MH without chiller

Limpc

• SRC Member

If the tank is in 24hrs air-con room it can be done. Chances are if the tank is in such an environment, a heater is required to prevent temperature swings.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Hi,

Wonder if there are any "hero" out there using MH lighting w/o chiller ?

Would fan be able to drive away the extensive heat from such light?

rgds,

Limpc

The marine shop near my house "Reef Aqurius" has 2 tanks with hanging type MH, over the tank. :blink:

No chiller, Temp abt 29 - 30. But their corals not growing well... [probably due to high temp.] ;)

I'm thinking of getting it as well.. but worried abt the temp... :(

MH without chiller sounds V.scary..... :o

My room is like air-conditioned for almost 24 hrs....(the air-controller shows 17 degrees)...my chiller == hardly activated...BUT! Once in a while it will juz activate usually on hot afternoons....

Gheee...wonder how do 'cooked' corals look like?

Ps* I once regrettably cooked my HQ shrimps when I forgot to off their lights (PL type) and went out with the air-con off!

:ph34r:

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

I don't like Reef Aquarius. Last time I found the place after walking for ages and then found quite a few sick fish there. The anemones very ex and the corals and anemones (nicer ones) that were in the tank at the back all not for sale. Wonder how they do business?

• SRC Member
Hi,

Where is this Reef Aquarius ? Sounds like a scary place with dead fishes.

Morale of this topic, No Chiller No MH. else one will have steam shrimp, stir-fried coral.

Thanks all.

Limpc

Reef Aquarius:

88 Koon send road S427029

Tel: 440 5508

[just behind Still road, opp side of Telok Kurau]

Their MH abt 2 feet above, and according to the digital thermometer is abt 30 degree. Have a fan blowing.

Will MH really rise the water temp. tt high?? :blink: cos I plan to have one, but w/o chiller. And will be place above tank, under my bed.... As PL lighting not worth it.. and maybe even cost more ;)

I'll have lots of fan though, and a water top-up system :ph34r:

• SRC Member

i had that in my old 3ft tank at my old place.. but i only keep fishes then... so, no worries..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

MH for fish only? A bit bright. B)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Reef Aquarius:

88 Koon send road S427029

Tel: 440 5508

[just behind Still road, opp side of Telok Kurau]

Their MH abt 2 feet above, and according to the digital thermometer is abt 30 degree. Have a fan blowing.

Will MH really rise the water temp. tt high?? :blink: cos I plan to have one, but w/o chiller. And will be place above tank, under my bed.... As PL lighting not worth it.. and maybe even cost more ;)

I'll have lots of fan though, and a water top-up system :ph34r:

IMO, MHs without chiller is a impossibility unless you live elsewhere...

Never visited Reef Aquarius since discovering their Live Stock dying on them every other day.... wouldn't want to place such in my tank...

A better suggestion would be to stick with standard lights, only proceed to MHs till you buy a chiller.... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

zero, without a chiller even PL will give u temp problem.

i guess u have some spare FL at home, try running it now while u cycle ur tank- try fans, try raising lights. watch temp

if u can get it lower than 28c do let me know. i can get it to 26c using a hang on running tank water thru ice+ a fan blowing. once 3ltr of ice melts(acts as my evaporation top up) the water stays @26c for 3hrs then 27c for another 2hrs before going back to 28c.

i freeze all my additives into the ice cream tubs with tap water-

NON aircon room. it was 29-30c before installed fan. Even when it was running FL. With PL it went to 30-31c.

Mainly soft corals & fish will survive this kind of temp- nothin in the SPS range.

• SRC Member

so much work ah, bran.. slave to the tank leh.. hehee.. btw, does having more fans help??

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Having more fan will just increase the evaporation rate.

To: Bawater

My friend who has a 2 feet tank, temp is const. at 27. lighting consists of 4 X 36W PL lights and 2 fans, 1 blow, 1 suck. w/in hood. :blink: Dun ask me how he does it, amazing temp control! To think my 3 feet fresh water is 29 with 6 X 18W FL. Dame his good!

My marine tank now 27 with 2 X18W. Nothing inside tank, except for a pump, sand and 2kg LR. [Just started mah... ;)

I'll wait till after my exams complete my DIY fans [or get a box fan cheaper], then pop by lighting shop again, to maybe get MH. But I'll have to see the temp. w/ fan result. water evaporation can be curb by having a water top up system. Most prob, I'll have 2 fans blowigng/###### directly at the MH, mounted as high [limit by bed] as possible. :(

Anyone with other suggestions? Or tried and tested methods?

• SRC Member

zero- dunno bout the rest, i just tested by my cheapo method.

18mths of trial & counting.

4x36w PL+ 2x FL over 4ft. 28c is good enough for me now & everyone inside look happy.

The MH i interested is for a near future tank(i already have the chiller & another set of 4x PL).

Kel- boh pian!! error from the start so gotta make do.

ice thing no problem- throw everythin in the hang on. i spend more time feeding all the tanks then anything else.