Fishes only eat flake food!!!!

Hi

my fishes used to eat mysis shrimps, brimp shrimp and Henry's (ML) homemade food. but one mth ago i bought a lemonpeel dwarf and i quarantine the fish for 2 weeks to wean him and he ate only cyclopeeze. now 2 weeks into my main tank. something weird has happened!!!!

ALl my fishes have become flaketarians ( as what my gf calls it). i feed them mysis, and any frozen food, they don't it. But if i feed flake food all of them snatch greedily. i feed prime reef, formula 1 and OSI spirulina flakes and of course cyclopeeze (which started all my problems becos i fed more cyclopeeze to beef the lemonpeel up). They are all healthy and eating well. In fact my pygmy is so fat he looks like hes gonna burst.

Any1 with this problem??

becos i always add garlic and selcon to frozen food before feeding and im afraid they wont get neccessary vitamins if they continue only eating flakes. This has gone on for more than a week. Instead all my cleaner shrimps are having a feast everyday on frozen food.

i currently have 4 dwarf angels.

Flame, Pygmy, Ebli, and the lemonpeel.

ALL OF THEM ARE FLAKETARIANS!!!!

:blink::blink::blink:

Yes bro,

maybe u are right. the mysis may be bad cos i buy them 1 box at a time. Whats the lifespan of mysis in the freezer. i think ive kept them for abt 3-4 mths already and now im down to my second last slab.

will try to get new ones to entice once more. hope it works.

mayb im paranoid but i jus feel that too much of the same food will actually harm them in the long run so i try to alternate.

same like if i eat roti prata everyday i think i will die by the time im 30.

<_<

Yes bro,

maybe u are right. the mysis may be bad cos i buy them 1 box at a time. Whats the lifespan of mysis in the freezer. i think ive kept them for abt 3-4 mths already and now im down to my second last slab.

will try to get new ones to entice once more. hope it works.

mayb im paranoid but i jus feel that too much of the same food will actually harm them in the long run so i try to alternate.

<_<

basically depends on what kind of fish you keep.... If angel and tangs they need more than just one kind of food... the more kind of food you can provide the better is it

<_<

:lol::lol:

Btw, I noticed you typed this >> "becos i always add garlic and selcon to frozen food before feeding and im afraid they wont get neccessary vitamins if they continue only eating flakes."

meaning you defrost for quite some time to add the garlic and freeze after that each time you feed? Then maybe due to the many times of doing this, the frozen food (including Henry's food) has gone bad.... <_<

• SRC Member
nah i dun wait for it to defrost

i basically do this.

Henry's mix i dun add anything feed it frozen wash it down and feed.

for mysis, i wash the cubes down and add selcon and garlic, 10 mins later i feed.

Hi Bro,

You wasted your selcon and garlic. You need to soak them overnight to enable the shrimp to fully absorb the selcon and garlic.

• SRC Member
really???? ive wasted the selcon and garlic!!!! ooooo ok now i know. thanks for the tip. now ive to figure out a way again how to feed and not spoil the food.

thanks

What I do is get one of those tibit bottle and every night when I get home from work drop mysis 4 cubes into it.

After about 30 mins, I will get rid of the water in the bottle with the help of a teaspoon.

Next I will add garlic guard and selcon and close the cap on the bottle. Shake...shake...shake and put the bottle back into the refrigrator.

Next day, just feed.

• SRC Member

I don't know whether I'm doing it right or not. Anyway, this is how I soak my BS, MS and pellet.

MS/ BS - Cubes are left to defrost in a container in the lower compartment of the fridge. Excess water drain after MS/ BS fully defrost in 20 to 30mins time. Cut a small hole on the Garlic softgel and squeeze the oil onto the defrosted MS/ BS. Mix well, put back into the lower compartment of the fridge. Soak overnight or at least 12hrs before feeding. I have 2 containers running back to back.

Pellets - Soak them in small amount of sea water from main tank for 20 to 30mins. Cut a small hole on the Garlic softgel and squeeze the oil onto the pellets. Mix well, put back into the lower compartment of the fridge. Soak overnight or at least 12hrs before feeding.

It's one of those day where I forget to replace the container with the cubes back to the fridge and guess what, the fully defrosted BS gives out a foul smell :sick::sick: which I later threw away as I don't want to posion the LS. I think the duration that the cubes are exposed without proper refrigration for 10mins.

I don't buy them in a box too. Coz 1 tray can last me 8 days and if there is 10 trays in the box it will last me up to 2.5months. Also, it's a good excuse to visit the LFS as fish food runs out. :evil::evil::evil:

Cheers, happy feeding.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Feed only one kind of food is not good for any type of fish, especially angel. I heard that eat only flake or pellet will shorten their lifespan. Try to feed as many kind of food as possible.

shorten lifespan i not very sure, but most likely will hv a snap or 2 at ur corals.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png