whole tank infected : (

hi,

yesterday i noticed that all my fishes in the tank are infected with

white spots. only 2 clownfish are not affected.

as i do not have any medication on hand, i did a 25% water change

immediately, and replacing it with clean salt water.

can anyone recommend a good white spot medication?

i have read that mixing fish food with garlic guard helps.

can i know the brand of this garlic guard?

tks in advance.

• SRC Member

Did you test your water preimeters?

Garlic guard is preventive not really effective when your LS have white spot. As long as your Ls is eating well and no stress, they should recover in no time since you ave already make a 25% water change.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Seachem Garlic Guard or the Kent Garlic Extreme.

You can also use Kyolic Garlic Extract from Pharmacies or if you are hardworking, do your own Garlic Extract :)

Are you keeping a FO or Reef?

thanks!

i am keeping a tank with live rock, 2 sponges and 3 tubeworms.

can i mix the garlic guard with the fish food & use it directly into the

tank? will it affect the live rock or sponges?

u mean i can also get the garlic extract from pharmacies like Guardian?

do u have the recipe for DIY garlic extract?

Did you test your water preimeters?

Garlic guard is preventive not really effective when your LS have white spot. As long as your Ls is eating well and no stress, they should recover in no time since you ave already make a 25% water change.

i didnt test my water perimeters yesterday becos i tested on sat nite and it was

alrite.

actually wat does the 'garlic guard' do?

isit only for use when fishes have white spots? or it can be used for other diseases as well?

i have noticed that my fishes are still swimming quite well before & after the

water change, just that some fishes are 'flickering".

• SRC Member

You might want to try enforcing a blackout of your tank, reducing the lighting hours. Apparently the marine ich parasite is much more active in attacking fish when there is light. It is still around in the dark, but isn't so effective at finding a fish host, which gives the fish a breather for their immune systems to deal with the existing parasites on the body.

IMHO garlic is not just preventive, it also strengthens the immune system of fishes and contains allicin which fights bacteria. However, if the infection is serious or the fish is already weakened, then garlic won't be able to reverse the disease and the fish may still die.

You might also want to consider a good UV sterilizer, or if you are more garang, ozone. This will help kill the free-floating stages of the parasite, and other floating bacteria (both good and bad though, unfortunately).

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
You might want to try enforcing a blackout of your tank, reducing the lighting hours. Apparently the marine ich parasite is much more active in attacking fish when there is light. It is still around in the dark, but isn't so effective at finding a fish host, which gives the fish a breather for their immune systems to deal with the existing parasites on the body.

IMHO garlic is not just preventive, it also strengthens the immune system of fishes and contains allicin which fights bacteria. However, if the infection is serious or the fish is already weakened, then garlic won't be able to reverse the disease and the fish may still die.

You might also want to consider a good UV sterilizer, or if you are more garang, ozone. This will help kill the free-floating stages of the parasite, and other floating bacteria (both good and bad though, unfortunately).

cutting down on the light also helps to calm down your fishes...then they will recover faster...a complete balckout will be very good...

• SRC Member

Provide ample rest period for the fishes... If lights-out period, make sure its really lights out.. Best to switch off the lights from 9-10pm till the next morning so that the fishes can go to sleep and keep their strength. Less stress for the fishes that way too.

• SRC Member

my own experience and battle with itch...

a. garlic dun really help to cure itch. using it daily helps to prevent bad breakout but it still happen

b. uv is best in preventing itch breakout. i dun use garlic nowadays and still no itch as long as i have the uv running

c. fish condition is most important to prevent itch breaking out. good water, stable temperature, no stress on fish, etc.

d. lower temp slow itch so u can catch it when it is early

since u have itch now, go get a uv and hope it is not too late. get a cheap brand can liao. i am using the uvc brand (i think thats what it is called) and over spec it by 2-3 times for better efficiency.

cheers!

• SRC Member
a. garlic dun really help to cure itch. using it daily helps to prevent bad breakout but it still happen

Agreed. Garlic doesn't "cure" ich any more than vitamins "cure" a flu that you catch. However, as it helps strengthen the immune system of the fish, which is what actually fights the diseases, I think it therefore it is directly related to the recovery process.

If it doesn't hurt, should just keep feeding garlic daily, either by homemade garlic dips, garlic solutions or garlic enriched food pellets, e.g. Ocean Nutrition, which I am currently using. I don't see why garlic should be stopped even if the fish are not currently fighting ich. Good to build the fish up against future diseases. :)

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
I don't see why garlic should be stopped even if the fish are not currently fighting ich. Good to build the fish up against future diseases. :)

troublesome lah to have to defrost frozen bs, soak in garlic, drain excess then feed to fish. plus i dun like the smell.

but i agree that preventing is better so if dun mind one, go feed garlic to fish!

thanks everyone for the help!

i have bought the seachem garlic guard & feed it to my fishes on tuesday.

the fishes are still swimming, except for power blue & yellow mimic tang.

they both seemed to be getting weaker by the day.

however, my trigger has recovered & i see no white spots on its body.

i will go and get the uv steriliser tonite, hopefully can find one.

becos i am getting abit worried. :(