Sump Design

euphoria

Hi guys,

I am planning to build a sump + refugium for my 3 ft setup. I remember not too long ago, someone posted a sump for sale, and he also put up a drawing with the full dimensions ( he said that is it the same design as ML Henry's). I think the post is gone liao due to the breakdown of the site a while back.

Can the kind person post the design again?

At the same time, I hope that you guys can contribute some suggested design (complete with dimensions if possible :P ) for my new sump.

My tank size :35inch (L) x 18 inch(W) x 18 inch(H)

please enlighten :D

Regards,

Jim

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

I am planning to build a sump + refugium for my 3 ft setup. I remember not too long ago, someone posted a sump for sale, and he also put up a drawing with the full dimensions ( he said that is it the same design as ML Henry's). I think the post is gone liao due to the breakdown of the site a while back.

Can the kind person post the design again?

At the same time, I hope that you guys can contribute some suggested design (complete with dimensions if possible :P ) for my new sump.

My tank size :35inch (L) x 18 inch(W) x 18 inch(H)

please enlighten :D

Regards,

Jim

pm me if u found the link k?

• SRC Member

If you don't have overflow to sump, wait for a while and you see thin oil layer on your tank. You then need to use paper tissue or other things to get rid of the layer. Overflow to sump will help it gone.

If you have small tank, then a sump help increase water volume, thus make water easier to stable.

You can put skimmer inside the sump, thus your tank would look nicer.

You can build refugium inside the sump, thus make better nutient export.

With an overflow and a sump, you do not disturb the main tank when you change water.

• SRC Member

Hi, just to share, I made my refugium sump simply by using a 2ft tank(reuse my 2ft after I upgrade to 3ft) and buying glass to silicon in a baffle roughly such that the tank is divided into 0.5ft and 1.5ft. in the 0.5ft section I put my return pump and also my skimmer pump (using weipro which is hung on the outside of tank), the skimmer output goes into the 1.5 ft section which is the refugium. so the idea is water from main tank goes into the 0.5ft section (mechanical filtration occurs in my overflow box which I DIY-ed too), and part of it is immediately returned to the main tank thru return pump, while part of it is skimmed and goes into the refugium which then overflows thru the baffles back into the 0.5 ft section to be pumped back into the main tank or kena sucked back into skimmer. so gd points are that skimmer skims over and over the same water (more effecient) and refugium gets reduced water flow.

Custom-make 1 of suitable design for urs... with reference to the design of the Ecosystem....

yes..i intent to custom make....thats why i request for contribution to ideas <_<

'with ref to the design of the Ecosystem' : Sounds impressive, but what is the design of the Ecosystem?

Have you got an idea to share? ;) one with more details? :lol:

Hi, just to share, I made my refugium sump simply by using a 2ft tank(reuse my 2ft after I upgrade to 3ft) and buying glass to silicon in a baffle roughly such that the tank is divided into 0.5ft and 1.5ft. in the 0.5ft section I put my return pump and also my skimmer pump (using weipro which is hung on the outside of tank), the skimmer output goes into the 1.5 ft section which is the refugium. so the idea is water from main tank goes into the 0.5ft section (mechanical filtration occurs in my overflow box which I DIY-ed too), and part of it is immediately returned to the main tank thru return pump, while part of it is skimmed and goes into the refugium which then overflows thru the baffles back into the 0.5 ft section to be pumped back into the main tank or kena sucked back into skimmer. so gd points are that skimmer skims over and over the same water (more effecient) and refugium gets reduced water flow.

Thanks Pal! This is the kind of post I'm looking for.

More please...with drawings will be great ;)

• SRC Member

check out the thread by golden tooth on his new tank.

he has a pic of his sump there...u might wanna have a look at his sump design.

other than that, doing a search on the interenet for "DIY sump" or "sump design" will yield you some webbys where u can see some designs too.

most importantly, the sump has to have sufficient space for you to put in ur skimmer and the return pump.

:lol: