Sick Brain Coral

mantis

Hi,

Problem: My brain coral has (wat appear to be) green algae growing on it. Pls see attached picture. Problem started a few weeks ago.

Actions Taken so far : Have tried dipping it in "Reef Pure - Coral Dip & Conditioner".

Result : Reef Pure product not helping. Algae (?) appears to be spreading. :o

Would appreciate any bros here who can offer serious advice on what to do to help this piece of coral. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi,

Problem: My brain coral has (wat appear to be) green algae growing on it. Pls see attached picture. Problem started a few weeks ago.

Actions Taken so far : Have tried dipping it in "Reef Pure - Coral Dip & Conditioner".

Result : Reef Pure product not helping. Algae (?) appears to be spreading. :o

Would appreciate any bros here who can offer serious advice on what to do to help this piece of coral. :thanks:

This normally happens when you place the brain too near the lights, the tissue tends to recede, it doesn't look good but it won't die and will hang on for a long time, not easy for the tissue to grow back though.

Thks for the replies.

Tineng :

:huh: I hvn't checked the water para for awhile actually but I do periodic water changes twice weekly of about 15-20%.

My tank configuration consists of a 3 footer main tank with about 3 inches of sand, lots of LR. Main tank connected to a 2.5" sump and another 2" refugium with DSB, more LR and plenty of copepods. Main tank has lots of water circulation and lit by 4xT5 39w and 1xAntinic Blue. Don't want to get more lights now as I may be upgrading tank soon and switching to MH.

Got Protein Skimmer which seems to be doing its job as I see lots of skimate, a chiller that's keeps the water temp at around 25-26 degree Celcius.

LS consists of 1xAsfur Angel, 3x 'nemo', 1xmandarine, 1xYellow Tang, 1x Algae blennies, 5xcamel shrimps (?), 1xcoral banded shrimps, 2xorange-legged hermit, 1xsquamosa (ard 4inches). SPS consists of two small acropora - they seems fine without any problems except not much colour becos not enuf lights, I think.

Any advice, pls.

Marineman :

I also suspect that placement too near light may be a cause as I see LR near light also hving more 'green' algae growth - but not that much as Algae blennies does a good job of cleaning them.

Do u guys know of any solution which I can use to get rid of the 'green' stuff on the brain coral without harming the coral? Or any other advices, pls.

:thanks:

post-7-1106929088.jpg

could it be the camel shrimps?

they are not very reef safe leh.

:nc:

It's 'Peppermint Shrimps' actually. Not sure if they'r same as Camel Shrimps? Nvr see them disturb my few coral leh. Anyway, will take note if I decide to go full steam on corals. Right now, actually just testing on corals. Not easy to keep SPS, I find. That's why when I see the bros here and their fantastic reef tank, I .... :bow:

• SRC Member

How old is your bulb, may I ask. Sometime the spectrum shift might favour algae more..... (I had similar experiences in planted tank) Another factor that aggreate the growth is also that u put it near to the light source.....

**This is just novice's view...... **

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

How old is your bulb, may I ask. Sometime the spectrum shift might favour algae more..... (I had similar experiences in planted tank) Another factor that aggreate the growth is also that u put it near to the light source.....

**This is just novice's view...... **

Your advice is welcomed...novice or otherwise..it's the sharing that's counts. :peace: Will certain check my lights and perhaps change its positioning. :thanks:

It's peppermint for sure. Anyway, I m deviating the the issue wc is the brain coral.....how bros, any advice? :thanks:

Hi Diabolus, Shoelevy:

I managed to get a shot (not a good one though) of that shrimp of contention. Perhaps u can confirm that it's a peppermint and it reef safe. :thanks:

post-7-1106973798.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Diabolus, Shoelevy:

I managed to get a shot (not a good one though) of that shrimp of contention. Perhaps u can confirm that it's a peppermint and it reef safe. :thanks:

Thats a camel shrimp, not really reef safe...........but they normally dont disturb ur corals unless the coral is already deteriorating, it will then feed on it.

You might wanna monitor ur Asfur angel, angels are famous for nipping/feeding on brains, afterwhich algaes will grow on the damage part.

Eric

Thats a camel shrimp, not really reef safe...........but they normally dont disturb ur corals unless the coral is already deteriorating, it will then feed on it.

You might wanna monitor ur Asfur angel, angels are famous for nipping/feeding on brains, afterwhich algaes will grow on the damage part.

Eric

Ok. Sounds sensible. Thanks for the advice. :)