shrimps and crabs

• SRC Member

hey give us a review on this Orca Skimmer ok? it looks good but i dare not buy last time.

i'm very very tempted to convert one of my 2.5feet tank into marine tank too!

ORCA skimmer is the cheapest skimmer ard.. and u need a air pump to let it work.. and me is using it.. cheap and good.. serve it function well..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

hong- use limewood cause u get finer bubbles- the ceramic it comes wif last abt 2mths before it cloggs.

& better to buy a few limewoods in one go cause gotta change quite often.

BB- so wat u using now?

i have 2 old(abt 2ys)orcas but suckers dun stick anymore- $5 if u want?(wif a new limewood)

one is for 2ft height 12", the other is deep enough for 4" height 20".

• SRC Member
BB- so wat u using now?

i have 2 old(abt 2ys)orcas but suckers dun stick anymore- $5 if u want?(wif a new limewood)

one is for 2ft height 12", the other is deep enough for 4" height 20".

hey bawater, thanks for the great offer.

i already got a Sander protein skimmer, the smallest one around i think, $40. i don't have space liao as i am using 3tier top filter.

i get it from you next time if i convert my lower tank to salt water too ok? thanks!

• SRC Member

Hmmm....isnt this supposed to be a "Shrimps and crabs" post? heheheh... :P

Anyways, just like to hitch-hike a question here...anyone know where to get peppermint shrimps? The LFS always mix them up with camel shrimps! Btw, i saw Sea Life at Balestier selling these really CUTE anemone shrimps! Too bad i dont have any anemone in my tank right now... ;)

• SRC Member

hahahaa.. ya lor.. but nevermind la, it's fun to be out of topic, a lot of the others posting also out of topic one la... no need to be so strict around here right?

so far i have never seen any peppermint shrimps before in any LFS.

how much is SeaLife selling those anemone shrimps ah? i bought 2 from Reborn last week, each one die one day after, one of them is because not used to my water i think, the other got attacked by my tag team boxing shrimps!

actually it's quite hard to keep anemone shrimps, hongqixian also tried before. i will not buy them again, very heart pain to see such nice creatures die in my tank.

• SRC Member

Talking about shrimps and crabs.....or (craps)...hee...

Anyone with experience in keeping Pistols and Mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus) .....??

I'm actually looking for a Peacock Mantis....

Was told that you have to order this.....

As for my Pistols, I'm beginning to like them very much... will post pics once I set up a tank for them and some Prawn gobies......

• SRC Member

phang, tiong bahru- there is a seafood(makan) coffeeshop(they put the tables in between an alley). they selling live mantis by 100g(i think $17 per 100g)- huge fist sized things.(blue & greenish colourations)

think would be much cheaper to buy these-

also live octopus from bait shops $2.

gotta keep a look out for other kinds of sources apart from LFS.- heh heh ! everytime go makan seafood chk their tanks........sometimes got bonus.

• SRC Member
Talking about shrimps and crabs.....or (craps)...hee...

Anyone with experience in keeping Pistols and Mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus) .....??

I'm actually looking for a Peacock Mantis....

Was told that you have to order this.....

As for my Pistols, I'm beginning to like them very much... will post pics once I set up a tank for them and some Prawn gobies......

hey phang, what's prawn gobies?

hahaha.. my fren last time keep saying that my tank is full of craps as i used to have a fresh water tank with lots of crabs inside!

• SRC Member
phang, tiong bahru- there is a seafood(makan) coffeeshop(they put the tables in between an alley). they selling live mantis by 100g(i think $17 per 100g)- huge fist sized things.(blue & greenish colourations)

gotta keep a look out for other kinds of sources apart from LFS.- heh heh ! everytime go makan seafood chk their tanks........sometimes got bonus.

Brandon,

The Mantis : Smashers or Spearers????

I'm interested in the Peacock Mantis.... colourful and interesting bugger....

• SRC Member

Brandon, where's this shop...

Can PM me the address???

• SRC Member

i also dunno- went there for a meal,father in law brought me.

its around the first turn in to the tiong bahru market(but there are so many ways of going)- opp a bird holding shed(those they use on sundays to hang birds).

have to go again to catch the road. dun worry if for makan they sure have ample supply+ the food is good & cheap.

