Why Corals Always Opened so Nicely in LFS?

damsels

Hi brothers,

I am wondering about this lor ... :(

I have visited quite a number of shops and noticed that most of the time LFS do not use MH or T5 on the corals that they are selling ( I think they only use them in their display tank )

A few I observed are in fact just using a FL and Blue light but the corals still opened up very nicely, eg. pratas, bubbles, hammers, etc...

How come leh? Is there a trick behind this? Like dosing alot of trace? etc....

• SRC Member

corals open in the day in the wild.. so if FL lighting is their daylight lighting, then they have no choce but to open up to FL light... They open up in the daylight... so If FL light is the best "daylight" they're getting then they have no choice.. they have to open up to catch more light.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

so that means we can use FL also so all our coral can open big big ??

ahahhahaa just kidding

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

one thing we should also note is that when they are in the LFS, they dun need to go thru long period of stress (no lights) but when we buy them, we are looking towards keeping them for months and years, not a few days only...

if u use only FL, your corals will open also, but its like us being feed only bread everyday, and dying off slowly...

• SRC Member
Back to the question, why they always open nice nice in the LFS? I thought our tanks should be better in terms of water quality? heh heh heh... :) Could it be LFS only use NSW??

maybe...but u'll be surprised by the parameter of some LFS...terrible...

read somewhere that NSW is recommended over salt mix, as they have better and parameter equilibrium..tat's y corals bloom better...

it happen to me tat, when i change my water with NSW, my corals enjoy better...

on sat, i changed my water with saltmix and saw a slight(a little only) diff in my corals, dun really open to their full potential...but no such prob with NSW...

mm...ic...but I do have incident that my corals bought back dont open as nice as in the LFS, somemore when I am using PL tubes. :(

mm...but I guess for corals to open, alot of factors involved. I am just surprised by how nicely the corals can open in the LFS without really good lighting... :paiseh:

• SRC Member

but did anyone of you come across any LFS that has kept their corals for months????? I notice most in fact changes the stuff in their display tank almost every week....next time when you visit a LFS, take a look at their display and you will realise that it keeps changing.....so far only a few shops like ML...etc seems to keep their LS in the display tank the longest and they do use MH and chillers for their display tank!!!

Opening bigger does not indicate thet the coral is of better health, according to A. Calfo, some corals such as elegence will "open big big" cuz they got not enough lights to sustain the zoos in them! As mentioned earlier, they will slowly starve to death.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

also bear in mind that they have a fast turn around time in LFS within days of getting their stock 50% or more could already be sold.. do u think the corals contitions will be this gd if its kept in a longer time under this type of lightings?

• SRC Member
also bear in mind that they have a fast turn around time in LFS within days of getting their stock 50% or more could already be sold.. do u think the corals contitions will be this gd if its kept in a longer time under this type of lightings?

exactly ;)

the LFS display tank have MH/T5 and chiller just like what we try to provide..but the LFS did do a good job to the display tank....

as for those for sale ...have to go asap ..else sure worst than ours in time to come.. :P

• SRC Member
Back to the question, why they always open nice nice in the LFS? I thought our tanks should be better in terms of water quality? heh heh heh... :) Could it be LFS only use NSW??

i came across one farm that use NSW and their coral still the same after months.(6 mths)..and still growing well...and opening big...

a nice majestic look...

their secret is bi weekly nsw change...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

maybe...but u'll be surprised by the parameter of some LFS...terrible...

read somewhere that NSW is recommended over salt mix, as they have better and parameter equilibrium..tat's y corals bloom better...

it happen to me tat, when i change my water with NSW, my corals enjoy better...

on sat, i changed my water with saltmix and saw a slight(a little only) diff in my corals, dun really open to their full potential...but no such prob with NSW...

so did you still continue to use NSW? any problem encounter so far other than the trouble of getting NSW....

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.