Clicking noises

Hi all,

there are clicking noises from my tank, most of the time at night. Wonder what's the reason behind it. Anyone can advise?

There is 2 scenario:

1) Mantis Shrimp - Jiak Lat liao, they will slowly kill and consume all your hictck-hiker crabs and move on to your hermits than to your shrimps and finally wehn all crustacean is gone, it will go for your fishes! A terrible pest to have in the tank!

2) Pistol Shrimp - Not so bad, they are generally shy and are almost blind. Introduce a shrimp goby and you will find that both will be partner in life. Goby to provide the gift of sight and PS to provide the gifts of shelter and pods with ots continous digging activity. They only draw back is that they can sometimes cuz a rock-slide with their digging!

The way to identify them is to visual. Mantis lokks like the Praying Mantis while the Pistol Shrimp looks like a miniature lobster with one pincer bigger than the other.

Some literatures reccomened differiating the MS with the PS by its clicking sounds. I have tried it and found them not reliable - trust me cuz I have 3 PS and 1 MS in my tank!

Another consolation that I have recently read in Reef Central regarding MS is that most hitch hiking mantis belong to the smashers family ie they hunt by smashing their prey up. these mantis are usually shy and will run for cover if there is any sudden movement!

Unlike their pearcing coursin that hunt by pearcing their rey to death! These are more aggressive but commonly found buried in substrate thus unlikely to hitch hike on LRs. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
:sick: so what if i've got the mantis shrimp or the pistol shrimp?? then how?? :cry:

yep, i've got a snail in the tank.... why do you say its the snail leh? hmm...

the tank in my room lahz, so can hear the sounds quite clearly.

Hi Bro,

I said snail becos I personally saw it and heard from my snail. It will sometime shaking it's cone and make this noise; dono whether is it spawning as now I got one small snail extra. :) Now no more noise liao!!! After give birth!!!! :D

Initially I tot the noise was from my pump :D

• SRC Member

hmm.. will try to observe lahz, its like quite irritating. everytime i hear it, i chiong to the tank, to wait.... to wait.. to wait... then i hear it, but i see nothing. haha

then i wait, then i wait... then i hear it, but can'tlocate where in the tank it comes from, and see nothing again... sigh...

how ah?

• SRC Member
hmm.. will try to observe lahz, its like quite irritating. everytime i hear it, i chiong to the tank, to wait.... to wait.. to wait... then i hear it, but i see nothing. haha

then i wait, then i wait... then i hear it, but can'tlocate where in the tank it comes from, and see nothing again... sigh...

how ah?

I also accidentally notice that!! :P Then evertime I heard the noice I go and observe my snail and he is doing the Shaking again!!! B)

Be patience!!! :D

• SRC Member

but, how come so weird one ah? snail shake will make "clicking" noise lehz?

hmm.. i've seen it shake lahz, like when the cleaner shrimp go and ka chiao it too much. haha. but no sound....

hmm... shall off the light and observe... haha.... tonight!

• SRC Member

swear i hear these noises as well...

worse still i thought the blardy glass giving way...

damn scary, will be keeping updates to see if

its really M.S.P ( mantis OR Snail OR Pistol shrimp ) ~!~!

hehehe new acronym... wahahhaha

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

ya scared me too thought my glass cracking or breaking lol

Just a little caution, mantis uses their pincer to smash on the rocks to craete space or smash on to its prey to kill them. And according to the experts, the smashing force is greater than a .38 caliber bullet! So guess what will happened if they smash on your glass?????? :blink:

But seriously as mentioned earlier most hitch hikers mantis are pretty shy wan.

For me I admit I have a black mantis in my tank, it is about 2.5cm long. I have witness it countless times but could not rid it even I have tear down my tank 2 times when I encountered ich.

None of my livestocks were hurt within the 5mths with the mantis, just lots of dead hitch hikers crab. Even my ###### shrimps and yellow arrow shrimps are spared.

Maybe the mantis just likes the taste of hitch hikers crab and is a 'finicky' eater! :lol:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

Mantis shrimps do really have a strong smashing force. But only relatively bigger ones can break glass with their pincers lah. :D

Sorry bro, even the small ones have that kind of force! It was filmed before and shown on Discovery.

Even Pistol Shrimp's power was enough to kill a skunk shrimp just by snapping its pincer! - Also shown before in Discovery. ;)

Not to talk about the countless literature written on them.

By the way, the bigger Mantis are usually 'piercer' - they don't smash..... :D

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

the proof for all who doubt the power of a mantis shrimp.

The Mirror: Mantis Shrimp breaks 1/4 in thick tank in UK!

Editors Note: This page will soon be included in a new section called "Mantis Sightings" , which will contain references to articles in the mainstream media dealing with mantis shrimps.

Thanks to Ray Girvan for finding this article in the British newspaper, The Daily Mirror. He notes that "Tyson" is what British "rednecks" name their dogs, either because the dog is fierce or - more usually - the owner wants people to think it is.

BULLET SHRIMP

Tyson smashes tank

A four-inch shrimp* has been named Tyson by aquarium staff - after he punched a hole in his thick glass tank. The green mantis shrimp is known for its powerful claws, which it uses to smash open crab shells with the force of a rifle bullet.

But staff were amazed when Tyson hammered a hole in the quarter-inch glass. He has now been moved to a tougher tank at the Sea Life Centre in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Manager Toby Briant said: "When we took him out he was clawing and snapping. Nobody dared touch him."He added: "All our visitors assume our sharks are man-eating killers, but they are pussycats compared to Tyson. His power is incredible."

(image of shrimp): FIERCE: Four-inch Tyson stares menacingly at visitors from his new - and thicker - tank yesterday.

(image of cracked tank): HOLE: The damage to Tyson's tank.

- THE MIRROR, Friday April 10, 1998, page 11

* approximately 9 cm in length.

Great work bro! I couldn't have done it better!

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

HELP :o:o ..the noise is very irritating....

my glass tank is 15mm thick but still got this "clicking" noise

my wife saw a 1 inch mantis.

but so far no dead fish but... lots of dead snails

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
Sorry bro, even the small ones have that kind of force! It was filmed before and shown on Discovery.

Even Pistol Shrimp's power was enough to kill a skunk shrimp just by snapping its pincer! - Also shown before in Discovery. ;)

I saw that too!!.. It's not the physical blow from the pincers but some sonic boom effect that causes the sound and the eventual stunning effect...

• SRC Member

i saw a 2inch mantis shrimp.

the tail seems to look like a eye.

now i believe its hidding in one of the 3 rocks that i flush out.

how to get rid of it ..alive or dead?

can i introduce the rocks into the tank again..as i believe the rock will be "dead"

as i wash it with fresh water..

comtemplating of using hot water as well

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.