those having low magnesium problem

hamannbmw

• SRC Member
Hamannbmw & Alan.....how your espom salt/magnesium dosing coming along, if I may ask?? :rolleyes:

Hamannbmw.....you throw in the whole packet??? :huh: ...just to reach 1400ppm??? :huh:

wats yr reading now ?

If i remember correctly, one pack of epsom salt 511g will raise about 170ppm. Mine is a 4 X 2 X 2 1/4. So far i have use 2 packs, the last time i dose was about 3 weeks ago, now my MG maintain at 1300-1320ppm

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

The PH 5.9 was used to do some testing. At normal level of PH 6.2 is sufficient to provide good level increase of Mg.

Read the following link that I have translated using Babelfish. Just in case it did not translate, then readers reading this will have to do the translation.

http://www.korallenriff.de/magnesiumpro.html

For IT tested: Of the Aquarianer for Aquarianer

Empiric report with the lime reactor material magnesium pro of the company Grotech

of franc Diehl

Empiric report to mg per

For some time I could observe a stagnating growth of Steinkorallen and lime red algae in my basin. Edges of growth became clearly smaller or were missing already any longer. After some tests was clear, it were missing some elements. The strontium and magnesium values were rather strongly please.

Normally this fact would not be worth a report. There are here also arithmetical examples, how one can raise the magnesium value with magnesium chloride and/or magnesium sulfate again. Some Aquarianer use also magnesium chips. There are thus different ways.

By Robert Baur I became attentive to a new product. It concerns the product magnesium pro of the company Grotech. Since this product was not with beginning of test yet in the trade, I had contacted directly the company Grotech. After consultation with Mr. Gross a sample was sent to me to test purposes.

With this product it concerns a dolomite rock, which is to have a very high mg value. This rock is to be dissolved as 10 % admixture in the lime reactor with. A higher dosage one advised against, since otherwise a too high mg value in the basin is reached, which can lead to damages at the korallen.

On the packing no analysis certificate is unfortunately printed or attached. The company Grotech however such is present. This was published meanwhile also in the forum under www.Meerwasserforum.com. Therefore it concerns a very pure dolomite, whose employment is possible in the reef aquarium without doubts. Further foreign matter, like silicates or phosphates, is missing or is present only in a harmless quantity.

Objective of this test were the following points:

1. The employment is without heistation, also in consideration on foreign matter.

2. As the handling is in the lime reactor

3. Sufficiently magnesium can be loosened around the value in the basin to raise.

4. To stabilize magnesium in sufficient quantity supplied around the mg value

The test was accomplished in a reef basin with approx. 900l and a lime reactor Schuran Jetstream 1 with pH control. As mg test was used the test of the company Salifert. The entire test took 4 weeks.

For introduction a short explanation which dolomite at all is:

Dolomite generally

Dolomite is and is rock-forming a carbonatisches calcium magnesium mineral, CaMg(CO3)2, in the rock of the same name, in dolomitischem limestone and in different sedimentary rocks. CaFe(CO3)2 occurs, frequently as hydrothermale pace beside Ankerit.

Its color can be enough from white, grey, yellowish to red-brown. Red-brown color point on a strong decomposition.

Its mineral constituent is Calcit and besides detrisches material, fine-grained

Is the employment without heistation, also in consideration on foreign matter?

Since I had the possibility of letting the rock in a large accredited laboratory examine I had naturally also used these.

Please you pay attention to the units

Analysis data of the company Grotech Analysis data from the laboratory

MgO and MG(OH)2 23 - 28% MgO 26,99%

CaCO3 72 - 77% CaCO3 69.4 %

SiO2 0,01% SiO2 0,03%

Al2O3 0,02% Al2O3 0,01%

Fe2O3 0,05% Fe2O3 0.00 % < UG

Cu 0,5mg/kg CuO 0,002%

CR 1,8mg/kg CR 0,003%

As < 1mg/kg As2O3 0,02%

Pb 2,7mg/kg Pb 0,009%

Hg < 0,1mg/kg Hg < 0.065%

Ni < 0.5mg/kg

Self-service < 2mg/kg

SE < 5mg/kg

Ti < 0,011%

ZrO2 < 0,003%

S 0,02%

Na2O 0,16%

ZnO 0,008%

SrO 0,014%

This material is thus very pure. It can be used easily in the Aquaristik. Also the assured mg content was reached.

How is the handling in the lime reactor?

The lime reactor was filled with 10% mg pro, no further filling. The pH value regulation was left on 6,2, because Korallenbruch is normally solved. But this attitude is sufficient.

On the intake of the lime reactor a mg value of 1110mg/l was based. On the discharge a mg value of 1230 was based. The dolomite break did not show a solution feature. Since mg up to 40 times faster than APPROX. from dolomite rock is set free, this observation is normal.

Dolomite rock is used also as substitute for lime reactors. From this experience the pH value in the reactor on 5.9 was lowered. Thus an increase in output on 1320mg/l was to be obtained.

The material is supplied in a granulation approx. 4mm. The Korallenbruch for a Schuran reactor is normally twice as large. Nevertheless the material did not become well flushes and it gave impairment of the function.

The material has a very high CO2 binding capacity. More CO2 is thus used than with usual Korallenbruch. Compared with other Ersatzmaterialen me no realizations are present, since I do not use. However a increased CO2 should be ascertainable consumption also with other substitute. Also a "afterburner" for lime reactors is to be realized very well with this material. The surplus CO2 is bound immediately.

Sufficiently can magnesium be loosened around the value in the basin to raise?

Now the reactor was filled to 50% with mg per. The pH value adjusted to 5.9. Further material was not filled in. The magnesium value in the basin became within 2 weeks of approx.. 1100 on 1400mg/l raised. At this time very different values were based on the discharge of the lime reactor. It points on it which is not homogeneous this material. For the aquaristischen purpose it plays however no role.

