DIY MH

robe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I'm interested in 400W Radiums. I thought all Osram Radiums are 20000K. If the price is reasonable, I don't mind getting a few.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I have no idea.

They are suppose to be very blue bulbs but give an excellent colour combi with Iwasaki 6500K.

When the 400W is used alone in US, it is always overdriven with a 430W Ballast or the 400W Blueline e-ballast. Any other ballasts runs it at the normal temperature causing it to be too blue to be used on its own.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

You should be able to find all the required info at Metal Halide Lighting Component.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Robe: Hi, got a question to ask a lighting expert like you: Can you install the mh bulbs side by side or together in the same reflector?? say a 250w 6500k iwasaki with a 250w 20kk radium?? Will the output be a blend of the blue and yellow or should the lights be totally separated, becoz i dun really light distinct rays of light (blue and yellow) in separate zones ..ie one side blue, one side yellow.

• SRC Member

I'm fabricating my own spider reflector soon, just CADDed the reflector and did some ray tracing and photon distributing simulation on it. will try making it this dec...dun think its worth 48 USD!!Its quite huge! 40.6cm in length

• SRC Member

Alvin, You always amazed me.....

DIY ed tanks, Skimmers, Korallin Calcium Reactor lookalike....now Spider reflectors...

What next..... Chillers......???? :blink:

Anyway... I'm glad I know you.... :lol:

BTW, better deviate back to the topic of MH DIYing or risk being demoted to bristleworm status...... :lol: ..

Need some help.... can a MH run without a capacitor.....(sounds stupid) but please help.....

Morgan, spoke to Eye lighting, they don't bring the 20 000k bulbs in... and I don't think they have 20 000ks for Iwasakis 250W....

Hi Phang

Just to correct, I have not spoken to Eye Lighting.

I called Penta Lighting for the Radiums Bulb.

• SRC Member

Hi Phang

Just to correct, I have not spoken to Eye Lighting.

I called Penta Lighting for the Radiums Bulb.

Correction...

My statement means....

Morgan,..... ( I have) spoke(n) to Eye Lighting.......

They have 250W 6500k and 150W (6500k and 20 000ks)... the 150W

20 000k comes in DE and SE....(no inbuilt ignitor)...and he did mention

50 000 ks....

:huh:

• SRC Member

You are confusing me, I've only heard of 6500K and 50000K Iwasaki for use in aquarium. Do they have a 20000K?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Hi Folks,

Basically Iwasaki carry the ff:

150w 6500K EyeArc E27 , 20000K Rx7s & E27 , 50000K E27, 10000K Rx7s (Japan only) All use igniters and MH ballast please note that the 20kk, 50KK requires lower ignition voltage 2KV only but can use 4KV though shortens the life

250w & 400W 6500K Clean Ace - uses ordinary mecury vapor ballast cannot use MH ballast w/ igniter (will blow the bulb) as it has built in igniter

recommended capacitor for 150w bulbs is 20uf, 250w 32uf

Radium:

150 w 10000K, 20000K E40 base & Rx7s MH ballast, 4kV igniter 20uf cap

250w, 400w, 1000w 20000K E40 base MH ballast, 4kV igniter,

Ushio

150w 10000K, 20000K E27, Rx7s base

250w 10000K, 20000K E40, FC2 base

400, 1000w 20000K E40 base

Ushio though will refer you to Ushio Singapore and they are not very friendly and sell you the bulbs slightly less than LFS prices -

20000K don't even want to sell here.

Don't patronise Ushio bulbs!

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Jus recently obtained 2 x Iwasakis to be mounted onto canopy...

However a question, would it be neccessary to mount a piece of tempered glass between the surface of water and lights...

My Canopy would be 13.5 inches from water surface... estimate that the lights would take not more than 5 inches from the top... so estimate a 8-9 inches gap between lights and water....

Anyone here use MHs without protective glass???

Saw those canopies made by reefers in US... don't seem to have any protective glass beyween water and MH lights....

Unless you are using HID lights... then you need to get a protective glass that screens out excessive UV.

The iwasakis and radiums bulbs are encased in a glass bulb which are coated with anti-UV already.... so in two words: NO NEED! ;)

• SRC Member
Unless you are using HID lights... then you need to get a protective glass that screens out excessive UV.

The iwasakis and radiums bulbs are encased in a glass bulb which are coated with anti-UV already.... so in two words: NO NEED! ;)

Actually, my concern is more to water splashing onto the bulbs when it is fully functional.... Think glass would crack or blow if there's any contact... :(

• SRC Member

Most definitely will blow if sufficient water get's splashed on, but salt spray won't hurt the bulb except to decrease the light reaching the tank.

8-9" is high enough to allow you to not use glass, but you will have to clean salt spray off the bulb and reflector weekly. I use glass because I realise wiping the glass is ten times easier than unscrewing the bulb and cleaning the reflector. Polished aluminium will be scratched and corroded too.

post-36-1093875548.jpg