Triggerfishes

• SRC Member

Just for interest sake, is anyone keeping/has kept them and would like to share their experience with them?

Think they're interesting little creatures, am currently keeping a Picasso and have always wanted an Undulated but never dared to get one because of their fearsome reputation..

My Picasso is by far the most interesting fish in my tank, likes to blow the sand at the bottom of the tank whenever he's hungry, and lies down to sleep on the sand against the glass when i turn off the lights.

Always hungry, he'll swim up to the water surface whenever he sees anyone approaching his tank. He'll even snatch food from other fishes' mouth, which means it can be quite difficult to feed other fishes sometimes.. :eyebrow:

He even gets mood swings sometimes, especially when i interfere in his tank. He'll charge to a corner of the tank, lie down and flick the sand all over with his tail, breathing v rapidly.

Really interesting guy who has never failed to amaze me with his almost human child-like behaviour.. :)

• SRC Member

:lol: jus like my mum's picasso trigger :P

i think she never likes me....

she will nip my fingers when i try to steal some lr from the FOWLR to my reef :P

allways rushing to follow any1 who pass by the tank....

my mum pampered her too much by hand feeding prawns :lol:

she gangs up with my maroon clown to get the most food during feeding time :eyebrow:

anymore ppl keeping picassos? :P

• SRC Member
:lol: jus like my mum's picasso trigger :P

i think she never likes me....

she will nip my fingers when i try to steal some lr from the FOWLR to my reef :P

allways rushing to follow any1 who pass by the tank....

my mum pampered her too much by hand feeding prawns :lol:

she gangs up with my maroon clown to get the most food during feeding time :eyebrow:

anymore ppl keeping picassos? :P

haha.. my fingers got bitten a few times too.. he'll just charge over if i were ever to put my fingers in the tank, and if i'm not fast enough to withdraw i've had it...

But luckily it's always my fingernail that kenna... ;)

• SRC Member

haha.. my fingers got bitten a few times too.. he'll just charge over if i were ever to put my fingers in the tank, and if i'm not fast enough to withdraw i've had it...

But luckily it's always my fingernail that kenna... ;)

my fingers started becoming her chew toy :lol:<_<

telling my mum to give her up once she reach 4inch

nw still a 2inch baby :D

• SRC Member

Oh that's cute... how long've you been keeping the Picasso? Mine's almost 4 inch now, had him for some months already. I can occasionally catch glimpses of his teeth, they're definitely a threat to fingers.. :nc:

Nevertheless i think Picassos are much more docile than the Clown triggers... Seems that Clown triggers like baring and showing off their sharp teeth from time to time. Once at an lfs i saw a big clown trigger.. i placed my finger against the glass and he turned around, charged over and kept knocking against the glass while baring his fangs. Gave me a shock... Beautiful colouring but with a really nasty temper...

• SRC Member
Trigger and lionfish??? Can anot... Scared it nip the lionfish fin ler...

hmmm.. think you'll be taking a big risk leh.. read somewhere that triggers like to pick at the spines of lionfishes. But again i guess alot depends on which species of trigger you plan to keep..

:lol: hey

i also have a picasso trigger. it is exactly as u guys have described. it bit me once when i was handfeeding the fish. i got a shock and never handfeed them any more. always pray hard when i have to put my hand into the tank to feed my sebaes and bulb tip anemones. the trigger always snatched food from my small sebae <_<

nevertheless, it is really an interesting fish to keep. it is rather friendly with my clowns, BT and YT. especially YT, they even share a cave for the first few nights and I wonder if either one of them have identity crisis :lol:

as for trigger and lion fish, I have posted this question before. other reefer bros have advised me against keeping both as trigger will nip at the fin of lion fish. Now So I bought a cowhorn box fish instead. so far so good. :whistle

• SRC Member
cornyfish Posted: Sep 11 2004, 09:55 PM   

Just for interest sake, is anyone keeping/has kept them and would like to share their experience with them?

Think they're interesting little creatures, am currently keeping a Picasso and have always wanted an Undulated but never dared to get one because of their fearsome reputation..

been keeping an undulated for almost a year.

if you want, you can have it FOC ;)

super hardy

• SRC Member

Had a niger tigger once upon a time, until I give it away to the reefer who also bought my 4ft tank. :lol:

My, this guy is fierce....practically jump up to grap the chunks of market prawns I was trying to feed him and some corals. Well, the corals had no chance to the food. Bite my fingers many times. The only LS it dosen't touch was my BTA. :lol:

As its past-time behavour, likes to create deep, big hollows in sand to sleep.

