How often do you clean your skimmer?

How often do you clear off skimmate from your skimmer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you clear off skimmate from your skimmer?

• Twice a day
    • Everyday
    • Once every 2 days
    • Twice a week
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Quarterly
    • Huh? Must clean skimmer meh?

• SRC Member
for my macro i clean it 2 times weekly ... realise if too much "mud" collect at the rim, the bubbles have a hard time pushing their way up

I have the same problem.. somehow after the foam reaches the cap and the first few mm of skimmate build up in the cup, no more skimmate comes out... probably coz the build up of foam at the cup doesn't allow for more to come out..

So in the end all the skimmate just builds up at the neck till it's super thick...

I'm considering modifying the cap to allow the foam to get into the collection cup more easily...

I have the same problem.. somehow after the foam reaches the cap and the first few mm of skimmate build up in the cup, no more skimmate comes out... probably coz the build up of foam at the cup doesn't allow for more to come out..

So in the end all the skimmate just builds up at the neck till it's super thick...

I'm considering modifying the cap to allow the foam to get into the collection cup more easily...

Alternatively you can try rising the water level in the skimmer to skim wetter skimmate

• SRC Member

Provided your skimmer is easy to do maintaince... else if have to release so many screws to clean the collection cup and you do it daily then I really :bow::bow::bow:

yah.. thats one disadvantage of beckett. But tuning to a wetter skimate will solve the problem

• SRC Member

Logically, you will need to clean at least 1x daily for max efficiency. That is exactly why Deltec came out with a Self-Cleaning Head and they calim that it will improve the skimmers performance by 20%! The major disadvantage with the SCH is the cost! Can almost buy another Deltec skimmer for the cost of the SCH itself. wow!

• SRC Member

I do my little HS once a week on Sunday. I have noticed that if I dont clean it, there is less skimmate collected in the cup (the first 1 week supply builds up very fast, but the next subsequent week very little change).

But coming back to the beckett, I would hate the thumbscrews on the becketts if I have to do frequent cleaning.

• SRC Member
I do my little HS once a week on Sunday. I have noticed that if I dont clean it, there is less skimmate collected in the cup (the first 1 week supply builds up very fast, but the next subsequent week very little change).

But coming back to the beckett, I would hate the thumbscrews on the becketts if I have to do frequent cleaning.

Although I am using Weipro, I am also facing the same situation, i.e skimmate does not increase linearly with time. So it seems that there is a cap to the amount of skimmate being coughed out, rather than being "generated unlimitedly" over time?

;);)

• SRC Member

Interestingly, there seem to have quite a few reefers who clean their skimmer on monthly basis (18%). Would anyone like to share how they ensure the effectiveness of the skimming with the "low" maintenance, e.g "over skim" or "under feed"? :P

• SRC Member

Use both methods together. Feed sparingly for the fishes and overskim the tank. I was overskimming my tank but overfeeding it too and was rewarded with the red carpet treatment. Have reduced feeding and the carpet is slowly going away. Another factor in my cyano outbreak is the lower than recommended flow thru my zeovit reactor. I was running it at 1/2 the required flowrate!