what is this kalk about?

• SRC Member

kalk is lime water. Remember the little experiment that blow your air into a container mixture and it turns cloudy? Chemical name for it is called the calcium hydroxide.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

i purchase the seachem reef advantage calcium over the kalk coz i find it hard to diy myself. this product comes with mag and strontium.. i can save more over the 2 item.

but to maintain the level, we have to use kalk also. hmm. its hard for me to maintain it, sometimes more cal, my kh will drop.

anyone have any idea how to overcome this?

• SRC Member

Get seachem reed builder to maintain the KH alternate with cal advantage,

and you you don't need kalk.

kalk can help save cost and get rid of phosphate (with use of good skimmer).

but it will also cause high ph swing if dose too much

my two cents

I am sadden by the kind of advises given by some reefers here - post for the sake of posting without any proper knowledge.

I am no expert thus here is the link - Calcium Supplementation

Maybe some seniors could help correct the misinformation here.... :(

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
i purchase the seachem reef advantage calcium over the kalk coz i find it hard to diy myself. this product comes with mag and strontium.. i can save more over the 2 item.

but to maintain the level, we have to use kalk also. hmm. its hard for me to maintain it, sometimes more cal, my kh will drop.

anyone have any idea how to overcome this?

Kalk handles both KH and Ca.....boosting them up in a balance manner....reef advangtage only boost up CA and will not add to KH....if you don't supply additional KH, you might have a imbalance.....so do be careful.

Also a simple rule for dosing additives.....make sure you measure the various parameters !

:lol::lol::lol:

didn;t know kalk can get rid of phosphate?

then i dun need to nuy rowaphos liaoz.

Kalk remove Phosphates by Percipitating it. When Kalk is dripped into the tank water it causes the phophates to percipitate and thus effectively removed by the skimmer.

However, it is always good to have Rowa. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
I am sadden by the kind of advises given by some reefers here - post for the sake of posting without any proper knowledge.

I am no expert thus here is the link - Calcium Supplementation

Maybe some seniors could help correct the misinformation here.... :(

:off:

Are you sadden by the advise I gave ? :unsure:

I am willing to learn that if there is somthing that I belive contradict the conventional knowledge...

:off:

Are you sadden by the advise I gave ? :unsure:

I am willing to learn that if there is somthing that I belive contradict the conventional knowledge...

No offense bro, but I think the article already cleared our doubts. ;)

Sorry if I sounded as if I am targetting you only. :bow::bow::bow:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Just that, I think we should embrace different methods and ways, learn the pros and cons and discuss it here, and to share the experience... there is no "the best or worse way"

I don't know about others, when I first started off too much information at the same time can be very confusing, and a direct answer help to clear things up and give grace period for learning later .... ;)

No offense taken :) cool !

Just that, I think we should embrace different methods and ways, learn the pros and cons and discuss it here, and to share the experience... there is no "the best or worse way"

I don't know about others, when I first started off too much information at the same time can be very confusing, and a direct answer help to clear things up and give grace period for learning later ....  ;)

No offense taken :) cool !

I understand where you coming from. But when we give advises we should try to look at all aspect rather than just one. You recomended SeaChem Reef Advantage and Reef builder and you says its is better than Kalk. But in what ways? :ooh:

Do you know there are SPS bros here with Calcium Reactor still doses Kalk? And are you aware that adding Reef Builder and Reef Advantage is 1st expensive and also require constant monitoring of the Salinity? :(

By posting the article, I am not slamming any methods. In fact, that article was written on ALL Calcium Supplementing methods and as you can see in the graph, its tells you the characteristics of the different supplementation methods. ;)

I myself am using Kalk to replace evaporation and at the same time dosing TM Triple Buffers and Reefez Calcium Up whenever the reading are down. :D

Thus, you can see, I am not bias over Kalk. Thus, lets present all options to those that asked for advise and leave it to them to decide. ;)

I am cool with you too bro.... :peace:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

I understand where you coming from. But when we give advises we should try to look at all aspect rather than just one. You recomended SeaChem Reef Advantage and Reef builder and you says its is better than Kalk. But in what ways? :ooh:

Do you know there are SPS bros here with Calcium Reactor still doses Kalk? And are you aware that adding Reef Builder and Reef Advantage is 1st expensive and also require constant monitoring of the Salinity? :(

By posting the article, I am not slamming any methods. In fact, that article was written on ALL Calcium Supplementing methods and as you can see in the graph, its tells you the characteristics of the different supplementation methods. ;)

I myself am using Kalk to replace evaporation and at the same time dosing TM Triple Buffers and Reefez Calcium Up whenever the reading are down. :D

Thus, you can see, I am not bias over Kalk. Thus, lets present all options to those that asked for advise and leave it to them to decide. ;)

I am cool with you too bro.... :peace:

no Lar, I where got say using calcium and reef builder is better than kalk...