• SRC Member
i also dunno- went there for a meal,father in law brought me.

its around the first turn in to the tiong bahru market(but there are so many ways of going)- opp a bird holding shed(those they use on sundays to hang birds).

have to go again to catch the road. dun worry if for makan they sure have ample supply+ the food is good & cheap.

think ur refering to sun hoi shan....

Those mantises sold are for food.

Those are pale green in colour and they are like 25cm long! I think they are spearer types. They look so much like praying mantis! Yucks! Especially their eyes... just one dot in a huge ball!

Actually tried them before... they have no meat on them... dunno how people can try eating them. I rather have regular prawns or crabs.

• SRC Member
how much is SeaLife selling those anemone shrimps ah? i bought 2 from Reborn last week, each one die one day after, one of them is because not used to my water i think, the other got attacked by my tag team boxing shrimps!

Hahah! Looks like yr 'boxers' are causing a hell lot of trouble for yr lifestock! Anyways, the anemone shrimp were selling for just $5!!! I was Sooooooooo tempted to grab a pair! Lucky i didnt, cause they wont have any anemones to live amongst, in my tank... I love the way they sway from left to right (have u seen them do this?), make my heart melt :wub:

Btw, is it possible to order those peppermint shrimps? Anyone knows of a LFS that accepts special orders?

• SRC Member
dunno...just saw them in the tank staring back at me. Looked too handsome to eat leh!

BB- i shall pop by reborn on the way home tonite- look see.(new stock usually come on wed & thu)

dun think kwang got anythin new yet.

bawater, i already went to a few shops last night,

Reborn, got some new stuffs only but more or less same as last week.

Kwang's, nothing new.

Reef World, haven't been there for quite some time, just a but more stock than last time i went.

Marine Life at Hong Leong, 3 boxes of new stock, still unpacking when i was there, heard got a lot of tangs.

later me cycling to Lor Halus!

• SRC Member

Hahah! Looks like yr 'boxers' are causing a hell lot of trouble for yr lifestock! Anyways, the anemone shrimp were selling for just $5!!! I was Sooooooooo tempted to grab a pair! Lucky i didnt, cause they wont have any anemones to live amongst, in my tank... I love the way they sway from left to right (have u seen them do this?), make my heart melt :wub:

Btw, is it possible to order those peppermint shrimps? Anyone knows of a LFS that accepts special orders?

hahaha.. ya lor.. my boxer couple sian one.. from what i see, the baby boxer are hatching soon.. don't think can survive with the fishes and filter and i got no extra tank to hold them.. actually also don't know how to hold them, so far never breed shrimps before even for freshwater.

i have seen my anemone shrimps sway from side to side before... .very very nice.. actually my cleaner shrimps can also sway from side to side.. also very cute.. eheheh

good question about ordering, i was ordering since the fishes and shrimps are caught from the sea one, can order one meh? tot is what we get is what they catch. anyone knows?

• SRC Member

read an article on anemone shrimps.. they are almost impossible to keep in aquarium settings.. sigh.. they are so beautiful...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

kelstorm, why not? Can you tell me where the article is please? I want to read.

BB, try a breeding net for guppies. Might work. Put boxer in when about to spawn and remove later then see what happens.

I last time saw reborn got peacock mantises. And peppermints are from the atlantic.

• SRC Member
kelstorm, why not? Can you tell me where the article is please? I want to read.

BB, try a breeding net for guppies. Might work. Put boxer in when about to spawn and remove later then see what happens.

I last time saw reborn got peacock mantises. And peppermints are from the atlantic.

the baby boxers didn't even got to hatch!

yesterday the mother boxer change shell and leave the eggs with the shell!!! and the others start to eat the eggs... the eggs can already see black dots liao!!! i assume it's the baby boxers' eyes.

just on the same day, the mother boxer got new batch of eyes liao...

i don't know if u guys know or not, the eggs that we usually see below the shrimp's legs are produced inside the body, somewhere near the head, it's green. when it's ready (usually is when they just change shell), it will move the eggs below the legs. the eggs will be there, from green until they become white and clear.

hey thanks for the advise, i have a feeling that why they didn't hatch is because salt not enough or something.