neccessary to feed vegie or algea to tangs???

• SRC Member

nori is good.. my yellow tang became so fat when i started feeding it.. but MIA since then.. it's been 5 mths and it's still MIA.. :cry: .....

the body was never found.....

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

can anione comment on it

:thanks:

Feeding of green foods are a must for herbivorous fishes such as tangs and angels, they seems to thrive with a good complement of green foods in their diet.

For me I prefer greens from marine origin such a macro-algae, dried seaweeds (used for sushi making or simply prepared pellets. I try to avoid land based green such as the vegetables we commonly consume as they tends to contain some form Phosphates and also may contain certain nutrients not naturally available in marine based greens. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
nori is good.. my yellow tang became so fat when i started feeding it.. but MIA since then.. it's been 5 mths and it's still MIA.. :cry: .....

the body was never found.....

nori wats thats?? some form of vegie for tangs?? i heard it will be good for tangs to eat algea or vegie stuff too... so any dry good vegoe or algea u guys use??

• SRC Member
nori wats thats?? some form of vegie for tangs?? i heard it will be good for tangs to eat  algea or vegie stuff too... so any dry good vegoe or algea u guys use??

nori are seaweed.. that sometime we put on the soup. :eyebrow::lol: make sure itz not seasoned.. ;) check LFS.. they do have packed dry veggies..

nori wats thats?? some form of vegie for tangs?? i heard it will be good for tangs to eat algea or vegie stuff too... so any dry good vegoe or algea u guys use??

Nori is actually those seaweed we use to wrap sushi. It is the cheapest marine source green to be given to your tangs.

You can either buy those by Ocean Nutrition or buy those for human consumption at any supermarket. Of course those you find in supermarket will be cheaper as compared to Ocean Nutrition.

To be at the safe side most reefers soak those supermarket bought nori overnight in freshwater in case they are artificially seasoned. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Nori is actually those seaweed we use to wrap sushi. It is the cheapest marine source green to be given to your tangs.

You can either buy those by Ocean Nutrition or buy those for human consumption at any supermarket. Of course those you find in supermarket will be cheaper as compared to Ocean Nutrition.

To be at the safe side most reefers soak those supermarket bought nori overnight in freshwater in case they are artificially seasoned. ;)

ooh kk :thanks:

• SRC Member

i bought the brown marine algae from ocean marine.... saw diff kind of sae weed like red marine algea and stuff... wonder wats the diff...btw how do i feed the fish just tear it into pieces and dump it in the tank???

i bought the brown marine algae from ocean marine.... saw diff kind of sae weed like red marine algea and stuff... wonder wats the diff...btw how do i feed the fish just tear it into pieces and dump it in the tank???

Not all fishes feeds on them. Actually those are sold for refugium purposes only afew are accepted by the fishes we kept such as the red bamboo.

I try not to feed with these kind of algae cuz they harbour some form of parasites and sometimes even mantis can in them!

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Not all fishes feeds on them. Actually those are sold for refugium purposes only afew are accepted by the fishes we kept such as the red bamboo.

I try not to feed with these kind of algae cuz they harbour some form of parasites and sometimes even mantis can in them!

its actually dried sea weed leh... still got parasites?? hmm.... so wat nori u feed i tot those are nori...

• SRC Member
its actually dried sea weed leh... still got parasites?? hmm.... so wat nori u feed i tot those are nori...

he is saying abt tt red bamboo which may contain nuisance parasites which come together.. i think i noe wat u got.. i notice a few kind oso.. have u read abt the package? they are juz for diff type of tangs ba.. coz i notice diff pack got diff tang pic.. :lol: correct me if i m wrong..

• SRC Member

he is saying abt tt red bamboo which may contain nuisance parasites which come together.. i think i noe wat u got.. i notice a few kind oso.. have u read abt the package? they are juz for diff type of tangs ba.. coz i notice diff pack got diff tang pic.. :lol: correct me if i m wrong..

ooh so mine is alright lah... but aniway i got piss using it already lah it quite mafan... cos my rocks to collapse when i try to put the sea weed under the rocks... created alot of prob.... nv gonna use it again... now is like floated to the back of the tank below all the rocks have to remove rocks in order to get the sea weed out... and also the back of the sea weed cover says after 6h in tank remove any sea weed left... now how??? hmm aniway ya i guess u are right cos the front of the box for the diff colour algea got state is for tangs or for other type of fish.... but i don think is only for one tang.... they just put in general all tangs eat that... hmmm

Aiyah i thought you were referring to those live ones.

The one you got is the corret one. It can be fed to your herbivours.

Sorry misunderstand. :bow:

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

no prob bro... thanz aniway :yeah:

ooh so mine is alright lah... but aniway i got piss using it already lah it quite mafan... cos my rocks to collapse when i try to put the sea weed under the rocks... created alot of prob.... nv gonna use it again... now is like floated to the back of the tank below all the rocks have to remove rocks in order to get the sea weed out... and also the back of the sea weed cover says after 6h in tank remove any sea weed left... now how??? hmm aniway ya i guess u are right cos the front of the box for the diff colour algea got state is for tangs or for other type of fish.... but i don think is only for one tang.... they just put in general all tangs eat that... hmmm

You have to get those floating feeding rings. then you place the nori within the feeding rings, it will prevent the nori from floating into your sump. :lol:

As you already found out, not all tangs will eat them. This is due to 2 reasons:

1) Tangs although are herbivours have adpted to feed on difeerent algae in the reef so that they do not compete themself to extinction. Thus you will find some tangs prefer macro alage while some prefer filamentous alage.

2) In the reef, algae does not comes from the top of the water, floating algae on top of the water seems unnatural thus they might not take it readily.

For me I do not feed alage or nori directly due to the mess it create. I prefer to feed algae through prepared frozen food. ie Nori that have been soaked over night to be mixed into prepared frozen food and blended together.

One such food can be bought from Henry of Marine Life. He prepares his own blend of frozen food with shrimp, cockles, cuclopeeze and nori. I usually will buy one portion from him bring it back and mixed with some more goodies such as Selcon, Extra Nori, Extra Zooplankton. As the portion are pretty big, I will usually further divide them into smaller portions for ease of use. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of: