shrimps and crabs

• SRC Member

was at kwangs last nite- good thing only had $40 in my pocket.

came away wif- 1 boxfish($10),1 candy shrimp($3),1 male seahorse($7)-cause my female getting lonely & 2 skunk clowns($3 each) & a scooter blenny($3).

boh pian!(owe the wife a boxfish)- started to pick at my starfish as soon as it went in.

took some pics but didn't have time to upload.

still looking for another 4 or so seahorses.

He had small clowtriggers, 1" sizes $40(he told me depends on season- bigger ones $30). sealife@balestier wanted $60 for one.

didn't have much stk , african clowns($4)a tank full & saddleback clowns$5or6) a tank full,& some butterflies. the rest all scattered(mandarins $8). had abt 6 more boxfishes.

said new stk should be next week.

lor halus stk usually comes on fri- & start shipping out on sat afternoon.

reborn stk comes on wed & thu & also sent out by the weekend.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hi bluebeard,

harlequin shrimp feed on echinoderms, i.e starfish and some species of sea urchin. common starfish (gray color one) cost $4-5 per piece...and one large harlequin takes one week to finish one. some LFS owner say take one month... maybe he's refering to smaller shrimp big starfish. :P

after trial and error, i manage to get a mating pair. seeing how they feast together as a couple is great! they'll help each other to turn the big starfish over. never keep ur prized starfish wit h them.

the feeding of the HS is one the most fascinating sight. first the HS will approach the starfish, after positioning itself, using its petal-like front claws as a support, it'll lift up one arm of the star and start multilating it

:o (takes about 3 hours) after so, it'll take it to one corner to eat. while feasting on it, it'll occasionally feed to star to prevent it from dying (strange isn't it)? the remaining star is still alive, so no worry to foul water.

B)

Hi Phang, u got it at $14? mine is $25! looks like kana con alady. must go down to Kwang's someday.

hey one more question coelacanth,

if the starfish need 1 week to 1 month to finish up, will the starfish start to rot and decay and make the water dirty???

right now kwang's don't have stock for the harlequin shrimp.

• SRC Member
was at kwangs last nite- good thing only had $40 in my pocket.

came away wif- 1 boxfish($10),1 candy shrimp($3),1 male seahorse($7)-cause my female getting lonely & 2 skunk clowns($3 each) & a scooter blenny($3).

boh pian!(owe the wife a boxfish)- started to pick at my starfish as soon as it went in.

took some pics but didn't have time to upload.

still looking for another 4 or so seahorses.

He had small clowtriggers, 1" sizes $40(he told me depends on season- bigger ones $30). sealife@balestier wanted $60 for one.

didn't have much stk , african clowns($4)a tank full & saddleback clowns$5or6) a tank full,& some butterflies. the rest all scattered(mandarins $8). had abt 6 more boxfishes.

said new stk should be next week.

lor halus stk usually comes on fri- & start shipping out on sat afternoon.

reborn stk comes on wed & thu & also sent out by the weekend.

wah that's great!

i think i will go Kwang's another time when his stock come.

hey bawater, you still need help with ur lightings?

• SRC Member
Hi Bawater, do u have a separate tank for the seahorse?

Hi Bluebeard, what is red crab? Reef safe? useful?

hey hi chanbi,

i don't know if the red crab is reef safe or not as my tank is a fish only tank with plants and shrimps. the red crab is quite peaceful though.

• SRC Member

If i am not wrong.........the red crab is a snall bright red species.........kwang will usually bring that in

it costs only about 80 cents each and it is like a fiddler crab..............needs an open air surface......

but it wouldn't just die like that even if it is underwater........

can keep dun worry

i think it is just very cute :lol:

• SRC Member

ya lor.. i hope they can survive in water totally..

i have experenice of keeping fresh water red crab, they need to have space above water to survive long.

anyway, i have specially keep 2 red crab in the top filter when there is water and space above water!

REd crabs?

Are they like strawberry crabs? how much did u pay for them?

In btw...monkey shrimps r quite cool...used to have a pair...if i m not wrong the males have huge green claws...and have "fur" like bodies...the female...brownish in colour.

As for pistol shrimps...I think I have like 3 of them in my tank...came free wif my live rocks....hahahaa....pls think twice about having them as every nite i can hear glass snapping sounds...typical of the pistol shrimp snapping its claw to stun smaller prey...

:ph34r:

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

hi hi,

i cannot find on the web what's a strawberry crab so i don't know if red crab is similar to them.

i paid $1 each for them.

these 2 days just witness one of my hermit crab trying to snatch home from another hermit crab and another snail! very interesting!!!

hey, you guys know where i find nice shells for my hermit crab??? don't know if east coast beach can find or not. once there is a shop in suntec selling nice shells but it's gone already!

• SRC Member
REd crabs?

Are they like strawberry crabs? how much did u pay for them?

In btw...monkey shrimps r quite cool...used to have a pair...if i m not wrong the males have huge green claws...and have "fur" like bodies...the female...brownish in colour.

As for pistol shrimps...I think I have like 3 of them in my tank...came free wif my live rocks....hahahaa....pls think twice about having them as every nite i can hear glass snapping sounds...typical of the pistol shrimp snapping its claw to stun smaller prey...

Pistols or Mantis Shrimps???

