Color turning to Pink while PO4 is almost 1

• SRC Member

As above, my SPS are turning light pink color with white color tips, white with green tips. Look getting nicer, however, tested my PO4 2 time in this 3 weeks. I get same result almost 1.

Can any1 tell me where should I correct.

Lighting : 2 x 150w 20K XM DE for 7 hours.

Feeding : 2 cubs of frozen brain shrimp ( my fishes consume within 1 min ) daily

NO3 : Below 5

NO2 : 0

CA : 420

PH : 8.3

Test Kits : Salrfite. ( I believe I spell right ). So no need to worry about not reading correctly.

LS :

2 x Percula Clown

3 x Desmal

1 x Fire Gobby

1 x Sandsnift Gobby

1 x Gobby

1 x Copper Bend Butterfly

A fews Crabs

No coral chip, no bioballs.

Macro AS300 Skimmer running with Resun 6000 2,800L/hr.

Have a pack of Tunze PO4 remover in casinater filter. Changed every 1 month.

My tank has indirect sunlight at day time cause next to window. But it's not bright enough.

No alge growing on the glass, but lot of green grass ( I believe like turtle glass ) start growing on the left side of the tank ( which has indirect sunlight ).

Most of my LR are purple color now from white ( I understand that is the good sign of water )

Any point to start look for ?

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
bro, what are the original colors of ur sps? mind posting some pics.... might just be bleaching ;)

Orginal color was darker than current.

All polys are extending well.

No sign of STN , RTN.

Just matter of why PO4 is 1PPM.

Turn on light longer mean more PO4.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

I read somewhere that to reduce PO4, reduce Poto periods, feeding.... on RC if I am not worng.

I am not having any problem with SPS coloring, just want to reduce PO4 to below 0.5PPM.

So back to the track, how to reduce PO4.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I read somewhere that to reduce PO4, reduce Poto periods, feeding.... on RC if I am not worng.

I am not having any problem with SPS coloring, just want to reduce PO4 to below 0.5PPM.

So back to the track, how to reduce PO4.

That is to remove cyano if im not wrong. PO4 is introduced into the tank mainly through feeding and the decomposition of detritus. It has nothing to do with lighting periods. Some phosphate is also introduced into the system when you change water without any purification.

The main ways to reduce phosphate are to reduce feedings, use phosphate absorbers, and to use a better skimmer.

• SRC Member
u must hv been drinking again when u were testing ur PO4 with salifert.

Ah yea, I drink wine for health bro :P Not to get drank and don't drink and drive.

So mean don't drink and test :)

And I tested in the morning b4 go to work so no side effect :rolleyes:

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

That is to remove cyano if im not wrong. PO4 is introduced into the tank mainly through feeding and the decomposition of detritus. It has nothing to do with lighting periods. Some phosphate is also introduced into the system when you change water without any purification.

The main ways to reduce phosphate are to reduce feedings, use phosphate absorbers, and to use a better skimmer.

I feed all my fish only once a day. Some time 2 cubes and most of the time only 1 and hlaf cube a day. I don't want them to be very hungry.

Photosphate Absorber ( Tunze brand ) is in place. Change every 2-3 weeks.

Could that be tab water ? Only thing I have not tested yet is tab water. Top up water is aged but water change wasn't.

Skimmer should be enough I guess, my Macro AS300 is giving me green color mud already :P

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

2 cubes sounds like alot to feed. It would help if you gave us a list of how many fishes you keep and your total tank volume.

Most of us are not using that brand of phosphate absorber so i cannot comment on how good it is. Do you see a drop in phosphate readings after you change out the absorber?

letting the water age will not remove phosphate, it will not even remove chloramine.

Green colour mud is not enough. You should consider changing to a better skimmer.

Also, most hobbist testkit can only detect orthophosphate. So your actual phosphate readings is much much higher.Anything above 0.3 will seriously inhibit calcification.

For further effect and chances of getting your P04 down to 0.5 or even undected, Use a FR together with Rowaphos...and it You can see real great results...i Dun knw much for Tunze PHos remover but Rowaphos is good and effective so far,as i have tested several brands.. and it really can get down to 0.. B)

yea, 2cubes seems to be too much for me too..and the amt of fish is not a lot...and mostly are not too demanding fishes like anthias or tangs...so i think on this issue, u may like to reduce feeding :)

• SRC Member

Feeding & My LS :

2 x Clown ( About 2-2.5" )

1 x Sand Snift Gobby ( 2.5")

1 x 2" Fire Gobby

3 x 1" Desmal

1 x 2.5" Gobby

1 x 3" Fire Shrimp

A few crab.

Feed only once a day.

My tank volume is 180L.

Filled up with 35Kg of LR ( Most of them are with pink color )

3' display with 2' sump ###### refg.

How will get to somewhere from here

Cheer

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
For further effect and chances of getting your P04 down to 0.5 or even undected, Use a FR together with Rowaphos...and it You can see real great results...i Dun knw much for Tunze PHos remover but Rowaphos is good and effective so far,as i have tested several brands.. and it really can get down to 0.. B)

yea, 2cubes seems to be too much for me too..and the amt of fish is not a lot...and mostly are not too demanding fishes like anthias or tangs...so i think on this issue, u may like to reduce feeding :)

Reduce some more ? How much ?

My fish r though a little bit big !

Reduce to 1 cube ?

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

No probelm with SPS.

I believe they are changing color one after another. To adept , the change in MH K and change salt.

In past 4 weeks, I changed MH K' and 95% water change ( to change salt to TM ).

My SPS were turning from dark brown to light brown than to light pink ( most of them, some goes to milky white ). While they are changing color, NO Poly extension, after reach to Light Pink/Milky White than Poly start come out again. Most Poly are white while some blue some green.

So far I am happy with result from SPS, because most of them are come back from STN :). So I believe what I had done should be quite alright, now problem with PO4.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

ive got high bioload; 10 anthias, 4 tangs, a goby nd 2 blennies..... normally feed one cube in the morning and 2 in the evening daily..... not using fr, but my phosphate has been undetectable for the past 2 months..... i used phosban from initial setup and when my phosphate read undetected using salifert testkit, i removed the phosban from my system to prevent leaching... since then never encountered any problems w phosphate....

in my own experience, i think what contributes to such good water parameters is my water change every 2 weeks using RO/DI, efficient skimming and 'washing' of the cubes and straining it before feeding the fish, removing unwanted nutrients in liquid form....

• SRC Member
in my own experience, i think what contributes to such good water parameters is my water change every 2 weeks using RO/DI, efficient skimming and 'washing' of the cubes and straining it before feeding the fish, removing unwanted nutrients in liquid form....

Washing Cube, it's interesting , care to explain more

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

95% water change????? :blink::blink::blink:

Yep, left water only in refg, the rest change with new salt water ( from Italy made salt to Topic Marine ).

No fish nor coral lose in the transaction. Done 3 times b4.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
use a small fine meshed strainer, the one used for kitchen/cooking purposes, just wash the cubes w running tap water til they defrost, then just compress abit against the strainer to dilute the liquids left....

So left with only Shrimp but nothing shrimp :P

Ocean Gump