Need help on eggcrate/Live Rock Setup

• SRC Member

I need someone who can help me design and develop a live rock rack for my new tank....

My tank size is 5ft (length) x 2ft (width) and 27inch (Depth)... Going for 5" DSB in main tank so the rack is required....

Is there anyone who is able to do and provide it as a service here?

Pls pm me if u provide such services or if u know of anyone who does...

• SRC Member
What are you trying to use the rack for? Are you trying to create a wall or a shelf?

Anyway, perhaps if you state your area of residence some friendly reefer will be able to help you.

Its for creating a live rock wall behind... Juz like the pix below (from bum)

Not really a DIY person so not really able to do this, I muz get drill, get saw... sigh....

Hey, anyone can lend a hand and help design and build, I will pay for the service.... ;)

Thks! :lol::D:lol:

post-6-1106529926.jpg

• SRC Member

MAN! Actually.... seamonkee u guy or gal?

Anyway, seeing what you want.... it's a breeze. I thought u were after some serious multi-level shelf or inwater condominium for your fishies.

All you need is a pair of clippers to cut the egg crate and tie wraps (must be one of the BEST inventions of the century!).

I'll go dig in my bits box and see if i have any spare crates, then i'll post the pic for ya.

• SRC Member
MAN! Actually.... seamonkee u guy or gal?

Anyway, seeing what you want.... it's a breeze. I thought u were after some serious multi-level shelf or inwater condominium for your fishies.

All you need is a pair of clippers to cut the egg crate and tie wraps (must be one of the BEST inventions of the century!).

I'll go dig in my bits box and see if i have any spare crates, then i'll post the pic for ya.

bro...

seamonkee has a history of back problems.

dats y he can't do most of the DIY stuff we can do...for fear of aggravating his back again.

• SRC Member

bro...

seamonkee has a history of back problems.

dats y he can't do most of the DIY stuff we can do...for fear of aggravating his back again.

Thks diabolus.... :)

I was glad to even have terryansimon volunteered to help me shift the live rocks.... regarding my back...

Thks too guinness.... not that I not man or guy lah... Making live rock racks I know won't aggravate my back.... juz that I really dunno where to start and how to go about.... Really a nincompoop when it comes to DIY matters.... :)

I got a bunch of cable ties though.... hehe... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

lemme dig out my archive collected long ago for reference..

Step 1

We built this frame out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe.  Since we have an acrylic tank, we glued the frame so that we could split it into two smaller sections which could pass through the access holes in the top of the tank.  Holes were drilled in numerous places in the frame, which served two functions: (1) they allowed us to pass cable ties (see below) through them, and (2) they prevent the formation of anoxic areas inside the pipe.

post-6-1106577718.gif

• SRC Member
Step 1 (side view)

We decided to make "shelves" out of the PVC.  This proved to be very helpful because we could give the rocks a "staggered" look. Note the holes drilled liberally through the PVC. We did NOT put the frame as far back as is shown in this picture -- we left room to put hidden powerheads behind the rock.

post-6-1106577777.gif

• SRC Member
Step 2

With the frames in place, we used cable ties to attach rock to the frame. Cable ties were passed either through natural holes in the rock, or through holes that we drilled.  Drilling was with a cordless drill and a masonry drill bit.  We found that it was extremely easy to drill natural rock, but the few pieces of man-made rock that we had from our 55ga aquarium were impossible to drill using this method.

post-6-1106577851.gif

• SRC Member
Step 3

As we continued to build from the bottom up, we continued to attach rock to the frame and to each other with cable ties.  The cable ties were so effective and easy to use that we decided NOT to use the marine epoxy we had also purchased.  The use of the frame and cable ties allowed us to build a very "loose" structure with plenty of overhangs, holes, and caves for fish and other sea creatures to enjoy.

post-6-1106577944.gif

• SRC Member

Where you stay? Just buy yrself a sheet of eggcrate and I'll help ya. BTW, no payment is required. :peace:

Sounds great.... I go get some PVC pipes and egg crates...

Juz bought a Bosch Drill and a saw specially for this project..... :lol::D:lol:

Gonna become DIY man sooner or later lah....

Can pm me ur contact?

BTW, I stay near Kallang.... at Jalan Batu...

• SRC Member

Purposely went to buy these today.... just to do the rack :lol::D:lol:

Also a bit sick and tired of borrowing drill from neighbours time and again....

EVERY MAN SHOULD HAVE ONE!!! :evil:

post-6-1106652006.jpg

• SRC Member

bro...when u doing rockscaping and need help...i dont mind helping u...if its a weekend and i am free lar...a tank which is more then 2ft deep is really back breaking....my tank 2.5ft deep and my back hurts after doing rockscape...even when its on the floor!!! :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
bro...when u doing rockscaping and need help...i dont mind helping u...if its a weekend and i am free lar...a tank which is more then 2ft deep is really back breaking....my tank 2.5ft deep and my back hurts after doing rockscape...even when its on the floor!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thks! So many wonderful people in the reef club!!! I am so touched... :cry::cry::ooh::sick::lol::D:lol::D

• SRC Member

i feel like doing my Aquascaping...

:unsure: don know if i should add powerhead to the LR.

Seamonkey its damn nice for ppl to help u.

i am interested to get ppl to help me but too paiseh as my Tank is 3 ft height.

damn shiong...

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.