Polyfilter vs protein skimmer vs carbon

RMX

• SRC Member

From my new setup, I notice that when I remove one of the poly filter(have 2 inside), my skimmer seem to foam much more. I do not know whether is this a concidence as I am waiting for my skimmer to break in during that time. But always, more is better than less in this case, treat it as a backup :P

I use polyfilters too in my setup... it is the only filtermedia known to absorb metals, organics and phosphates.

Perhaps someone should do a product review?

By the way, what's the original question? B)

• SRC Member
From my new setup, I notice that when I remove one of the poly filter(have 2 inside), my skimmer seem to foam much more. I do not know whether is this a concidence as I am waiting for my skimmer to break in during that time. But always, more is better than less in this case, treat it as a backup :P

Hey you're not alone, clowntrigger! My skimmer produced much less foam when i put in one piece of polyfilter! I had to turn the flow rate all the way up to get the foam level back on line... Guess the filter really works huh?

:)

• SRC Member

I think it might be true like what AT say, it absorb metals, organics and phosphates, thus less organics for the skimmer to skip. But I think a skimmer is more effective as the organics are skim out of the water, whereas in polyfilter, it is still in the water. In polyfilter, it is difficult to judge whether the pad is End of life or not, get what I mean, so the best, have all the three, carbon, polyfilter and skimmer :lol:

• SRC Member

was trying to search for tis particular thread that someone provided a link abt our tap water containing salicates n ways to remove it by pouring the water from one pail to another wif a media filtering out the undesirable salicates.

since we're somewat on this topic of filtering phosphates n several other unwanted elements from the water, can i use the polyfilter as the media using the method above??

Polyfilters are used in blood dialysis, where it takes out impurities from the blood... what do you think! ;)

They do not apparently release them into the water... you will know when it's time to change polyfilters when you see them turn very dark in colour.. different colours mean different stuff are pulled out from water.

I used them because in the past, I have a brass check valve in my tank and was afraid of copper leaching... but I have never seen my polyfilter turn reddish. Maybe I was lucky! :ph34r:

• SRC Member

Polyfilter is excellent stuff. I use it in place of carbon. Unless you can afford to change the polyfilter everyday, on the long run, protein skimmer are cheaper to use. Maybe in tanks 10gal or less, it might be able to keep up with the DOC, but again, it's the cost on the long run to keep replacing the it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I think to keep to the original topic of this thread...

Protein skimmers are a #1 priority because they not only skim out DOC but also help oxygenate the water.

Carbon is mainly an absorbent for DOC but gets saturated easily and must be disposed off regularly before it leaches everything back into the water. Its cheap.

Polyfilters are good absorbents for a whole lot of stuff (seems really the only 'miracle' filter around. It doesn't need to be replaced EVERYDAY as Tanzy (jokingly) says but you'll know when the colour changes. Its expensive.

So there is no #2 or #3... only budget. ;)

• SRC Member
Polyfilters are good absorbents for a whole lot of stuff (seems really the only 'miracle' filter around. It doesn't need to be replaced EVERYDAY as Tanzy (jokingly) says but you'll know when the colour changes. Its expensive.

I'm not joking. In a sizeable fully running system, lets say 120gal, if the skimmer is removed, the polyfilter will be saturated by DOC very quickly. This is based on the assumption that in the system there are no other nutrient export systems like macroalgae.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I'm not joking. In a sizeable fully running system, lets say 120gal, if the skimmer is removed, the polyfilter will be saturated by DOC very quickly. This is based on the assumption that in the system there are no other nutrient export systems like macroalgae.

Does your assumption exclude a skimmer?

I haven't heard of such a filthy tank that can turn a polyfilter pad black in one day! :blink:

• SRC Member

If I were to pour skimmate produced by my skimmer in 24 hrs onto a polyfilter, it won't go all the way black but will most certainly turn olive green. I replace the polyfilter when it turns olive green, I never wait till it goes black.

Of course, this is without experimentat data. Perhaps a bit exaggerated, but it won't be too far of course to assume that the polyfilter will be overwhelmed by the amount of DOC in mature system if the skimmer is removed.

post-36-1093875548.jpg