New Tank

Hi all,

New to this forum and marine fish keeping... Just set up my 2ft tank yesterday. Started conservative and cheap, just wanna test water and c if i can handle marine tank before I invest in better equipment. Use normal hangon filter, cheap $8 skimmer. Got a sand bed tht's about 10-15cm thick. put in about 6kg of live rock and a market prawn is now cycling in the tank. Mayb experts can give some comments.

I think I didn't clean the live rock enough, can find few worms, snails and unidentify organisms swimming out of the rock liao... The rock is giving out slime also. Is these harmful to the tank?...

I am also curious is it really necessary to fill the tank almost to the brim?

Thankz for taking time to enlight me...

Hi all,

New to this forum and marine fish keeping... Just set up my 2ft tank yesterday. Started conservative and cheap, just wanna test water and c if i can handle marine tank before I invest in better equipment. Use normal hangon filter, cheap $8 skimmer. Got a sand bed tht's about 10-15cm thick. put in about 6kg of live rock and a market prawn is now cycling in the tank. Mayb experts can give some comments.

I think I didn't clean the live rock enough, can find few worms, snails and unidentify organisms swimming out of the rock liao... The rock is giving out slime also. Is these harmful to the tank?...

I am also curious is it really necessary to fill the tank almost to the brim?

Thankz for taking time to enlight me...

#1 - You have to filled the water to the level you will want when your fishes are introduced.

#2 - As you already know you are supposed to cycle the tank and that's waht you are doing now. During cycling you will experience some form of algae bloom due to the amonia and nitrate spike. Thus what you observed as slime could be micro-algae.

#3 - It is normal to have hitch-hiking critters, just have to look out for crabs and mantis as they will pose some danger to you livestocks in the future. Worms and snails are generally alright. Unless they are fireworms, corals eating worms or box snails. For more information of these parasites, you may surf the net for visuals.

#4 - 15cm is about 6" which is termed as Deep Sand Bed (DSB), its been proven to be effective is controlling nitrate. But will take time for it to be fullyeffective.

#5 - 15cm of DSB on you main tank, also means that you will only have a small area in your 2ft tank catering to your livestocks. Most of us prefer to have DSB in our sump and keep the sand bed in the main tank not more than 1.5". Also DSB are unsightly once it matures.

#6 - You may use a $8 skimmer, but a $8 skimmer will only allow you to keep hardy fishes such as damsels and even that your bio-load has to be low i.e. not more than 5 damsels with minimal feeding.

#7 - Skimmer is the most important equipment determinng your sucess or failure, thus the only way to start humbly without sacrificing quality is to get second hand skimmers. Check out our Sell off / Pasar malam forum, there are always bargain you will appreciate.

I am no expert but I hope that answer your queries. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Dun worries so much about the lights as it is always better to cycle in the dark. Not much algae bloom.

Let it cycle without adding any livestocks for two weeks and at the meantime try to fish out whatever crab you can see.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

bro...

IMO, i think you are starting marine in the wrong direction.

marine reefing is not like freshwater. its not about buying some cheapo equipment and then some guppies to see if it works. there is no short cuts in marine, if you take a short cut now, it will only come back and haunt you later. this will only frustrate you and cause you to give up this beautiful hobby.

its best that you invest in better equipments. better does not usually = expensive. for starters, get a weipro skimmer, couple of reefers selling in pasar malam forum.

also, a hang on filter isn't going to be good enough, try to get a cannister filter. also, look out for it in the pasar malam forum.

just my 2 cents worth.

bro...

IMO, i think you are starting marine in the wrong direction.

marine reefing is not like freshwater. its not about buying some cheapo equipment and then some guppies to see if it works. there is no short cuts in marine, if you take a short cut now, it will only come back and haunt you later. this will only frustrate you and cause you to give up this beautiful hobby.

its best that you invest in better equipments. better does not usually = expensive. for starters, get a weipro skimmer, couple of reefers selling in pasar malam forum.

also, a hang on filter isn't going to be good enough, try to get a cannister filter. also, look out for it in the pasar malam forum.

just my 2 cents worth.

Wat's the difference with skimmer and filter?... Wat if I run my tank without filter since skimmer seems to remove more dirt than filter....

Also can I lower my water level by another 5-8cm? Does water level make ani differences. Sorri... sme of my qns seems stupid... Do pardon me...

Water is always very important. Cuz it carries oxygen and also it dilute the ammonia produce by the livestocks.

Filter traps larger particles while skimmers traps DOM or DOW (Dissolve Organic Materials or Dissolve Organic Waste).

I understand your reasoning of trying to start humble and all the stories that you might have heard from some LFS (Local Fish Shop) about their filters will work.

But the truth you will never be able to run away from is that as you progresses with the hobby, you will be always asking question why your have more die-off as compared to others.

For me, I have seen succesful tank with just undergravel filters. The key is, if you own a less effective waste export system, be prepared to keep the waste low too.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Hi, anione care to comment on the t5 light by rainbow? there's a total of 4x t5 tube 2 white n 2 blue, with two switch. think it's a new product selling 4 $70...

Check out the barnd and voltage loh. As a general rules a 3ft T5 should be 39w and not any lower. Also the brand of the T5s is important to, if no brand one - no point trying.

One of the most popular T5 brand is ATI, they are good but a little pricey.

