Does activated carbon cause a raise in Phosphate ?

• SRC Member
most activated carbon for aquarium use contains PO4. a reading of 0.1 ppm of phosphate is already quite bad for reef tanks. try using phosphate removing media.

Yep all carbob media would leech PO4, also try to change the carbon media often....

The reason why ALL carbon media will more or less leech PO4 is the manufacturing process.

So dun me fooled when some brand claimed that their doesn't leeched, unless it is a totally new technology?!? ;);)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

do we really feel that it is necessary to use carbon? Why put something in that will leech PO4 and end up have to buy more rowaphos?

coz carbon removes most toxic compounds and heavy metals in water. giving ur water a crystal clear look by removing the yellowish tinge in water.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I heard about chemical warfare and the use of GAC to remove these toxin. However, I have been running the tank for the last 9 months without them. The LPS and softies seems to be fine.

So I'm just wondering are we putting someone unnecessary into the tank, which in the end, only the LFS benefits.

Also, heard someone mentioned that GAC may cause some disease in the tangs.... is this true?

• SRC Member
You could give rowacarbon a shot.. leach the least PO4 for my case. At least undetectable by my PO4 meter.

So far tested a few other "low cost alternatives" and all leach detectable PO4.

Wah .. WL ... you have a meter for the PO4 - manual or mechanical :blink:

• SRC Member
Wow...phospate free carbon? :)

This is fantastic. May be I will change my mind about carbon. But I really didn't see any difference in using them. Since I don't mix LPS and SPS.

Don't know how good is it, trying out soon.

• SRC Member
The reason why ALL carbon media will more or less leech PO4 is the manufacturing process.

So dun me fooled when some brand claimed that their doesn't leeched, unless it is a totally new technology?!? ;);)

Yep it is how Carbon is made and different material used .. That why most carbon leech PO4...

So you need to weight the difference between the pricing for the product, quantity given and amount of PO4 leeching.

Organic Carbon like coconut material is known to leech alot of PO4.

Hope this helps.

Ming