How bad are crabs?

kokhui

• SRC Member

the best crab is those serve with chilli sauce and cold beer at seafood restuarants... and the company is paying for it... ;)

I removed them as hitch hikers from LR and had never tot of getting one... oh.., those sharp snippers looks dangerous enough for my prized anemone.

• SRC Member

:lol::lol::lol: I love pepper crab...... :lol:

For me, never really bother about them. I have spot some crabs in my tank, did not do much harm.....no casualities, no topple of corals, free scavengers..... since we pay so much for a piece of 'LIVE' ROCK.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
I have seen a picture here somewhere in SRC of a sally light foot crab eating  a fire goby. Can't remember at which thread.

Besides crabs toppling the corals, will they hurt them in any other way?  :ph34r:

kokhui, I think you mean this one ...

post-34-1106302487.jpg

Read about it here.

By that same evening, Sally has eaten more than half the fish already. You can still see the pinkish colour of the firefish's head. The photo insert shows the cross section of the fish from another angle. :angry:

post-72-1106820943.jpg

• SRC Member

Thats's right William. That's the thread. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I wanted to ask this question because with all talk about crabs being bad for the reef, I took out some of LRs (Those that I saw carabs hiiden inside) and do the FW dip and managed to get rid of 3 of them. One of them the hairy type.

There are some more I think, not sure if I should do more dips, some of them are hiding in the base rocks! :(