Budget Airline

minsmarine

• SRC Member

Had any1 here tanken on Budget Airline b4 ?

Me just wonder if they are selling their ticket at below 1$, how are they going to make profit ( by mean of cutting on maintenance ?, was told AirAsia maintenance service is done by STAero ).

How their service like, and how do u feel.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

Actually I will be taking Tiger Air this coming Nov.

I feel that the below $1 are for only limited seats on limited days only.

I for example paid $295 for a return ticket to Bangkok for departure 11 Nov. Where is the $1 deal???????

As for the service definitely not as good, even before I leave they already tell me that I have to confirm whether I am extending, if so, I need to pay surcharge! Not like SQ, you can decide 24hrs before as long as they have the seats.

Anyway, I really hope their inflight service is OK cuz me bringing my parents who is first time taking plane.

By the way, in SQ, we call the Stewardess Singapore Girls so in Tiger Air do we call them 'Tiger Girls' or Tigeress??????

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I have read a comparative cost study between traditional airline and budget airline. Rest assured that both spend as much on maintenace almost. Budget airlines manage to save a little by operating a fleet of one airplane model only.

Main cost cuts come by direct selling of tickets over the internet (no middleman), by using alternative smaller cheaper airports or negociating cheaper services with the airports (further distance, flexible timeslot...). The meals & drinks don't seem like much, but it does cut cost on labour and logistics. Airline catering is expensive and the hostess that serves the meal is expensive. The personel has to be very flexible too on working hours and job scope. Pays are not very high either. Pilots are usually younger pilots that cost less and that need to get flight hours for their Cv to hope to get a job with a mainstream airline.

Yes, the 1$ ticket is just one or two on the plane. Looks nice on the add! The couldn't sell all the spots at $1...

But security wise, there is nothing to worry about... at least I was told!

• SRC Member
Pays are not very high either. Pilots are usually younger pilots that cost less and that need to get flight hours for their Cv to hope to get a job with a mainstream airline.

As what I know, the regional airline pilots take home pay are slightly less or equal to what the main stream airline jumbo pilots after the recent pay adjustment. Why?? Because the regional airline nearly closed down because more than 50% of the pilots quited after the SARS pay cut. As for the main stream airline, they can absorb more people quitting as they over employed/overstaff.

In the end, all lies in the equation of supply and demand. If supply is short, can ask for good pay rise even in bad times. Supply surplus, then be prepared to take a pay cut.

• SRC Member
I for example paid $295 for a return ticket to Bangkok for departure 11 Nov. Where is the $1 deal???????

Hoo it's more expensive than SQ, SQ has promotion I believe If I am not wrong 240+Charges so almost same as Tiger

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Domonio,

So where do they make money from ? If they are having the same standard maintanence like main stream carriers.

I believe their business operation cost are from Pilot's wages, Fule, Landing Fee while their revenue from Ticket Sale, Cargo.

Ocean Gump

Hoo it's more expensive than SQ, SQ has promotion I believe If I am not wrong 240+Charges so almost same as Tiger

Yah loh.

Too bad I wasn't the person in charge of liaising with our company's regular agency. If not, I will give them 'several' pieces of my minds with some 'french' to spare! :evil::evil::evil:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Actually I will be taking Tiger Air this coming Nov.

I feel that the below $1 are for only limited seats on limited days only.

i'll be taking AirAsia to Phuket, return inclusive taxes, S$125 i think.. depart on 11 Nov, back on 15 Nov. Going diving!! :P this is cheap i would say as compared to the last time i took Virgin Air from Melbourne to tasmania during my studies in Aus, costing me almost A$200 return. :(

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

i'll be taking AirAsia to Phuket, return inclusive taxes, S$125 i think.. depart on 11 Nov, back on 15 Nov. Going diving!! :P this is cheap i would say as compared to the last time i took Virgin Air from Melbourne to tasmania during my studies in Aus, costing me almost A$200 return. :(

Wah lao! At first we book ValueAir leaving Nov12 my colleague says we have to pay $230. Later changed to Tiger leaving Nov11 increased to $297 excluding tax!

She claims that it is due to peak season thus the loading.

Wa I think I better give CPIB a call liao. :angry:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Bro,

Next time check with www.singaporeair.com first.

Just checked for 10 Nov , ticket charg is only 188 b4 tax.

SQ normal fare is 420, but internet fare is 320, so if you are paying 297 than must well take SQ. Experience cant compare.

Ocean Gump

Bro,

Next time check with www.singaporeair.com first.

Just checked for 10 Nov , ticket charg is only 188 b4 tax.

SQ normal fare is 420, but internet fare is 320, so if you are paying 297 than must well take SQ. Experience cant compare.

You know la. Office got politic mah, all our travel stuffs she books want mah. If you book youself she not happy. The last I went SF & China never ask her to book, she never talk to me for 2 moths!

Anyway, I am begining to wonder whether there is 'kopi $$$' involved. :angry:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Haa Haa corporate affair is like that, especially if u are in red dot related companies.

Like our sis say, yea I remember my first trip to US my little red dot company pay 9K for business class on SQ ( She booked from another red dot travell company S**E, while I can get from other source only 5K. Oh yea, from that time, by passed cop affair to book , but to make them happy always buy something for them every trip ( from my daily expenses :( ). Which make both happy.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

hmm... i took Air Asia last month to BKK from JB.. a bit troublesome but a lot of saving.. total cost for the return airticket+ all the admin charges, taxes and return tax from bkk(500baht) + 2 nite hotel stay cost me SG$236.00... cheap rite... forget to add thats for 2 ppl.. :)

overall i dun mind travelling with budget air again.. but must fly from singapore :)

• SRC Member

So far I heard only cost factor - have you heard about their service.

I had a friend who took Air Asia and he waited 5 hours to board the plane - why ... because the plane require some spare part and they have to wait for the spare part to be flown in from another place...

So bottom line ... if you want to take budget airline .. make sure you have load of time .....and there is so seating arrangment .. make sure you are early to catch the good seat otherwise .. be prepare to sit beside the engines...

My 2 cents.

• SRC Member

Yup true read some article in newspaper. The guy who written the report waited for 8 hours in senai airport. The problem is that they dont have spare parts. The budget airline is good if everything goes well. If something goes wrong better prepared to wait for many hours.

:D

• SRC Member

What service you talking about? There is no free lunch in this world. If you want to pay $150 for a round trip ticket to Bangkok, prepare for the worse.

On my flight from Singapore to Bkk on AirAsia, I ever ask for a pen to fill out the immigration form, and the air stewardess said that she doesn't have it, and will come back to me. She never did. When I asked again, she got so irritated. So, the rational of the story is, bring your own pen. BTW, 3 rows before me had to endure a wet shirt because the aircon was dripping.

• SRC Member

Haa Haa

Need not to rush, I normally reach to airport just 40mins before depature. Bad guy hah, always the last one to get boarding pass.

I never bring a pen to fill up the immigration form. Normally I would ask airstrewardess to lent me one ( they always said bring home, but I never do )

Will have slip of wine before meal :D Used to have 2 setions before SARS.

It's all you can eat on SQ, mean you could ask for extra if you still not full.

Can have shaving and comb , brush the teeth before touch down.

Need not to worry aircon too cold nor not cold enough. Too cold, get blanket.

Need bit of worry on aircraft servising. Less worry for my wife.

No need to walk in the rain to catch bus.

Yea I paid 320 ( cause only 1 pax ) + tax.

So I guess it's worth :D

Everyone has different points of view. So please do share

Ocean Gump