Low KH from saltmix

surfedelic

• SRC Member

Did some major clean up .... so changes about 30 - 40 % of the water.

I just switch to Coralife from instant ocean becasue instant ocean run out of stock.

i noticed that the KH from Coralife is only about 5 KH ..... no wonder my dkh keeps dropping when doing water changes .... I don't expect to have high dKH but 5 is pretty low to me.

Has anybody measure the KH from other saltmix before ?

• SRC Member
Did some major clean up .... so changes about 30 - 40 % of the water.

I just switch to Coralife from instant ocean becasue instant ocean run out of stock.

i noticed that the KH from Coralife is only about 5 KH ..... no wonder my dkh keeps dropping when doing water changes .... I don't expect to have high dKH but 5 is pretty low to me.

Has anybody measure the KH from other saltmix before ?

Low oxygen exchange and powerful skimming can bring down your KH too.

Eric

• SRC Member

Change salt mix? Try the new TM reef pro. :lol:

Or buff up the salt mix before adding to your tank, to reduce stress.

How do you mix the salt? salt to water or water to salt???

Using RO/DI water? or treated tap water?

Got use a pump to mix the salt and let it alterate for ~ 2hr?

:off: here

For me:

(1) Allow tap water to stand in pail over nite

(I do not treat my water w/ anti-chlorine)

(2) I add salt to water ==> check salinity 1.024-1.025

(3) alterate for ~2hr w/ pump and air noozle

(4) proceed w/ water change!

my 2 cents

• SRC Member
Change salt mix? Try the new TM reef pro. :lol:

Or buff up the salt mix before adding to your tank, to reduce stress.

How do you mix the salt? salt to water or water to salt???

Using RO/DI water? or treated tap water?

Got use a pump to mix the salt and let it alterate for ~ 2hr?

:off: here

For me:

(1) Allow tap water to stand in pail over nite

(I do not treat my water w/ anti-chlorine)

(2) I add salt to water ==> check salinity 1.024-1.025

(3) alterate for ~2hr w/ pump and air noozle

(4) proceed w/ water change!

my 2 cents

TM reef pro got good kh+calcium but rather low magnesium...

• SRC Member
TM reef pro got good kh+calcium but rather low magnesium...

Er... TM reef pro is suppose to be higher in Mg as compared to the normal TM salt mix ;)

Quote from their webby: "This new sea salt, Tropic Marin PRO-REEF is adjusted to the specific requirements of modern reef tanks: optimized calcium and magnesium concentrations promote coral growth and ease the care of even very sensitive hard corals. "

Tropic Marin

• SRC Member

I use Coralife and had measured the KH and it is in the region of 8-10 dkh (test done long ago and can't remember the exact fig).

Read from Tanzy's post that if you add water into salt, the dkh will drop. The correct method is water 1st, then salt. ;)

• SRC Member

I use Coralife and had measured the KH and it is in the region of 8-10 dkh (test done long ago and can't remember the exact fig).

Read from Tanzy's post that if you add water into salt, the dkh will drop. The correct method is water 1st, then salt. ;)

Yup, something to do with precipitation.... ;) Not to clear myself :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I am using RO/DI water...

I had only added water to salt mix once ... the following water changes was done adding salt to water...... and this is only about 20 litres of water ... will take note of that the next time ..

The cal level was 490 ppm initially ph was normal 8.1 - 8.3 .. the mag level was 1300 .. then I managed to bring it down cal to 420 ppm (8 dkh) with KH additive.. .

but the next day it will fall again... the Cal reactor output was more than 10 dkh ...

now trying to add via Kalk .... and increase bubble count to 1 bps.. I think the last resort is to change salt mix ..... in fact just bought this bucket of coralife ...sigh ...

• SRC Member
The cal level was 490 ppm initially ph was normal 8.1 - 8.3 .. the mag level was 1300 .. then I managed to bring it down cal to 420 ppm (8 dkh) with KH additive.. .

but the next day it will fall again... the Cal reactor output was more than 10 dkh ...

If I'm not mistaken yr CR needs tuning.

Effluent KH is very high.. ~ 35dKh - 50dKh+

It has to meet the alkalinity depletion rate for your system ;)

Do a search on "tuning a Calcium reactor"

• SRC Member

Er... TM reef pro is suppose to be higher in Mg as compared to the normal TM salt mix ;)

Quote from their webby: "This new sea salt, Tropic Marin PRO-REEF is adjusted to the specific requirements of modern reef tanks: optimized calcium and magnesium concentrations promote coral growth and ease the care of even very sensitive hard corals. "

Tropic Marin

I commented on it because I tested my newly prepared saltwater using TM pro using Salifert.. 1050ppm only...

• SRC Member

If I'm not mistaken yr CR needs tuning.

Effluent KH is very high.. ~ 35dKh - 50dKh+

It has to meet the alkalinity depletion rate for your system ;)

Do a search on "tuning a Calcium reactor"

The effluent is only at 12 dkh ... if the output is high in KH .. the tank cal. level should drop but mime is 490 - doesn't sound like alot of KH to me. Monitoring closely to see the depletion rate.

something weird for me... my effluent from cr seems to have low dkH, somewhere in the region of 7-8 only.

IMHO, if not using a solenoid valve, CR shld constantly read conservatively ard....... 30++ dkH. Ca at abt 450ppm.

note: very general guideline. diff system, diff readings. for me, i used to get 42 dkH at ard 480ppm Ca.

:peace: my 2 cents only.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
bro, 12dkH is way too low from ur CR. what is ur effluent Ca reading now?

Yah ... looks like the effluent KH is pretty low. My drip rate is pretty fast - it is about 4 bps. I will try increasing the CO2 and see how it goes or lower the effluent bps.

Cheers

• SRC Member

IMHO, if not using a solenoid valve, CR shld constantly read conservatively ard....... 30++ dkH. Ca at abt 450ppm.

note: very general guideline. diff system, diff readings. for me, i used to get 42 dkH at ard 480ppm Ca.

:peace: my 2 cents only.

I think it got to do with the volume of the CR if I am not wrong. Just change my CR cause the one I DIY was having a slight leak. The new one I bought off the shelve doesn't seems to be performing well.. Used to maintain the KH and Cal with no problem with my DIY. The new one I bought quite a cheapo one used only 1/5 of the media from my DIY (10Kg) ...... thanks LS for the cal and KH info ... will see if I could push it up further ....

untouchables,

I having the same Cr brand as you. :) Not sure if you experience cloudiness when push KH higher ?

rdgs

Yah ... looks like the effluent KH is pretty low. My drip rate is pretty fast - it is about 4 bps. I will try increasing the CO2 and see how it goes or lower the effluent bps.

Cheers

now oredi 4bps??? :huh: MHO, wld be to lower the drip rate. for now, maybe 1 drip/sec will do. as for CO2, 4bps is a little 2 fast for me. check for excess CO2 trapped in the CR. maybe can try reduce to ard 1b/2sec to start wif 2. ;) but as i say, diff setup, diff results. this juz serve as a general guide, observe the readings over the next few days with reliable dkH and Ca testkits. then slowly fine tune from there. :peace:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Cheers

Erm... drip rate is 4bps?? ;)

Careful not to increase the CO2 too much as will lead to lower effluent PH and lower yr tank PH <_<

A rough guide is 1-2 drops/ sec , and CO2 1b/ 4-6 sec

=========> a rough guide line adjust to meet yr tank's depletion rate