They all has its use...I am using all three for dosing myself ...

but considering cannondale already bought the cal advantage, in order not to waste it, the reef builder can use to help balance the KH mah.... ...

furthermore Kalk has more risk for beginner when overdose causing PH swing too much... :);)

Kalk handles both KH and Ca.....boosting them up in a balance manner....reef advangtage only boost up CA and will not add to KH....if you don't supply additional KH, you might have a imbalance.....so do be careful.

Also a simple rule for dosing additives.....make sure you measure the various parameters !

i have the Sera Kh plus as well. i can maintain the Kh at 9 but my cal around 300 only. 15 drop

now almost everyday i am adding the cal. now even my sera cal tester bottle 3 had finish!

guys,

let say if i maintain cal at 300, will my coral die? :thanks:

so if i use Kalk that means i dont need to use any other cal or Kh + izzit?

Cheers. :peace:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

i have the Sera Kh plus as well. i can maintain the Kh at 9 but my cal around 300 only. 15 drop

now almost everyday i am adding the cal. now even my sera cal tester bottle 3 had finish!

guys,

let say if i maintain cal at 300, will my coral die? :thanks:

so if i use Kalk that means i dont need to use any other cal or Kh + izzit?

That's the problem with wrong dosage. In simple words, Ca & Kh has to be belanced. If you add KH plus too much and too fast, your Ca will drop and Vice Versa!

Thus if you intend to dose any form of Ca or Kh+, you have to ensure that you dose slowly according to the instructions on the labels and not dose when you feel like it. Wrong dosage will also cuz ionic imbalance and this could be detrimental to your tank - heard of tank crash.

I suggest you reading and fully understand how to best to maintain Ca & Kh before you cause anymore unnecessary stress to your inhabitants.

If you need, get some senior to personally help you. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

PM me if you think I can help.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Ladies & Gentlemen, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also read that low Mg can cause Ca levels to drop.

cannondale mentioned that he is unable to maintain Ca levels.

I think it might be useful if he can test his Mg levels too.

Any comments?

Definately correct ! if the water is too Low in Mag ,

no matter how much cal you dose, the cal level will not go up.

Ladies & Gentlemen, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I also read that low Mg can cause Ca levels to drop.

cannondale mentioned that he is unable to maintain Ca levels.

I think it might be useful if he can test his Mg levels too.

Any comments?

guys,

that's why i go for Seachem reef advantage calcium. coz inside got Magesium and strontium ( all in one ). i know we have maintain mag in order to get cal.

i previous using the sperate cal and mag, but i found out that the mag tester are damn expensive. in-order to do it correct way, i got for S.reef adv cal.

ok, here are what someone told me , but i am not sure weather i believe or not.

here is the story, my friend suspect that my coral has been lack of calcium for some time, so whenever i added the cal, it will consume as much as it can but when it's full , then i can get the 400 mark cal in my tank. is that true?? :thanks:

• SRC Member

that is the first time I heard that.. its sounds kind of funny to me( for all I know it could be true...who really knows except the coral themselves), no offense... :) But never heard arguement from this point before

the reason Coral take calcium is to grow... so is your coral growing rapidly ?

True that Cal Advantage contains come mag,.. but it don't raise the mag level, at most it can prevent the mag from falling too fast... ...

If really you still have difficulty maintaing the cal level, instead of adding mag, try do a 20% minimum water change with decent salt, then start adjust your doing from there (cheaper than dosing mag)

my humble and personal opinion :)

• SRC Member

Forgot to answer your questions,

No , I don't think you coral will die, probably not happy but will not die at least not bcause of the calcium....

once I measured by cal at 240 because of mag depleted and took me a week to adjust it back , but no casualties... so don't panic and adjust slowly.

Kalk can maintain both KH and Cal at the same time which is the primary use of the cal advantage and reef buffer.

read up articles gouldian posted earlier , it contains all the KH Cal chemistry info you will need to know.