Filter To Use For A 2ft Tank

i am about to start a 2ft tank.i plan to keep just 3 clown fish, 1blenny,1cow fish,2cleaner shrimp,1turbosnail and some corals withdead rock and supercoraline rocks.would a librty hang on back filter be able to cope together with a 900 l/h powerhead.please help and advise. :bow::thanks:

• SRC Member
i am about to start a 2ft tank.i plan to keep just 3 clown fish, 1blenny,1cow fish,2cleaner shrimp,1turbosnail and some corals withdead rock and supercoraline rocks.would a librty hang on back filter be able to cope together with a 900 l/h powerhead.please help and advise. :bow::thanks:

i'm using liberty 200 hangon type on my 2 ft too... have a look..i would say the water is clear

post-6-1061647633.jpg

• SRC Member

pls note that the cow fish can outgrow ur 2ft tank.

• SRC Member
Wat is that pump hanging on the top left hand corner??? wat is the use?? i see shop got sell but dun really noe the use of it.. pls help>...

on the left is my skimmer n beside it is my small powerhead.. on the rite corner is the hang on filter

• SRC Member

power head in tank use to make waves its needed to increase oxygen content and also to make corals open up if not wrong make them look nice..

waves will also clean em' from particles..

power head in tank use to make waves its needed to increase oxygen content and also to make corals open up if not wrong make them look nice..

waves will also clean em' from particles..

Eh not all coral appreciate to much waves unless sps

• SRC Member

a sump would be the best filter... buden... u can use a canister as well... cheaper solution... but note that canister produce lotsa nitrates... a frequent water change would reduce high nitrate level..

there are also lots products in LFS that claimed to remove/reduce nitrates... i didnt try those... so i can't comment.

i am also having a 2 ft now.i am using a canister with under gravel filtration. the canister is onli $150 for quite a big 1 from redsea, n u can save the powerhead 2.

y cowfish? i find it ugly. y not a boxfish?

post-6-1062085360.jpg

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

• SRC Member

hi air,

decided not to use canister coz my tank is too low to the ground... afraid that the canister cannot cope with the "siphoning"... a hang on sounds good to me easier to maintain though the filteration "area" is not as wide as a canister... i guess i would still do for a 2 footer....

hope to hear some comments from Razo... and btw Razo how many l/h is your small power head? and your light seems to be purple? :shock:

• SRC Member
hi Razo just to check wats the dimension of your tank? 24x12x18? around how much did you take to setup this tank?

thxs,everyone.but wat is the dimension of that two feet tank ,razo

hi sinner/bacon... sorry for the late reply... yes my tank is that 24x12x18....at that time i took the pic is below SG400.00.. been adding more stuff recently... will update later

• SRC Member
hope to hear some comments from Razo... and btw Razo how many l/h is your small power head? and your light seems to be purple? :shock:

i really have no idea how many l/h is my powerhead.. (old 1- used to be an submersible internal filter.. i remove the bottom part and reverse the powerhead) brand/model is hailea 1000 or something like that(....i on my artinic when i took the pic... dunno y it turns out pinkish/purpleish... looks blue on ###### eye... :blink:

• SRC Member
my small box ^^

nice box fish... but take note that they will realse toxic when stressed...

taken fm a website...

"..The cowfish is usually more angular-shaped and with various size horns, hence its name. Boxfishes/Trunkfishes do not have horns and their bodies are mostly trunk/box-shaped. They are all slow swimmers and are mostly found in shallow waters, sometimes in grass beds. They feed by blowing away bottom sand and looking for small invertebrate.

They are all in the same family and are either box or angular-shaped. All have a rigid body composed of bony plates covered with toxic mucus that can be released when stressed. The only body openings are for the eyes, mouth, gills, anus, and fins. Boxfish poisonings are rare, with the only recorded incident being with the Blue Boxfish from Hawaii. But, I suspect it happened to a northern Arizona store owner who called me after finding all his fish dead one morning, including the Blue Boxfishes in his system..."

Common Name: Spotted / Yellow / Cube Boxfish

Species Name: Ostracion cubicus (Linnaeus, 1758) General Husbandry: Requires a varied yet mostly meaty diet with numerous daily feedings. Do not offer floating foods as it can cause buoyancy problems. A slow moving fish, therefore, it should not be housed with fast moving and/or fin-nipping fishes. Provide hiding places/caves. Capable of releasing a toxin when older that can kill all fishes in the aquarium including itself. Stress from tankmates, competition during feeding, little swimming room can cause the release. Activated carbon will remove the toxic, however, its usually too late to save it or its tankmates once it happens.

• SRC Member

they are probably talking talking about berlin system which shld only be used with a skimmer anyway. no mechanical filtration all the detritus is going to look ugly. just get a filter and dun rely on complicated non-feasible methods u are not too sure about.

hi air,

decided not to use canister coz my tank is too low to the ground... afraid that the canister cannot cope with the "siphoning"... a hang on sounds good to me easier to maintain though the filteration "area" is not as wide as a canister... i guess i would still do for a 2 footer....

just curious....y would u want to put it low to the ground..wont have backache while admiring ur tank meh :huh:

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself