Nick's 2Ft Nano Tank

nicholas_yeo

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Dead water' column: Saw 2 regions where lack of movement was visible Algaes was growing out from the sand during the ANN Cycle. I did a test by dropping in pellet food and see where it lands and both will always end up in the 2 highlighted region.

I fixed the left column by putting another LR over it. I will leave the right column alone as it is good hiding spots for the shrimps later.

post-69-1107495100.jpg

Finally, time to put in the 1st set of corals. :yeah:

My toadstool leather and green mushroom was the 1st to entry. Follow by Orange Polyp and finger leather 2 days later. Hee.. all blooming and open up. Also add in 2 turbo snails to start working on the cleaning up for CNY.

Looks like a good start for reefing :D

post-69-1107495981.jpg

• SRC Member

hey..if u dun run chiller ..the water temp will be very hot (more than 29 deg cel) ..unless ur place is running aircon 24/7... if not i suggest u get a ac fan...

too hot..everything in your tank will suffer ..considering u got two light

:rolleyes:

alamak, didn't know about that. I didn't dip the zoos into FW.

That 'nudibranch' was no where found - ninja liao. jialak......

how to tell it is in discomfort??? today it opens nearly 100%..... I was concern that I position it incorrectly. (Right now, it is enjoy med light and med current). I was thinking of positioning it closer to the indirect current. Will try later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Guys, can help. What is this ? It is moving in my tank, only saw it today. Could be a hitch-hiker from the coral rocks.

it looks like it has pink/white tentacles and no shell. As if like an anemone but doesn't look like a antipsa anemone to me.

it seems like Berghia nudibranch to me..they are good for controlling pest anemone..

where there is no more pest anemone around..they will die naturally..

did hear some ppl complain that they feed actually feeds on "mild stinging" corals as well (such as zoo and etc)

;)

• SRC Member
Bro,better get rid the nud asap if not ur button coral will suffer.Did u dip ur button with FW before u put in ur tank?

hi guys... wats FW??

cjh: FW is fresh water .It is done (declorinated) to corals like a dip to get all those unwanted critters to 'evacaute' from the host.....

Gothia: Yah, I noticed.... hee :P too poor lah. all the colorful stuffs cost a bomb. Most of the LFS didn't have much shipments till end of this wk.

The next selection in my pipeline

Fish / invert:

1) Yellow Tang

2) One more clown fish

3) Red Blood shrimp

Corals & others

1) White / pink elegance (saving hard to keep this next)

2) red or green prata (too expensive now.... no $$$ to spend on this one)

3) Blue / Red mushroom (damm hard to find.... )

4) Coco worms

Let me know if anyone got any suggestion to put other corals in there. Even better, recommend me the shop that carry it. I am hopping around Reborn, Sealife and aquamarin to look for a nice stock

Hi all

Due to the long holiday during CNY, my office was shutdown for a few. Coz a few concerns like maintaining stability of calcium and KH plus top up water. Decided to DIY top up container using drip method; as cheap as it goes

1) Container (5 litres) - $2.50

2) Air valve - $0.25

3) Silicon - use leftover from previous DIY

4) Acrylic Frame / stand - use sheets from leftover previously DIY

Stand:

I use gas cooker to heat up the acrylic and make a couple of bends... :evil: damm thing is hot, burn a couple of my fingers... :paiseh: but manage to get the shape I want.

Then use silicon to glue it together. Pretty sturdy. Try it out and it holds well.

Drip valve

Next use a iron solder to 'poke' a hole in the container, make is slightly smaller than the air valve diameter and squeeze it in. Then finally apply silicon glue over the area.

It wasn't a sturdy joint - if u pull hard enough, darn thing will fall off. But it holds and no leaking..... hey, whats to complain.... dirt cheap idea.

Finally, use duct tape to hold the box on the acrylic holder and we have a workable drip.....

Only problem is the drip sometimes is not consistent due to the pressure drop over reduced water vol. But sure beat spending a couple of hundreds to get a pro version. :heh:

Tested it. Full capacity will drip over 6 hrs. This allow my tank to be without top up water for as least 5 days.... at least next time can take vacation... whew :D

post-69-1108664675.jpg

Found another nudibranch crawling on my tank..... similar to the last one except this one was yellow. The previous one was KIA when he try 'diving' into my sump.... :nuke:

Took a pretty clear snapshot of it as it was crawling on the glass. Can even see its translucent body. :lol:

Didnt know if it is 'dangerous' yet, no idea as well where did it pops out from. Looks like I have to make sure I dip my corals next time on my purchase

post-69-1108665009.jpg

new members are added to the family.

Livestocks

------------------

false percula clowns x 2

blue star fish

cleaner shrimps x 2

yellow tang

turbo snails x 2

feather worm x 1

Corals

-----------------