How long should my sump be?

• SRC Member
Hi, I intend to build a 5(L)x1.5(W)x2.5(H) tank with a sump below. However, due to space constriant, the sump can only be 4(L)x1.5(W)x1(H) ft. Is the sump size sufficient?

Thanks.

of course the bigger the better....

u have to considered yr cabinent space.... minus of equipment in cabinent... some allowance here and there.....

the question is not how long should it be... but how long can it be....

long enuff for yr cabinent to accomodate it plus all yr equipment...

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

i guess 4 ft is the longest it can go. Now for the million dollar question: How should I compartmentalise it? I intend to have a skimmer and FR. Read up on the sump design, but the views and comments available were vastly different. Some advocate DSB, some swears by a refugium, others use bio-ball/ceramic rings etc.

So what should I do? Very confusing for newbies like me!! :blink:

• SRC Member

I am also having the same problem in my sump design. I am also thinking of making a 5 footer and a 4 footer sump. But I intend to put my return pumps externally, which makes it impossible to put CR and FR in the cabinet.

As for the refugium as well, there is also the problem of flow rate. I intend to use 2 x 6000l/h return and I believe at this flow rate a DSB will not be very effective. Also very vex over this.

My readings indicate to me that ceremic rings and bio balls are not advisable as they tend to trap wastes. You can use more live rocks as filter media.

sheltiejazz, care to share your findlings and design ideas?

• SRC Member

Do lots of research before you decide on anything and then kit it out for the kind of LS you planning to keep. I personally went from Refuge with a DSB in the sump to DSB only to just a bare sump for holding water for processing by the skimmer/reactor/chiller etc etc.

My sump dimension is 2.5' x 15" x15". Holds water only. A little bit small indeed for my 4x2x2, cos I need to squeeze equipments inside my cabinet and my return are external, should have gone for insump return. :angry: So I can have a longer sump.... :angel:

I am using baresump with skimmer only... I siphon out some detritus out every weekend. I can see pods inside my FR, overflow box, and sometimes some detritus I siphon out has some brittlestars and pods in it.