Another brand that is cost effective and yet perform marginally well is the Aquaz distributed by our sponsor Aquaz.

:D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Check out the barnd and voltage loh. As a general rules a 3ft T5 should be 39w and not any lower. Also the brand of the T5s is important to, if no brand one - no point trying.

Another brand that is cost effective and yet perform marginally well is the Aquaz distributed by our sponsor Aquaz.

Perform marginally well means 51%? hahhaha

ATI is one of the best T5s around....you might want to consider using Arcadia casing with ATI tubes.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

You were saying for a 3ft, the volt shd nt b lower than 39. What about for a 2ft?

Also on auquamarin, they are selling T5 light set with High output with double switch control complete with

2 nos super white 13,000K T5 tube

1 no Actinic blue 20,000K T5 tube

and super reflector

What is 13,000k? is nos the brand of the t5light?

2ft should not be less than 24W

13000k is the PAR, the high the PAR the blue-er the light. Most people with use a mixture of 6500k, 14000k to 20000k to get the "perfect lighting" to draw out the colours of their corals. The lower the PAR the yellow-er the light becomes.

But so far this is the first I see 13000k being used.

Anyway, if you referring to the Aquamarin T5s, I believe its a good buy. Just that due to the fact it is new - not mush is known about it. :D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Btw, I think the last we spoke, your were supposed to look for a better skimmer and filtration system as piriority right?

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
2ft should not be less than 24W

13000k is the PAR, the high the PAR the blue-er the light. Most people with use a mixture of 6500k, 14000k to 20000k to get the "perfect lighting" to draw out the colours of their corals. The lower the PAR the yellow-er the light becomes.

But so far this is the first I see 13000k being used.

Anyway, if you referring to the Aquamarin T5s, I believe its a good buy. Just that due to the fact it is new - not mush is known about it. :D

even if the tubes are not up to expectation, the casing,stand and all else that comes with it for that price is reasonable liao.

tsutsumi : i'd suggest that you look out for someone selling a cannister and also at least a weipro 2012, if you are into FOWLRs, then FL or PL lightings are fine.

;)

as a start what are the good choice of fishes to reel in my 2ft tank?... Surfed liveaquaria.com and shortlisted a few. Mayb old birds like to comment...

- Yellowtail Damselfish x1

- Ocellaris Clownfish x2

- Bicolor Pseudochromis x1

- Neon Gold Goby x1

- Cleaner Shrimp x1

my tank is still cyclin... ammonia level is currently at 4-5mg/l...

Btw, I think the last we spoke, your were supposed to look for a better skimmer and filtration system as piriority right?

Currently lookin 4 light, ls so as to complete my basic aquarium setup...

Will be lookin into cannister filter and beckette skimmer to maintain my tank in the long run when money are saved... ;>

• SRC Member

don't think you need to be too concern with lights are this stage.....while there might be good deals going on now, buying lights now will be a waste of money until you go into corals....i'm using ikea S$12 clip on lights for my small Fish only nano and it works fine, if i ever change my lights, i can still use the ikea lights for my store room.... in the begining 3~4 months stick to finding out simple (and cheap things) that works for the basic setup....ignore calls to buy better and more expensive stuff until you know what you are doing....imagine spending tons of money on T5 now and later realise you not going to keep corals at all....

this is a hobby that potential demand a lot of $$$, so until you are familiar don't bother buying the good expensive stuff....

Will be lookin into cannister filter and beckette skimmer to maintain my tank in the long run when money are saved... ;>

Bro, you dun need a backett for a 2ft. Actaully what you can do is look out for a Aqua C Remora in the sell off / pasar malam forum. if it is selling below 250 with pump - grab it.

:yeah:

Another good hang-on skimmer is the Aquamedic bio-flotor recently I just got want from a bro here to be given to an organization.

:)

Worse comes to worse get a weipro 2012 or a prizm, they are definitely afforable. :)

Run the tank with this basic set-up first and slowly save up for the lights. Anyway, with the entry of more afforable lights - prices will naturally comes down. But I assure you - a good skimmer will always have demands (especially for the first 2). ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

i think that more effort is needed to run a 2 footer then a 4 footer.. small amount of water = big problem when something goes wrong.. :o

like what every1 suggested, get a weipro 2012.. very cheap only.. then a cannister.. then after a while when you're comfy with it and u think u can go further, either upgrade to a bigger tank or ad in an overflow box and a sump.. have more equiptments, remove the DSB from your main tank and transfer it to the sump, have a 250W MH and start to keep SPS... :evil:

actually it'll be easier just to upgrade.. unless you're short of space la that is.. :D

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

I also think might as well use that amount money intended for the light onto a better skimmer and filter insteads.

Me too same same as u, budget very very tight type, which all bros here know very well. My light is kept to the last item on the list. In fact until now, I'm still saving for the light.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

I see the picture of your tank, but you seem not using undergravel filtration, are you try the deep sand bed way to help doing the filtration? With the setup like this, I would strongly advise undergravel, though you need to prepare for maintanence problem, clogging of the system sooner or later, it is an effective filtration method I ever seen.

Light is not your main concern if you go for FOT, I suppose you won' t keep reef, right?

The fishes you listed are all good for starter, I would like to have goby or cleaner shrimp as the first tankmate, this would add to the least problem of introducing new fish later, the key is to add less aggressive fish first. Be careful not to add to big or too fast to the tank.