LFS listings

• SRC Member

ya lor this is a very good idea especially for these days. there are simply too many fish shop around that don't sell marine stuffs. or there are some marine shop that only do setup and sell equipment. a few times i went to these shops but nothing to see.

can have a description of the shop, talking about what the shop does.

i think this should be easy as there are not really too many to list and marine shop don't just pop up everywhere overnight like louhan shops.. ehehehe

I think LFS is not so impt. as you can seach at Aquatic Realm webby for it, a good complete listing in whole Singapore. What I feel is that there should have topic section (read only) Basic of starting marine/reef keeping. All deatails inform on How to start a marine tank, what things needed, what to except and so on. This is to STOP 1st timer to keep asking the same old questions on "Hi, I'm a newibe here and I want to start marine and I dun no how? Can you help" or "I'm new in the hobby and I want to know the cost of starting a 2ft tank"........ :angry:

• SRC Member

hi hi,

i also try to get a marine listing from Aquatic Realms but the listing consist of non-marine shops too. i have to go thru the whole big list to find out which are the marine shops.

and also i have tried doing a search with the key word 'marine', the result is better but still some non-marine shops will pop up. even if it's a marine shop, the listing is too big to maintain, some are not updated.

i still think it's a good idea for this site to have a marine listing. much easier to locate shops and smaller list means easier to maintain with updates. and also a more detail description of the shops can be given.

as for having a section for Starters, i also think it's a good idea but it's not to stop newbie to ask questions. if newbie can know everything from reading up, what's the forum for right?

actually i find that it's ok to post repeated questions once in a while since different people will answer them and different answers will be given depending on the person's point of view. every one have their own way of doing things, own ways of keeping fish. is this what forums are about? communication? :)

Hay, dun get me wrong. The starter section is not totally stopping them to ask baisc questions but more for them to read up b4 asking. What I'm in a few forums is that most newbie just want to start marine w/o even try to find out basic info. but take a short cut in asking why this why that. After you spending time to explain in details to them and end up.....back to square one again. To me, if you want to start a hobby, not only marine/reef keeping, you should at least spend some time to read up and get some basic and see if you are suitable or able to effort the hobby. In short, be responsible on what you in.

• SRC Member

IMO, if i like to start off a hobby such as marine keeping, dogs or modeling kit.. i would try to read up on it.. that way, i can minimise my mistakes and learn the proper way to start.. at least, if i dun like it.. the most i lose.. is the cost of the book.. :)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Yes, got. So far I've gotten

Harlequin

Sealife

Marine Image (yishun)

Kwang's

Not much yet but still...

I haven't got pics of the inside though, just the shop outside and places leading to the shops. Didn't want to ask the uncles whether can take pics of the insides of their shops.

• SRC Member

Marine Image (Yishun Central) now only do set ups and don't sell fishes anymore.

Hawaii Marine (Sembawang) is now renovating and might be closed for a few weeks or on some days. They have an eight feet show tank in the making and re-doing all their tanks in the shop. Can speak to Willy for picture taking when they have finish their reno.

• SRC Member
Marine Image (Yishun Central) now only do set ups and don't sell fishes anymore.

Hawaii Marine (Sembawang) is now renovating and might be closed for a few weeks or on some days. They have an eight feet show tank in the making and re-doing all their tanks in the shop. Can speak to Willy for picture taking when they have finish their reno.

They do, I think. They have livestock in bags in a styrofoam box beside the entrance. A few soft corals and fishes only. Navarchus angel.

• SRC Member

keong seong's at the v popular teochew porridge at havelock road. take a train to tiong bahru n walk towards the police post from the back of tiong bahru plaza.

harlequin's at cavan road. nearest mrt's lavendar. it's near the singapore casket.

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bluebeard this might help:

Marine Life Hobbielist

178, West Coast Way, Hong Leong Garden Shopping Centre, Singapore 127086

Tel: 67774047

Webby: www.marinelifehobbielist.com

Contact Person: Patrick Wong 90107128

But heard he's selling the shop to some other guy early next year... but it will continue to be called marine life hobbielist.