Ya, interesting fellow, but too fierce to my liking. :angry:

• SRC Member
:lol: hey

i also have a picasso trigger. it is exactly as u guys have described. it bit me once when i was handfeeding the fish. i got a shock and never handfeed them any more. always pray hard when i have to put my hand into the tank to feed my sebaes and bulb tip anemones. the trigger always snatched food from my small sebae <_<

nevertheless, it is really an interesting fish to keep. it is rather friendly with my clowns, BT and YT. especially YT, they even share a cave for the first few nights and I wonder if either one of them have identity crisis :lol:

as for trigger and lion fish, I have posted this question before. other reefer bros have advised me against keeping both as trigger will nip at the fin of lion fish. Now So I bought a cowhorn box fish instead. so far so good. :whistle

i saw some baby yellow boxfishes at Aquamarin last weekend, very cute and very tempted to get them. But scared they get chased by the Picasso, release poison into the water and nuke the tank... :(

• SRC Member
Had a niger tigger once upon a time, until I give it away to the reefer who also bought my 4ft tank. :lol:

My, this guy is fierce....practically jump up to grap the chunks of market prawns I was trying to feed him and some corals. Well, the corals had no chance to the food. Bite my fingers many times. The only LS it dosen't touch was my BTA. :lol:

As its past-time behavour, likes to create deep, big hollows in sand to sleep.

Ya, interesting fellow, but too fierce to my liking. :angry:

wah, and nigers are supposed to be amongst the most docile of triggers... Just imagine a Clown Trigger or an Undulate. ;) Don't think it's possible to keep anything else in the tank with them, so i won't be able to accomodate one in my current tank... Maybe i'll consider keeping one if i get an extra tank.. haha. But thanks anyway bum! :)

oh btw, is it true that nigers have red teeth?

in my wife's 5 footer...a picasso, a black patch bursa trigger and a blue chin trigger...

nice fishes...reef safe? nope :lol:

cute? they are...love the way they swim ;)

i saw some baby yellow boxfishes at Aquamarin last weekend, very cute and very tempted to get them. But scared they get chased by the Picasso, release poison into the water and nuke the tank... :(

yo bro, how big is your picasso? why don't u get a YT that is about the same size.

I introduced my YT first. Picasso was added about one month later and it was about the same size as my YT but bigger than the rest of my nemos and BT. My Picasso is a good boy, no trouble with the rest. :P actually I was quite scared when i let it into the tank and had my fingers crossed... :whistle

Last week just added the longhorned cowfish, never see Picasso chasing the cow. maybe it is afraid of the horns. :lol:

let see what other reefers advise about adding a baby YT into your tank. :ph34r:

Pardon my ignorant, does trigger emit poison?

• SRC Member

oh, my picasso is about 8-10cm long now, and i sometimes see him chasing my longnosed hawkfish around the tank even though he was added after the hawkfish.

btw, yt means yellow tang?

triggers don't emit poison (not that i'm aware of anyway) but it's the boxfish/cowfishes that sometimes do when stressed. :erm:

oh, my picasso is about 8-10cm long now, and i sometimes see him chasing my longnosed hawkfish around the tank even though he was added after the hawkfish.

btw, yt means yellow tang?

triggers don't emit poison (not that i'm aware of anyway) but it's the boxfish/cowfishes that sometimes do when stressed. :erm:

aiyo

sorry sorry see wrongly. thought you referring to yellow tang instead of boxfish :paiseh::P

btw, your picasso quite big hor. mine is only about 6 cm.

• SRC Member

oh haha.. forgot to mention earlier...

My picasso has a very lazy habit in that after nightfall when it gets dark and he goes to sleep, it's very hard to wake him up and get him to eat. Even if he has not been fed the whole day and i turn on the tank lights to feed him at night, he takes a long time to get out of his resting place and even then will ignore whatever food offered to him, swimming past as though he can't see it. Sometimes he will act as though he has double vision, pecking wildly at the water beside the food (if you understand what i mean ;) ), ultimately failing to grab the food in his mouth. I guess this shows that he's actually very hungry but maybe being groggy from sleep, can't see very well...

Again, one of the picasso's humanlike traits... :P

Wonder if anyone has the same experience with their trigger?