473 members have voted

1. 1. Temp for SPS Tank

• 24C And Below
    • 25-26C
    • 27-28C
    • 29-30C
    • 31C Above

• SRC Member

I just installed Chiller for my 3x1.5x1.5 SPS tank with 3x1.5x1.5 sump.

Winthin 2 weeks, all my browines collections ( 3 small colonies ) start coloring.............. and nothing changed withing these 2 weeks

My water params,

PH 8.3

Ca 460

Mg 1380

Kh 8.5~9

NO2 0

NO3 0

PO4 0.25 ( up from 0 so guess need to change media in FR )

My tank temp was 26.5C ( 80F ) and now stable at 24C ( 74F ).

So I am just wonder whether any of your guys keep your SPS at 24C ( 74F ).....

Please do share your temp and success.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
I keep mine around 25 but on windless hot days + 1600w of MH - it can go up to 28C.

Ayi, I though your @ 24, so I set mine @ 24. Now seen like I got to change back :angry: However I wanna like 24-25 cause water is cold whenever I touch.

Anymore SPS keeper ?. I believe there is no right or wrong on temp just matter of beliving :)

Cheers

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Winthin 2 weeks, all my browines collections ( 3 small colonies ) start coloring..............

My tank temp was 26.5C ( 80F ) and now stable at 24C ( 74F ).

Hi. You mean the lower temperature has helped your SPS to colour up? This is interesting. I didn't know that.

My tank's temperature is between 26.5 - 28.5 deg C. Should I lower it to 24 - 26 deg C? :thanks:

One benefit of a lower temp ( say 26C ) that I see would be that on a hot day, the the temp rises up to maybe 28C and that is still within the stress threshold of the SPS... but if set at 27C and the temp rises till 29C, that might stress the SPS... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

One benefit of a lower temp ( say 26C ) that I see would be that on a hot day, the the temp rises up to maybe 28C and that is still within the stress threshold of the SPS... but if set at 27C and the temp rises till 29C, that might stress the SPS... :)

If you got a garang chiller that can hold the temperature why is there a need to worry abt the temp shooting up?

Unless you get a chiller that can barely keep up with the cooling so on extra hot days it can't keep the temp down and instead the temp just keep shooting up. When this happen, just shut down the lights :P

If you got a garang chiller that can hold the temperature why is there a need to worry abt the temp shooting up?

Unless you get a chiller that can barely keep up with the cooling so on extra hot days it can't keep the temp down and instead the temp just keep shooting up. When this happen, just shut down the lights :P

Hehehe... dat's just a thought that the temp might shoot up... But since I'm not using a chiller, my experience in this area still very little... :paiseh:

Anyway, WL, I thought of getting a CL-650 for my 100g tank... u tink it's garang enough?? Thought of using it for the time being and when I upgrade to a 6 footer, just sell away, and if it breaks down, can just discard, but would like to keep the costs low for now... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

I could be wrong but I had always thought that a properly sized chiller's compressor shouldn't be running 24x7. The compressor kicks in when temperature raises to the upper threshold (eg. 28 deg C) and stops when it drops down to the lower threshold (eg. 26 deg C).

Therefore, the tank's temperature shouldn't go above the set upper threshold much.

I've no comments on these type questions anymore :P

Post already everyone got different opinion.

Previously posted artica and then got other pple come post abt some lower cost china made chiller at much cheaper price saying the performance is good etc (only after modification). End up someone tank crash because that particular brand chiller kon out and LS kanna fried. Nowadays don't see them toking too much abt these chiller anymore.

IMHO want to buy better buy something reliable and that can confirm cool down your tank properly and your tank temp won't shoot up beyond the set point even hot and non-windy days. Cos your tank relies on the chiller to cool it.

• SRC Member
A properly sized chiller will have this characteristic:

From the chart, it appears that the chiller has been set at 25.1 deg C with a differential of 0.7 deg C (i.e. upper threshold of 25.8 deg C).

With such a small differential, the temperature fluctuation is kept to a minimum -- but the disadvantage is that the compressor starts-stops very frequently. Which translates to higher electrical consumption and shorter compressor life.

I was advised to set my differential to 2 deg C. I was told that the 2 deg C fluctuation (which occurs gradually throughout the day) is fine.

Any comments? Thanks.

• SRC Member

AlfaRomeo : Wow cool! How do you get the plot? Care to reveal?

williammuk : How to set the differentia temperature in chiller and do all chiller equip with such capability?

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

The chiller I use has a differential of 0.8 deg C which is about 2 deg F. Actually the standard delta of 2 should be used with F and not C.

Anyway, a delta of 2 deg C is acceptable with no known issues/problems.

If I use the IKS to control the temp, the delta will be 0.2C!! Super stable temp but frequent kicking in and out of the chiller which might lead to premature failure of the chiller. :)