... now either most of the copepods went hidding or it already in the stomach of the fishes... though there are a few copepods at one corner of the tank.. maybe i stop feeding the fishes for a day or two, they will be forced to eat up the rest of the copepods?

• SRC Member

Eh... if your tank entirely no copepods, then your mandarin eat what? :lol:

I think sure will still have some within the rocks.

Juz FYI, I read somewhere before that some reefers use a small fruit basket and line the inside with small pieces of LR then invert this "nest" in their tank to grow copepod. This way, the copepods can grow and reproduce in the nest without the fish eating them all up. WHen the pods are ready they will find their way out of the "nest" and the fish can consume.

• SRC Member
Eh... if your tank entirely no copepods, then your mandarin eat what? :lol:

I think sure will still have some within the rocks.

Juz FYI, I read somewhere before that some reefers use a small fruit basket and line the inside with small pieces of LR then invert this "nest" in their tank to grow copepod. This way, the copepods can grow and reproduce in the nest without the fish eating them all up. WHen the pods are ready they will find their way out of the "nest" and the fish can consume.

hmm ... maybe worth a try ... anyway, looking at the mandarin, it seems to be busy pecking on LR for food ... guess there are more copepod in between the LR at the moment.