Main tank leaking!

vincegoh

Last week Thursday, my sump area started to have some water ponding. I cleaned it up and suspected that my sump is leaking.

Then last week Saturday, there is a bigger pool of water ponding at my sump area. I cleaned it up again trying to find the leak.

However, on next few days, there is no water. TILL YESTERDAY NIGHT!

The water ponding get so serious that it flow out of my cabinet! After another cleaning up, my wife noticed that the water actually flow down from the main tank!

My main tank is seated in a recess of 4" cabinet hence I cannot see the interface between the styrofoam and the tank bottom. But using some paper, I manage to discovered that the recess is wet.

My main tank is 5' x 2' x 2.5' with 12mm thick glass.

Now I cannot find where is the leak at the bottom of the tank!

If have to remove the whole tank, then will be big project! Anyway to savage this situation?

:thanks:

Actually all sides are wet! Though I noticed that one end of the tank seems to be more wet. But this does not really proof much since it may just be the lowest point.

Anyone can share similar tragic experience?

This is a picture taken a year ago when the tank had not arrive yet.

post-6-1095406652.jpg

• SRC Member

IMO if u confirm that is a leak and not pipes leaking, then u have no choice but to remove everything if u want to find out the source of leaking..... I will first buy a cheap tank and start xfering the livestock. Nxt, call the manfacturer.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Hi, just like you before, either the tank base seam silicon leak or the pipe join at the overflow to the sump. If at the overflow at the base of the tank and can be access still not a problem, mine was below the tank, have to remove everything and tilt the tank...happen during the set up time. For your case, better to prepare first before the tank burst.

To: Clownfish

The piping systems are doing ok.

To: neokn

Really appreciate your geninue offer to help. :)

I have taken a day off from yesterday afternoon till today afternoon. Met up with the manufacturer yesterday afternoon and they confirmed that the leakage is at the bottom. hence they provide me with a 3' x 2' x 1.5' old tank to transfer all my stuffs and live stocks. They also provide me with boxes to contain my 4" DSB.

Also, i have to clean the whole tank so that the worker can work on. I spent a non-stop 8 hours to do the above! Only get to eat my dinner at 11pm.

Today morning, the guys come over to redo the silicon sealant. However, I see that they only redo the top layer of the bottom glass. Worry that it may not hold.

Will wait till Monday before placing into the water for testing.

By the way, the manager of the tank manufacturer said that the cause is most likely due to a type of marine worm that will "drill" into the silicon causing it to leaks.

Anyone heard of this?

He also mentioned that we can see the hole when I removed everything from the tank. But nothing can be seen leh?

Hi, are they doing one side or all the four side, better to get them re-silicon all

the four sides. If you are not comfortable and to play safe can get them to

apply two layers...double protection. So, you can sleep soundly.

They removed all bottom silicon (the external portion) and redo all of it. Now my house stink of ammonia

btw, the "expert" who redo the silicon has mentioned that the ich medication that is use will harden the silicon thus causing the leakage! He can see that I have used the medication before due to the slight blue coloration on the 4 sides of my tank (Not all the bottom).

However, he admit that the silicon at the bottom is still flexible and normal when he removed it.

I have only used once the ich medication which is bought from ML. Anyway, I would not be using it anymore as I find it more damaging than effective.

So seems that there are 2 reasons given by the manufacturer manager and "expert.

1) A certain type of marine worm that "drill" though the silicon

2) medication will cause the silicon to harden

Bros, wat is your opinion on this?

• SRC Member

No comment.

But I do realise after working in sales industry for awhile or maybe just any industry, anything also not our fault it's always the customers fault and any c**k and bull story will come out.

Just a quetsion, what type of silicon are they using to re-inforce the tank to prevent re-occurrence?

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

din noe got worm so strong can dig thru more than 12mm of silicon :blink:

medication shld be okay too wat....

if it's ur fault, they wont redo everything for u liao... :P

IMO, they juz wan to say like 'hey it's partly ur fault hor' so that their tank building reputation wont get tarnished mah :D

but they shld be discussing like the pressure of the water/rocks u added to the tank or the quality of silicon u paid for instead of such lame ideas loh :snore:

anyway, wats most impt is that they uphold their warranty n redo the tank for u lah.... at least that showed they r trustworthy... ;)

happy reefing ;)

No comment.

But I do realise after working in sales industry for awhile or maybe just any industry, anything also not our fault it's always the customers fault and any c**k and bull story will come out.

Just a quetsion, what type of silicon are they using to re-inforce the tank to prevent re-occurrence?

They said that the silicon is from Germany. They have already feedback to Germany supplier on the effect of medication on the silicon.

• SRC Member

such things happen. Smile and be polite, and hopefully they will service the tank. If they do charge, can always start pm'ing. Power of information, brother ;)

As long as you recognize that mistakes do happen, and they are willing to salvage the error, then let bygones be bygones.

Best luck cheers :)

• SRC Member

wow... BEWARE of the silicon eating worms!!! Talk about fear factor! :yeah:

din noe got worm so strong can dig thru more than 12mm of silicon :blink:

medication shld be okay too wat....

if it's ur fault, they wont redo everything for u liao... :P

IMO, they juz wan to say like 'hey it's partly ur fault hor' so that their tank building reputation wont get tarnished mah :D

but they shld be discussing like the pressure of the water/rocks u added to the tank or the quality of silicon u paid for instead of such lame ideas loh :snore:

anyway, wats most impt is that they uphold their warranty n redo the tank for u lah.... at least that showed they r trustworthy... ;)

happy reefing ;)

Well, I am glad that they are pretty responsible. They have also react quite fast. That is why, I have not made a big hoo-ha over it. I can be pretty nasty at time. ;)

However, I am the one who pay the most since I have to spent so much time to remove and replacing everything and risk my LS of dying. Also, I have to pay for the new sea-water since it will help in lowering the risk of my LS dying when I placed them back into the tank. The cost is about $150.

Furthermore, during the leakage night, I automatically wake up every 2 hours since I was so stressed out worrying the the tank might just leak a lot or "burst" - flooding my house!

Till now, they have not give me a valid reason.

I cannot take another "blow" if then tank should leaks again. If that happens, I will bring it to CASE or whatever authorities necessary. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
Mine is worse! My tank leak and the shop closed down. Couldn't locate the manufacturer.

Ya, I saw ur thread.

Ur last mail said that u r going to buy new cabinet and tank right? Good for you. Made sure that it is chenai (maybe wrong spelling) wood - good for marine environment. ;)

• SRC Member

when making tanks, there are 2 layers of silicone being applied. the first is the layer between the glass, this is where the hold and strength of the tank is determined. the second layer is the one where it is applied thickly to the sides of the glass. this is meant for water proofing the tank. this is why they scrape this piece off and reapplied and not taking the entire tank apart. if they do the latter, i would suggest u get a new tank instead.

cannot really blame manufacturer cos dunno what happen and already 1 year old. actually not that old lah but i think manufacturers dun give warranty more than 6 months so cannot make and should not make noise. nothing is forever. if u r lucky, use 10 years oso ok.

speaking of that, my tanks already 5 years old. time to change for safety sake hehehe got excuse liao except this is not my marine tank :(