help on this problem...

• SRC Member

hey guys... after i feed my frogspawn coral food, ... the water seems very different... 1 week and my whole sand bed become like this and the glass... also ... i have very strong flow in the tank but my LR and almost anything that have contact with the water becomes like this .... Please advise...

It's all brown almost everywhere...

including the surface of the water...

the browning problem really give me a real headache.... pls help... thanks

post-6-1106807084.jpg

1154750779_a95e183733_o.gif

--Tank--

3.8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft - 12mm(Main) Ñ„ 3ft x 2ft x 2ft - 8mm (Sump)

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

• SRC Member

I think you have high nitrate, PO4 and silicate reading...... Do some partial water change and put some rowaphos in a filterbag and dump it in your filter compartment should help.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Should read the last page.

We can all agree that aglae can be a pest and sometimes takes much of the enjoyment out of our aquariums. However, if we look at the presence of aglae as an inevitability and modify the way we treat it, the problem does not loom so large.You will not kill all of the aglae so you might as well figure out how much you are willing to accept. Once the aglae starts to grow, take a good look at it and try to figure out why it is growing. What conditions are encouraging the growth and see what the tank is trying to tell you? Devise a plan to control the aglae and stick to it. Take things slow, use the tools discussed in this article and make small adjustments to your plan as needed. But no matter what you do, enjoy your aquarium and your hobby and, as I always say, "Don't sweat the green stuff" ... or blue ... or red ... or brown ... or whatever it is.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

yo bro

high nitrate and phosphate levels

as for your circulation not strong enough

do 20% water change to bring down no3 and po4 levels and change to a stronger circulation pump

my tank circulating with tunze(6000L/hr) and use rowaphos, never got those brownies except at dead spots

my 2 cents

• SRC Member
Wow, you all are experts! Can advise even without knowing the water parameters etc etc. Cool!

they may have good crystal balls which work damn well and seamlessly with the new Starhub Maxonline 6500 plan....

tmd... *peering hard into marble which is connected to 56K v.92 modem*

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
Wow, you all are experts! Can advise even without knowing the water parameters etc etc. Cool!

bro, what water parameters u need? KH? cal? With diatom growing everywhere surely tell the experience reefers something, right? That's why I say, "your nitrate, PO4 and silicate reading must be high." He can go and buy testkits for measurement...... even without measurement, his problem can be solved if he do some partial water change and introducing some rowaphos in filter compartment couple with the rest of recommendation from other fellow reefers. ;)

• SRC Member

well...

for a start, how sure are you that those are diatoms?

the pics are not very clear, it could very well be dinos.

Without water parameters, how do you know his PO4 and NO3 is high? wat if he reports back that his PO4 is <0.1 and NO3 is 5?

wat kind of advises you guys going to give him now?

do water change to bring down PO4 and NO3?

<_<

• SRC Member

To me, any kind of undesireable algae means nutrients in water. PARTIAL WATER CHANGE and some ROWAPHOS and REDUCE LIGHTING , etc, etc WILL HELPS.

U can have high nitrate but free of undesireable algae not vis vera ;)

• SRC Member

all these speculations on his nutrient content of his tank isn't doing anything except to start an arguement between people on opposite sides

so lets jus stop speculating and wait for him to tell us his water parameters

burnerj, your call

• SRC Member

Let me have a go at this advice thingie without proper parameters known.

Livestock too high, Reduce it. Do a 20% waterchange every even day to bring down your NO3/PO3 which must be extremely high for those algae to grow. Feed 1 x per week to minimise nutrient input. Use RO/DI for water changes. Run rowaphos to absorb PO4 and silicates. Reduce lighting period. Use a good quality salt to minimize contaminants. Monitor your PH swing cos too low a ph will release pooled po4 from the sandbed and Liverocks. Run zeovit to lower the nutrient further but make sure you dunt run rowaphos and zeovit at the same time. Take off your LRs and give it a good scrub. Get enuff critters to work on the sandbed and LR. Use ozone to reduce DOCs. Get an oversized bubbleking skimmer to 'overskim' the water to help with the nutrients. UV will help to break down the nutrients and free floating algae too so that the skimmer can extract it out. Increase turnover rate to the sump and also turnover rate in the tank itself- put in a Tunze stream will do. your light must be changed cos incorrect spectrum or too old. Employ a DSB to help with the nutrient too but this will take time to mature. Az-NO3 will help with the immediate very high nitrates that you are facing now.

Did I cover everything?

• SRC Member

Livestock too high, Reduce it. Do a 20% waterchange every even day to bring down your NO3/PO3 which must be extremely high for those algae to grow. Feed 1 x per week to minimise nutrient input. Use RO/DI for water changes. Run rowaphos to absorb PO4 and silicates. Reduce lighting period. Use a good quality salt to minimize contaminants. Monitor your PH swing cos too low a ph will release pooled po4 from the sandbed and Liverocks. Run zeovit to lower the nutrient further but make sure you dunt run rowaphos and zeovit at the same time. Take off your LRs and give it a good scrub. Get enuff critters to work on the sandbed and LR. Use ozone to reduce DOCs. Get an oversized bubbleking skimmer to 'overskim' the water to help with the nutrients. UV will help to break down the nutrients and free floating algae too so that the skimmer can extract it out. Increase turnover rate to the sump and also turnover rate in the tank itself- put in a Tunze stream will do. your light must be changed cos incorrect spectrum or too old. Employ a DSB to help with the nutrient too but this will take time to mature. Az-NO3 will help with the immediate very high nitrates that you are facing now.

Did I cover everything?

Almost :)

:lol: you left nothing much and that includes the money in the saving account :lol:

... use more life rocks...

• SRC Member
AlfaRomeo Posted on Jan 27 2005, 05:46 PM

Did I cover everything? 

hm.....did I offend anyone here with my chatter box nature? :fear:

• SRC Member

:off:

whats the point of a forum if we can't express our opinions directly ?

Of couse other than respecting the rules lay by the forum's mod.

We just have to agree to disagree.. and don't take thing perosnally lor...

Kareen, please keep up the CNY mood :)

• SRC Member

views can be expressed directly without sarcasm right?

don't tell me each time you wanna express something directly it has to be sarcastic right?

not that i wanna pick on you huanjie but sarcasm really makes threads unpleasant to read right?