To stabilize magnesium in sufficient quantity supplied around the mg value?

The reactor was filled again with 10 % and the remainder with normal Korallenbruch was filled up. The pH value was stopped to 6.1. Thus now this reactor runs since approx.. 2 weeks. The mg value at the discharge lies now always easily over the basin level. Whether the mg value can be stabilized in such a way will show, the time. The testing time area is too short.

Result

Mg pro is a further very good possibility of stabilizing or of raising the mg value. In as far the mg value is stabilized durably, depends surely on several factors: Consumption of the basin, pH value in the reactor and the used quantity.

Even in a reactor, which is filled with normal Korallenruch, this material functions. In this reactor the pH value lies normally somewhat more highly than with substitute. Thus the solubility of the mg per reduction is natural.

This product in any case convinced me. The possibility magnesium continuously and slowly to deliver subsequently, without further interferences by the operator, is for me an important point. Negative features did not arise.

Franc Diehl, Krefeld 5 March 2002

exclusively in March 2002 © on Korallenriff.de

• SRC Member

wats yr reading now ?

If i remember correctly, one pack of epsom salt 511g will raise about 170ppm. Mine is a 4 X 2 X 2 1/4. So far i have use 2 packs, the last time i dose was about 3 weeks ago, now my MG maintain at 1300-1320ppm

Sigh!...should have bought a couple of packets.....

By the way which Mg test kit you use? (brand)......

Been searching high and low for this test kit.....clementi, pasir ris farms ....all dont have.....only have topic marine Ca/mg test kit together.....

Just now was at Downtown East......they have got Sera.....but didnt dare to buy because of my experience of the in-accuracy of its Sera Cal test kit!!! <_<

Any advise guys???? :huh:

• SRC Member
By the way which Mg test kit you use? (brand)......

Been searching high and low for this test kit.....clementi, pasir ris farms ....all dont have.....only have topic marine Ca/mg test kit together.....

Just now was at Downtown East......they have got Sera.....but didnt dare to buy because of my experience of the in-accuracy of its Sera Cal test kit!!! <_<

Any advise guys???? :huh:

i'm using salifert... got it from EAN too

• 3 months later...

Hi,

After reading this thread, I was worried and went down to get a bottle of Seachem Mg and Salifert testkit for just in case. But to my surprise the Mg level was 1650?! Actually, who really consume most of the Mg? I only have soft corals and using Coralife Salt.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

there's alink in front

from the website it basically says Mg is used up when CaCo3 precipitates

simply put, Mg drops when yr corals build skeleton, coco worm or snails build shell and when coralline algae flourishes

jus tested my Mg with salifert and its a freaking 760ppm only

will go get TM Mg as weileong the guru sae gd

i'll dose and get back to this thread

• SRC Member

i'm not very sure about this statement... i've tried many ways to build up the MG using TM and the rest... but i still find that "epsom salt" is better... anyway thats my own opersonal opinion. everyone have their own preference, as long as u r able to maintain it above 1250, tats great...... ;)

• SRC Member
there's alink in front

from the website it basically says Mg is used up when CaCo3 precipitates

simply put, Mg drops when yr corals build skeleton, coco worm or snails build shell and when coralline algae flourishes

jus tested my Mg with salifert and its a freaking 760ppm only

will go get TM Mg as weileong the guru sae gd

i'll dose and get back to this thread

to achieve 1250ppm from 760ppm using TM.. I can only say goodluck.. be prepared for a deep hole in your pocket :lol: Unless, yours is a 2ft tank.

to achieve 1250ppm from 760ppm using TM.. I can only say goodluck.. be prepared for a deep hole in your pocket :lol: Unless, yours is a 2ft tank.

I agree, tink u better get the 1L bottle of TM Magnesium.... but I still tink prefer it to using Epsom salts... though it's more ex, I dun wan to be worried about the long term side effects of Epsom salts... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

If you need to raise from 760ppm to 1250ppm, I would suggest you change 80-100% of the water. Cheaper and you get all the mineral replacement. Also, better use coralife this time.

If you need to raise from 760ppm to 1250ppm, I would suggest you change 80-100% of the water. Cheaper and you get all the mineral replacement. Also, better use coralife this time.

Good idea... I tink it would be cheaper that way and better for the tank too... but maybe go 4 a 50% change 1st... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

nah....a 50% water change is too much of a hassle that's 250L or 12pails of water and i tink it'll really really stress up my life stocks

would 20% be better??

agree with rav65 on the fact that rather stick with TM Mg rather than epsom salts for unknown side effects from epsom

nah....a 50% water change is too much of a hassle that's 200L or 12pails of water and i tink it'll really really stress up my life stocks

would 20% be better??

agree with rav65 on the fact that rather stick with TM Mg rather than epsom salts for unknown side effects may affect tank

REal big hassel, but a cheaper way than to buffer all tghe way from 700+ppm to 1200ppm, u probably need about 2L of TM Magnesium at least... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

that's true

that's y i'm thinking 20% water change

i believe with such a low level of magnesium even 20% water change would do a significant bringing up of Mg levels

do u guys noe where around reborn this area got sell jus one packet of the coral life salt frmo the bucket ?

• SRC Member
that's true

that's y i'm thinking 20% water change

i believe with such a low level of magnesium even 20% water change would do a significant bringing up of Mg levels

do u guys noe where around reborn this area got sell jus one packet of the coral life salt frmo the bucket ?

Bro, keep a good routine of doing a 10-20% every week and you will have a nutrients low and trace elements balance water parameters over time. You can do away with the additives addition, just 2 drops of lugol solution per day for healing and colouration purposes will do.

Eric