wireless modem

sunny03

• SRC Member

guys recently i just sign up 512 boradband

and op for a wireless modem as i have 2 com

however the technican told me that i might have to get 1 or 2 USB xxxxx dont know what that in order for the router or modem to work and 1 cost around 65++

so i just wondering what is the USB ****** as limited knowledge on com

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

1 or 2 usb xxxxx??

really difficult to make out what's missing.

BUt basically, wireless means having a modem acting as transmitter & usb wireless adapter acting as receiver.

Simple as that.

So u got your wireless modem u need the adapter to receive the signals from the modem. ASk ard @ any computer shops they will be able to shopw u what u needed. :)

• SRC Member

I think it is the usb wireless network adapter. You see, the wireless router will connect to your modem. But your computers need an interface which connects wirelessly to your router.

Normally people get the USB one because they can use it for both desktops or laptops. There is also the PCI version (for PCs) and the PCMCIA version (for laptops). Generally it is best if you can get the same model as the wireless router you have (at least to my experiences)

Hope this helps.

the SCV 512 one?

ah. just get a wireless adapter for your PC/notebook/whatever peripheral you want to hook up.

walk into any computer shop and ask for a wireless adapter for PC...they'd know what you're talking about. (=

it shouldn't be that expensive. I got my 3COM one for around $130 about one year back. (= sure can find cheaper model/make somewhere else. I bought it from...Videopro I think.

• SRC Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think If ur router directly connnect to one of your desktops then u need only one access point for your other computer so that it can access the internet as well.. but if u connect the router individually that means not to any computer, you need two access points. one for each desktop..

If you connect the router to your desktop, the host desktop has to be on for the second dekstp to access the internet...

That is from my knowledge. might be wrong

Live and Let Live

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think If ur router directly connnect to one of your desktops then u need only one access point for your other computer so that it can access the internet as well.. but if u connect the router individually that means not to any computer, you need two access points. one for each desktop..

If you connect the router to your desktop, the host desktop has to be on for the second dekstp to access the internet...

That is from my knowledge. might be wrong

Think you got it mied up.

1) Modem/ router is connected to the ISP

2) Router is connected to the Access point(Tx)

For the 2 desktop PCs to share the same internet access, you will need a USB adapter for each PC or the Wireless PCI for each. This is to enable the client (your desktop PCs) to connect to the Access Point.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

???

still dont understand

anyway it found out from my friend it a kind of reciever.

Like infar from phone

just wonder how much it cost as singnet told me it cost around 65++ for a pcs

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
???

still dont understand

anyway it found out from my friend it a kind of reciever.

Like infar from phone

just wonder how much it cost as singnet told me it cost around 65++ for a pcs

That is bloody expensive.

Get someone who are knowledgable about wireless system.

It is very cheap to set up if you know how to do it, yourself.

If you are setting up 1 PC to be wireless, the cost about $180 per set,

without modem. This include acess point and wireles net work card.

Additional PC, cost about $100 each for wireless network adaptor.

My home is set under wireless system.

I have fixed working desktop and mobile notebook where i can surf anywhere at home.

I leave my modem and acess point 24hours and allow public to log into my wi-fi to surf for free. :D

Don get ketok by them. Just get the modem and get the wireless system yourself.

It is very very cheap now.

Rgds

• SRC Member

ok guess

when they come to install that time maybe tell them that i dont need the the USB reciever

as the installation is free so i just get the modem only

• SRC Member

:o Not really advisable my friend. U dun wan ur pc to be a tools to hackers, do u? B)

I tought access point is always on all the time ?

Even at the cafe, we can log in anytime we want wirelessly for free.

But I do agree with you of possible hacker.

Anyway S'pore is rather safe from hacker. :D

ok guess

when they come to install that time maybe tell them that i dont need the the USB reciever

as the installation is free so i just get the modem only

I highly doubt it's infared. more like wireless adapter.

if you ask me, $65 for a wireless adapter is okay what. either that, or I got chopped for my 3COM one. :(

ask the people installing your service for you, how is the information going to be shared with your computer. is it via a cable? or a wireless adapter.

ask also if they are installing a router for you. if yes, then it's very easy from then on. (=

and PS. go read up a bit on wireless terminology. I tell you if the thing crash, and the customer service starts spitting out wireless jargon, you'll go crazy. :P