I would glady trade or buy from you if they are Pistols :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

actually it's ok to walk to Kwang's from Paya Lebar MRT, i just walked today. maybe it's because i used to live around there for 15 years, i find the place rather familar and small and so it's quite near to walk around.. ehehe.. i went there after school today.

hey bawater, i have a feeling this shop close quite early one. i bought anothe porcelin crab today and 4 more red crab.

my humback shrimp just die this morning, second one already, all other shrimps ok. i don't think i want to try humback shrimps anymore, by the way, Kwang's Humback shrimps are rather big.

Humpback shrimp? You mean camel/hingebeak shrimp (www.liveaquaria.com - check the inverts section) Warning to reefers, these eat corals. Should be fine for your shrimp tank.

Camel/Candy shrimps?

I HATE THEM!!! :lol:

They are a pain in the butt... coral polyp eaters!!!

Very hard to catch, I have 5 of them that took me many months to trap and catch.

No more such shrimps for me! Grrrr!

• SRC Member

how come u call candy shr. camel?

i thought they only go by comet or candy - was thinkin what was a camel?

AT- izzzit, so far never got that far, always had somethin eat them before anythin happens- Bugger!previously a dottyback ate 3 of them & the trigger then ate the dottyback.

thks bluebeard, after doing the PL for FW kinda got the hang of it. But bigger watts still a little scary so i went & got 2 sets of 4xPL 32watts-10k.

so now 8 32watts PL + 2 X 36w FL(shall decomission other 2x FL tubes).+ a set of 6 fans for circulation. Got the stuff 2nd hand from Mphong last weekend from his planted tank.

Dun think i can fit everything on but shall mess about.

Does petmart sell 32w Acitinic PL ? & how much they cost?

chanbi- nope, 2 of them in 4ft- its kinda peaceful now since i thinned out the population. Just a few clowns,a tang,a flame angel,2 damsels,some shrimps- & now a boxfish.

Soon should be setting up a 2ft tnk just for seahorse- if i can find good healthy ones. Empty tank all ready loh!,just waiting for next water change to fill it up.

• SRC Member

Acitinic PL is also 36Watt, i think Petmart do sell them around $55 each.

bawater, hey tell me how's the colour after you buy it ok? i just got a FL 15watt for my bro, the colour quite good, $30 each.

today been going around with my brother to buy actinic light and finally got them at Balestier.

Hi Phang....

Mine r pistols shrimps....wun mind giving them to ya for free....like i sd i got them free from my live rocks too.....

Prob is....how m i gonna catch them out for u?

I hardly get to see them....but often get to hear their snapping sounds once the lights goes off....and can also see their shedded shells...on the sand btm....

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

Hi Bluebeard,

Harlequins are actually very pretty shrimps...

I had 2 previously... lived pretty long and also rather hardy... only one downside... buying starfishes for them do cost on the long run... actually when a starfish cost anything from $3 onwards....

Hi Bluec@rpet,

I actually read from somewhere that you can identify whether mantis or pistol shrimps as in your reef aquarium.... thru the number of "POP" sounds heard... for mantis shrimps.. successful cracks in a roll whereas Pistols go at it one at a time.....

I always hear multiple clicks!!!!!

Hmmm... you got your pistol from LR..... all i ever get are mantis!!!!!

heeheehee... maybe sell me the whole package LR with shrimps..... :lol:

BTW, what's the colour of those shrimps????

• SRC Member
Camel/Candy shrimps?

I HATE THEM!!! :lol:

They are a pain in the butt... coral polyp eaters!!!

Very hard to catch, I have 5 of them that took me many months to trap and catch.

No more such shrimps for me! Grrrr!

Are they also called candy shrimps? I didn't know that :huh:

Anyway the sci name is Rhynchocinetes uritai or similar species. It looks like the atlantic Peppermint shrimps. I had some but died in a tank crash. Lucky for me I found out soon after that they ate corals. Never did buy any more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

bluebeard- when u look for FL- chk keong seong out. her list one of the largest range. 20k FL also have., my 2ft & 4ft tubes all from there-

sealife tubes very ex.

hong- they go by comet/candy shrimps. & also "camel"

pac marine will know comet/candy.

didn't see them eat corals but they did eat my purple sea slugs(all 3 of them). sad :(

MIA a small yellowboxfish(raisin size) for 2 days already & i think its the pistol shrimp- that's my hunch.

• SRC Member
What colour? Bluish? Rosy reddish? That shrimp comes in two color forms. I've never seen a shrimp looking very similar to the harlequin. Can you ID it? Description? color.... patterning.....size......shape

i cannot find the pic on the web leh. if you can send me a site with lots of shrimps pictures maybe i can find.

have pincer like freshwater ghost shrimps

it's legs are purple, body is transparent.

size around humpback shrimps.

why i say it looks similar to harlequin shrimps is because it got white patches which are similar to harlequin shrimps.

i also don't know by from first sight, it looks like harlequin shrimps to me.

by the way, i went to Kwang's on Saturday, they got harlequin shrimps at $15 but now still got stock or not i not sure, saw 4 that day eating starfish!

• SRC Member
bluebeard- when u look for FL- chk keong seong out. her list one of the largest range. 20k FL also have., my 2ft & 4ft tubes all from there-

sealife tubes very ex.

hong- they go by comet/candy shrimps. & also "camel"

pac marine will know comet/candy.

didn't see them eat corals but they did eat my purple sea slugs(all 3 of them). sad :(

MIA a small yellowboxfish(raisin size) for 2 days already & i think its the pistol shrimp- that's my hunch.

hey thanks bawater, i'm looking for 18watt 50/50 but will go find it after my exams.

keong seong very hard to buy tubes leh since they don't display out.

by the way just curious, what's the colour of 20K tubes???